Menu

Is anyone here a....

landlord by any chance? We rent a house and one of our rescue dogs is old and has accidents. She has had two recently and when I cleaned the pee up from the WALL TO WALL (of course) carpet, using oxy pet stain remover, it left two bleach spots. Does anyone know how that works when we move out? Am I going to be charged for replacing the entire carpet? One of the stains is in my bedroom (of course) in a very noticeble spot. I am furious that the spots are "bleached" and am going to call the company but they aren't going to do anything probably. Anyone?

Depending on the temperament of your LL, one of (at least) 3 things may occur.

1. The carpet is old enough to where he was thinking of replacing it soon, anyways, combined with the fact you lived there long enough to call it normal wear and tear, means you don't pay.

2. You will have to pay to replace the carpet in specific rooms.

3. You will get stuck with replacing the carpet in the whole house, "so it will match."

As far as contacting the company to complain, I would be willing to bet that somewhere on the bottle are the instructions to test a spot first to make sure the carpet will be ok :(

I'm sorry this happened to you, especially since you are doing such a wonderful thing <3

Well that's the weird thing...we've used this same bottle for several spots and the bleaching NEVER happened. The bottle is not old either. I don't get it. I hope we don't have to replace the whole room and the carpet isn't old so that's not an option! Are you a LL by the way? Just wondering if you've ever run into this and what you did.

It could be the combination of urine and cleaner. We have an older dog that is having accidents everywhere, and the spots are impossible to get out no matter what we use. She had an accident on a braided rug that had foam underneath, and it wasn't seen and cleaned up right away. The wood floor underneath now needs to be sanded and refinished. It looks like the top layer of wood is rotted away. I wish my inlaws would consider doggie diapers for this dog. My son's newish carpet is turning into a toilet.:glare: Luckily this carpet has some kind of built in stain repellent, so the urine is coming out. Not so for the hallway carpet. And the smell... ugh! I am going to block access to my son's room, which I am sure my fil will complain about. In the future I would try a cleaner specifically for pet urine. These can be found in pet stores.

You may be responsible for replacing the carpet, unless it is older carpet and due for replacing anyway. We left our carpet stained when we moved out, but it was old when we moved in. No way was I paying for it! We tried our best to clean it, but we knew it was to be replaced anyway. We were in a large complex, and they had carpet replacement scheduled for every six years or so unless it was horribly stained.

I would make you replace the carpet. It would come out of your security deposit and pet deposit. We put in brand new carpet before we moved because we were trying to sell our house. Now we rent it to pay the mortgage, but it still goes on the market between tenants. Our first tenant's dog (that they were not supposed to have) messed up the carpet and they paid to replace it. Normal wear and tear is one thing, but bleaching spots of the carpet is not normal wear and tear IMO. I am sorry that the cleaner you used bleached the carpet, but if my dog had that problem, I would leave him outside and he has always been an indoor dog. It is not your house.

Our house only has carpet in one small room, so it was not much to replace. I would not think you would have to replace the whole house. Unless the carpet is really old, they can probably still buy the same carpet.

One of the kids stained our carpet in a previous home and we were able to cut out the stained section and replace it with a section from the closet then replace the section from the closet with a piece we got from Home Depot. The piece in the closet wasn't a perfect match but close enough that the landlord was okay with it.

If you go to Home Depot and explain your problem to the carpet guy he should be able to explain the steps but basically we had to seperate the carpet fibers and cut along the line with an exacto knife then use a carpet tape on the underside to connect the patch to the existing carpet.

Are you a LL by the way? Just wondering if you've ever run into this and what you did.

Yes, LL, but have not had this problem. I would expect the carpet in the rooms that are damaged to be replaced.

I really dislike that we allow renters to have pets. There are too many things that can go wrong, but we do it anyway.

On the flip side of that, it seems unethical to charge someone for a full carpet replacement "so it will match." I'm sure there are people who would do that, and that's why laws are written to protect renters.

I'm sorry about your dog. :grouphug:

I was a LL and sadly I would require you to replace the carpet. Now, I had a friend who had this happen and they were able to call out a carpeting company who cut out the small patches and replaced it with new carpet that matched. You could not tell at all. I'm not sure if you shouldn't check with your LL before you do this. I can tell you they didn't and never bothered to tell the rental company and after a very thorough inspection no one ever noticed.

landlord by any chance? We rent a house and one of our rescue dogs is old and has accidents. She has had two recently and when I cleaned the pee up from the WALL TO WALL (of course) carpet, using oxy pet stain remover, it left two bleach spots. Does anyone know how that works when we move out? Am I going to be charged for replacing the entire carpet? One of the stains is in my bedroom (of course) in a very noticeble spot. I am furious that the spots are "bleached" and am going to call the company but they aren't going to do anything probably. Anyone?

Did you do a test spot first?

unless the carpet was already several years old when you moved in, and you've lived there awhile, then yes - you will be charged for replacing the entire carpet when you move out - why should the next renter have to have bleach/pet stains?

You can also try calling a good carpet cleaning company and they might be able to dye the spots to match. (we did that in my mother's condo with her wool berber before renting/selling. because of medication in what caused the stains, the were extremely difficult to get out by a pro and the carpet ended up bleached. after dying, it looked great.)

I assure you, your landlord won't do anything to repair other than replace.

I am a landlord and unless the carpet was close to be needing to be replaced - I would charge you to replace or repair it. We have had a total of 4 tenants in our house in FL - the first one destroyed so much stuff, the second one didn't destroy stuff, but was filthy - had to pay a cleaning company to come out for 4 DAYS, the third were great tenants except they never cleaned the tile floors and I did have to hire a company to deep clean them. The tenants were upset that I took it out of their deposit. I had a friend spend 6 hours trying to clean that tile and it was just beyond dirty. I had no choice to charge them for the deep cleaning. My forth tenants are there now - crossing my fingers that I can just return their deposit when they move out.

I'm fully prepared to pay for the entire room of carpet if it comes to that when we move out. I'm not about to put the dog outside, I wouldn't even consider doing that. It's not her fault she's old and can't hold her urine. That is rude and, in my opinion, animal abuse and I'm not that kind of person. Money is only money and though I don't have alot of it, it's going to cost me alot less to replace the carpet in that room that it would be, on my conscience, to put an old dog outside because she has accidents. To the others that answered, thank you for your responses. I figured I would have to pay for the whole room but I wasn't sure. maybe by the time we move out of here the carpet will be old and need to be replaced but I doubt it as everything in this house is brand new. I''m thankful that our landlords (first time landlords) took a chance on us and allowed us to have pets and I fully intend to pay for what we've damaged.

I am a landlord and an animal lover so I would definitely try to work with you. If the carpet could be patched and not be noticeable, I would allow that option but if not, I would ask the the carpet in the affected areas be replaced. I would not be concerned with carpet matching throughout the house as that would be overkill in my opinion.

Good luck to you and your fur baby.