Menu

Need a fun movie for a 9 yo birthday party

I'm having a sleepover birthday party for my son who is turning 9. At the start of the party, I'm going to let them run around the house and yard and play. Then we'll eat pizza, cake and open any presents. (I know, I know--there was a whole thread about the pros and cons of opening presents in front of a group. We're people who DO open presents in front of a group, come what may.)

After that, I want to show them a movie, to settle them down before going to bed. In order for them to actually settle down (and not start running around again), the movie will need to be funny and action packed, or they'll ignore it and hype themselves back up. I would prefer they they haven't seen it before. If they've seen it, they'll talk over top of it. But if it's new, they'll most likely pay attention.

Here's where you come in: Can you help me think of a funny/action packed movie that's over 10 years old that I could show to 8 little boys who are 9 years old? If it's an older movie, it's likely they haven't seen it. (They've all seen the more recent movies, like Megamind, etc.)

Hook?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102057/

The very beggining may be a little boring for them, but once it gets going i'm sure they will love it. :D

If you haven't seen it, the trailer is there too.

Jumanji is another idea

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113497/

Jurassic Park (I'd make sure the parents didn't think it was too scary first.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/

Edited by Caterpiller

Jumangi? Not sure if it's 10 years old or not, but I think it is.

The Goonies?

One note about The Goonies: If you haven't seen the uncut version recently, you might want to revisit it before showing it to young children not your own. When my kids were little, they'd seen it on TV. But then we bought a nice, new DVD as a treat.

We'd forgotten exactly how many "colorful metaphors" were in that movie.

Not a problem for our kids, but it's something that you should be aware of before you show it to other people's children.

Labyrinth

Monster Squad

Dark Crystal

Willow

The Princess Bride

Neverending Story

Karate Kid

Pee Wee's Big Adventure (it's actually very tame and my son laughed the whole way through)

Cats and Dogs

3 Ninjas

Treasure Planet

Well I was going to suggest Hoodwinked too until I read further and saw you wanted ones over 10 yrs old. (the kids watched hoodwinked too tonight so that is why it popped in my mind). NO ideas to add beyond what is already listed, the kids loved all the ones listed. DS12 was really into watching flight of the navigator when we borrowed it from the library last week. He watched it 4 times before we returned it.

I second being careful with the Goonies, we love it here but there is swearing in it and a few other things that may be deemed inappropriate.