Menu

I've gathered a few nature study books over the summer, and I'd like to share

helena

This one I got for free!! Someone here recommended it to me years ago:

Gardening Wizardry for Kids

http://www.amazon.com/Gardening-Wizardry-Kids-Patricia-Kite/dp/0812083628/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314224874&sr=1-1

Pet Bugs

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Bugs-Catching-Keeping-Touchable/dp/047131188X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314224936&sr=1-1

Sow and Grow

http://www.amazon.com/Sow-Grow-Gardening-Book-Children/dp/1584796731/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314225029&sr=1-1

This book is SO cute!! It's broken down by the months, which I love because it kind of takes the pressure off to get it done quickly. I noticed the author has a few other books that look nice.

I'd love to hear about anything new and exciting you've found for nature study (books or otherwise). :bigear:

Gardening Wizardry for Kids

This book is great! I love the information it gives about the history of each plant. Very informative! I actually pull out correlations to go with history studies.

The two books in my signature are what we're primarily using for nature study this year. The first is a guide to creating your own field guide. The second is a month-by-month guide to what to look out for in nature. This book would be even better for someone with four true seasons.

This book is great! I love the information it gives about the history of each plant. Very informative! I actually pull out correlations to go with history studies.

The two books in my signature are what we're primarily using for nature study this year. The first is a guide to creating your own field guide. The second is a month-by-month guide to what to look out for in nature. This book would be even better for someone with four true seasons.

Oooo thanks! I'm going to have a cup of tea and check out your links. We're in So. Cal. so our 4 seasons are subtle compared to a lot of other areas. :001_smile:

Here's another one I found over the summer: The Seaside Naturalist http://www.amazon.com/Seaside-Naturalist-Guide-Study-Seashore/dp/0671765035

THose titles look great! I had not seen them before. I have roots, shoots, buckets and boots here and bought the seaside naturalist last year when we planned to move to the ocean(going to use it while planning our vacation next year). On my wish list is I love dirt and hollyhocks and honey bees. Of course the there is the stand bys I have Handbook of Nature study, and pocketful of pinecones.

I think I am going to buy this one next, it just looks so beautiful

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I bought the bug book for a penny. I remember using that book with my youngest son :-)

I'm working my way through Rod and Staff volume 1 God's Marvelous Works. It's nature study in textbook form. Short lessons. Read and regurgitate. It's the right thing for right now. I'm tired and just not getting anything done that isn't super structured, short and easy.

The bug book is a perfect supplement for the 1st unit.

I have volume 2 in the mail. The student manual is in Florida and the teacher manual shipped, but with no information. I do hope these don't get lost in the storm :-(

Here's one I'd like to buy: Enid Blyton's Nature Lover's Book http://www.amazon.com/Blytons-Nature-Lovers-Centenary-Fiction/dp/0237535688/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314475794&sr=1-1

Has anyone used this?

That's the one I posted above that is probably the next one I am going to buy. It just looks to beautiful to not buy :D

• 3 weeks later...

I checked out Blyton's book from the library. It is indeed quite cute. It is composed of 2 stories per month with three children going for nature walks with their neighbor (an adult man, not another kid, who knows about nature). There are also some activities, poems, and a section of birds and trees to know. Most illustrations are in b&w, some color, all drawings (not photos). It is England-specific, as this is where the kids are walking.

THose titles look great! I had not seen them before. I have roots, shoots, buckets and boots here and bought the seaside naturalist last year when we planned to move to the ocean(going to use it while planning our vacation next year). On my wish list is I love dirt and hollyhocks and honey bees. Of course the there is the stand bys I have Handbook of Nature study, and pocketful of pinecones.

I think I am going to buy this one next, it just looks so beautiful

I remembered your recommendation on Roots, Shoots... when I saw it in the library book shop! $2!!!

It looks great, I can't wait to use it!