Menu

What kind of fish oil do your kids like (or tolerate)?

I want to start giving the kids fish oil, but I'm afraid to spend a fortune trying different kinds to find a taste they like. What kinds/flavors will your kids take? I was looking at Nordic Naturals because I know many consider them the best, but I'm open to other ideas.

TIA!

Nordic Naturals Children's DHA strawberry flavored gel balls. My kids swallow them whole though so they don't taste a thing!

ETA: Make sure whichever brand you choose, you make sure they do 3rd party testing for mercury contamination AND make sure it doesn't come from a fish farm.. Your fish oil should come from a wild fish source.

Edited by Misty

I take OmegaBrites...every other brand left me with a lemony and mildly-fishy after taste and :tongue_smilie:burps.

Disclaimer....I'm sensitive and while the lemony taste wasn't disgusting, the Omega Brites leave no taste or burps behind even if I eat something spicy. I can even take them with plain water. With the others, I needed milk to take them.

My boys take the Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9

Just an FYI, we don't need to supplement with Omega 6 or 9. We get plenty of these in our regular diets (too much, in fact) and if we get WAY too much then it throws off the balance and can cause all sorts of trouble..

I just did a quick search and this was the first link I clicked on.. http://www.omega-3-fish-oil-wonders.com/omega-3-6-9.html

It really depends on the kid and what you can afford. Mine prefers Nordic Naturals, but they're out of our price range. He takes liquid fish oil everyday. He doesn't like the taste, but takes it because he knows it's good for him. He chases it with juice or water, so it isn't "too" bad.

I get fish burps, so I keep my gel tabs in the freezer. Helps a ton.

And, I agree with the PP re: omega 6s and 9s. We don't need to supplement them. Look for quality omega 3s.

ETA: Look at doseage and amount of omegas when you buy. One can seem like a deal, but you have to take a lot to get the daily recommendations. For Carlsons or similar, my 7 y/o takes 1 tsp, my 18 y/o takes 1 tbl.

Edited by raceNzanesmom