Menu

Do you children use binders? I would like 1 per kids with several subjects...

Prairie~Phlox

My kids do. I do daily work binders in the same way other people do workboxes, I suppose. Each child has one binder, and I change out their assignments every day, putting a daily list at the front of each binder (with a box to check off as each task is finished). There is a subject tab for every individual subject they do. However, if there is nothing to do that day for that subject, I just leave it empty and do not include a task from that subject on the list.

ETA: They have a subject tab for every subject, even if they will do their work in workbooks rather than work directly from the binder. (I don't like to take my workbooks apart.) In this case, I include a more detailed assignment list for the day behind that subject tab (notes about what pages they should do from their various math and LA books, plus details of the nature study project we're working on, etc., etc., etc.).

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I have a third grader, kinder and 4 year old. I need to spend more time with the young ones sonI have attempted to organize my 8 yr old as much as possible. I say attempt because we haven't started school yet, tomorrow. I have a main binder which has 36 weekly tabs, snagged those from a sunlight binder. I put our weekly schedule I created first, then 3 hole punched math drill, math worksheet, our spelling practice page(we do spelling plus), also put reading comp questions from our lit guide. I did put on the front a yearly calendar where we circle each day we school, for attendance purpose. We have two other small binders. One for history, we will do a combo of narration pages and lapbook pages for SOTW 3. One binder for our science. We will be using the wtm science for third. We'll keep our lab sheet and all science vocabulary in it. This is my first year to be organized like this, we'll

see how it goes. We travel between two states every month and I hope this helps to keep things in order.

I use a separate binder for each of my dd7 subjects. They fill up so quickly! English has a Writing (trying some IEW techniques) and a Spelling tab. Even though we use a Rod & Staff workbook for spelling we still needed a place to file spelling pretests/dictation/tests. History has a Narration section and a Map section (where we also file other worksheets). Science is divided into Geology/Space/Human Body/Water--all the subjects we will be covering this year with the worksheets and experiment plans already printed/copied and organized in the order we will tackle them, along with blank paper for vocab. Art has sleeves for putting projects in. Etc, etc. If you don't do a lot of worksheets or writing, you may not need multiple binders. I know we do. They will be full by the end of the year, for sure. I think you just need to make your binders work for you!

I've put together a weekly working binder for each child this year. At the front is 5 pages Mon-Fri of daily plans. The plans spell out exactly what each child is to accomplish on their own and a list of subjects they will be doing with me that day, as well as a reminder of any long term project and to complete their chore cards. Next there are five colored dividers labeled Math, Grammar, Spanish, Maps(for History), and Homework. They'll be able to use their main binder for most of their work.

They each have two other binders to work from devoted to a whole subject-Geography and Literature. The rest of the papers I will need to keep filling the weekly binder are in binders. I thought it would be easier on us all to not have them pulling 10 different binders of the shelves each day and flipping through to find their space.

The Geography binders hold work for the entire year. To make it easier for them to find their place I've put a blank colored piece of paper inside a sheet protector for the to use as a 'bookmark'.

The Literature binders have several sections and as I ran out of dividers I put labeled colored paper into sheet protectors to serve as dividers. I also had color sticky tape tags I put on them just because they stick out better that way I think. :)

Edited by ThreeBlessings

Ds7 will be 8 in a few days and in third year. He has a yellow binder (his favorite color) with wide ruled color coded sheets. We also have notebooking pages to add in, graph paper for graphs and math problems. This would make it much easier for me to show as a portfolio at the end of the year.

Subjects in his binder (starting tomorrow!):

Writing (WWE)

English (PLL)

Spelling (Elementary Speller)

Science (explanations, answers to questions Singapore MPH 3/4)

I have one additional color in case I need it for another subject.

I bought index cards for use as a vocubulary aid and a small blue notebook so ge can write any misspelled words.

Each girl has one binder for all their assignments with tabs for each one. There are also any papers or schedules that are important. They also each have a journal and 2 other binders, one for LA and one for History. I put all the completed book work in the big binder where their schedules are the other binders are more for extra things or projects.

My kids each have a 1 or 1.5 inch binder with multiple dividers for Bible, memory work, writing, grammar, history/geography, literature, and Latin. They have a separate science notebook and math is done directly in the workbook. The binders are filling up quicklym but my plan is to go through them every quarter and pull out the pages to keep in their portfolio (which is a separate binder) and which pages to toss. I like them having everything in one place.

We use my DS' binder a big differently I think. The schools often have kids use binders that go back and forth to hold letters for the parents, etc.

I copied the idea a bit, and my DS has a HERO (have everything ready and organized) binder. The front has our calendar pages, number of days in school, weather chart, and a few other items.

The next tab is is "mini office." Instead of making one using file folders, I just print off the pages I think would be a good reference for him and slip them in his binder. It's a mishmash of different things, but he loves looking through it.

The next tab are his TOG maps, past and present. And the last tab are his art assignments from Artistic Pursuits. On the back of the binder I photocopied the Italics Alphabet, so that we flip the binder over during the school day to help him remember how to make form his letters.

This is the first year we have a big binder for everything. It was not planned and sorta happened by accident. I was putting different stuff aside in a binder as I was getting printouts ready for school. Then when school started - my dd just decided to leave it all in the binder. It is working well. I honestly don't know exactly how she set up her tabs, but the main idea is - history, science, language arts. I think she has a bit of language arts divided out more. I think she is loving having everything in one place. I love that I just put the printouts where they need to be and they are easy to find.

I keep everything organized in file folders. At the beginning of the week I print out a weekly assignment list from HST+ and put that in the front of their 1" binders. Also in the front are their reading logs and memorization logs. Then we have a tab for everyday of the week. I put all that days pages at behind the appropriate tab. Then we have a tab for art/ timeline pages and finally a reference tab. At the end of the week I pull everything out and refile it.

post-8826-13535085393898_thumb.jpg

My kids each have a weekly binder and a yearly binder. The weekly binder is tabbed by subjects now, but when they were younger, it was tabbed by weekday. In the front of the weekly binder goes the HST+ assignment sheet. They check this off as they go along. In each tab goes any printouts that we might have. They do have a separate history binder that has all their History Odyssey stuff in it. Most of their work this year has it's own book, so the binder is mostly for extra paper and assignments. The yearly binder is where I store the stuff I want to keep for their portfolio.