Menu

My husband offered to teach math today. Good idea/Bad idea?

I have mixed emotions. I think he just wants in on the "fun". I've never complained about math or homeschooling, so that's my best guess! We're using MUS this year which requires mastery of the concept before moving on and my main concern is that the kids really understand what they're learning and are able to apply it. If dh does math, how can I make sure they're on track and learning? I guess I'm a bit controlling here because I'm nervous about it??!! I think the kids would really enjoy having dad involved though. Gulp.

Your husband cares enough and has the time to teach them some math. I will bet that he will do a good job. I would bet that he values education as much as you do. He may not do it the same way, but I bet it will work.

I told my dh when dd was born, that I wouldn't tell him how to do things when taking care of her. His mom and my mom are bad about thinking men are incompetent when it comes to taking care of kids as well as other things. He has done very well even when he doesn't do it the way I would.

Your husband cares enough and has the time to teach them some math. I will bet that he will do a good job. I would bet that he values education as much as you do. He may not do it the same way, but I bet it will work.

I told my dh when dd was born, that I wouldn't tell him how to do things when taking care of her. His mom and my mom are bad about thinking men are incompetent when it comes to taking care of kids as well as other things. He has done very well even when he doesn't do it the way I would.

:iagree:

Mama Geek and I have agreed. (looks outside for hail and snow :D)

Edited by justamouse

Of course he can do it, and you should let him.

Isn't this sort of the type of thinking that makes people ask if you are able to teach your own kids? If you are able to teach it with this program, he can teach with the program. And you know what, even if he didn't do it exactly the way you want, they will learn something...don't be a slave to a program. ;)

Look at it this way, you will have some time to eat chocolate, and have a pedicure. :D

Besides, if you shut him down, he might not offer to help anymore.... just :chillpill:. He'll likely get bored soon anyway.

Okay, this helps me get in the right frame of mind and to let go some. I truly do not think my dh is incompetent, and I don't want to send him that message. I'm seeing that I need to handle this wisely. When he brought it up this morning on his way out the door, he sounded excited. I, on the other hand, felt my stress level go up and asked if we could talk about it when he got home. :tongue_smilie: It's just a change in plans and I'm working on wrapping my brain around it all. He will have time come fall. It's just that I need to depend on him to do this regularly. Agreeing on a schedule might help ME some! He is self employed and I am a little nervous about it getting done everday and keeping to a schedule. Maybe I can fill in for him if something comes up?

:iagree:

Mam Geek and I have agreed. (looks outside for hail and snow :D)

:D

Perhaps he wouldn't mind if you administered the tests? That way you can write it any way you like, to test anything you like.

Rosie

Oh, I see. He gets to be the fun math guy and I get to be the test grinch. :lol: There are weekly tests with MUS, so that could work. Thanks!

Good idea. My DH and I actually SHARE homeschooling duties. He does some things, I do others. They are his children as well, so I am convinced he takes their education as serious as I do. We talk about goals and materials, but it would not occur to me to micromanage how he, for instance, teaches DD math, or science labs.

Your DH should be able to assess whether they are on track and learn what they are supposed to just as well as you can.

Like you I'd be a nervous wreck! But I think it's GREAT that he wants to help and be involved.

I think letting him help and enjoy the process that much more with you all is such a blessing! Def. stand back and be a shadow that is unseen. If dh saw me hovering him or what not he'd feel insecure on his capabilities. And my dh is a smart cookie! It's just a me, mama thing I guess.

Let us know how it all goes. :)

Of course he can do it, and you should let him.

Isn't this sort of the type of thinking that makes people ask if you are able to teach your own kids? If you are able to teach it with this program, he can teach with the program. And you know what, even if he didn't do it exactly the way you want, they will learn something...don't be a slave to a program. ;)

Look at it this way, you will have some time to eat chocolate, and have a pedicure. :D

Besides, if you shut him down, he might not offer to help anymore.... just :chillpill:. He'll likely get bored soon anyway.

I could use that time to exercise. That would be so cool! You are right about shutting him down. Wise words. I am prepared to take math back over if it isn't working out for dh. Thanks for this ----> :chillpill: I'm still working on it!

Let him. One less thing on your plate. He can feel involved.

Simple and profound words. He is a great dad and I think it would be a special thing for ds8 and ds6. He has helped out before when needed some help presenting a concept another way to help our sons get it and he was wonderful.

While MUS is a mastery curriculum, it is also essentially a do the next thing curriculum. Let him teach it. When he stops you'll know where the kids are.

There those words are again. :001_smile: You're right. We ARE using a curriculum. He's not doing his own thing that I couldn't figure out what the heck they learned or where they are at if need be. Thanks.

Good idea. My DH and I actually SHARE homeschooling duties. He does some things, I do others. They are his children as well, so I am convinced he takes their education as serious as I do. We talk about goals and materials, but it would not occur to me to micromanage how he, for instance, teaches DD math, or science labs.

Your DH should be able to assess whether they are on track and learn what they are supposed to just as well as you can.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are absolutely right. Thanks for helping boost my confidence in dh and it really helps that you've been there. How cool! I totally agree on not being involed in the actual teaching. Would agreeing on a schedule be micro managing in your opinion?

Would agreeing on a schedule be micro managing in your opinion?

Schedule as in: WHEN he teaches, so that you can structure your time accordingly? Not micromanaging - absolutely fine and necessary. You're a team and need to coordinate.

Schedule as in: what exactly he has to cover in a session and how to progress: micromanaging. Not necessary -he'll figure it out.

Like you I'd be a nervous wreck! But I think it's GREAT that he wants to help and be involved.

I think letting him help and enjoy the process that much more with you all is such a blessing! Def. stand back and be a shadow that is unseen. If dh saw me hovering him or what not he'd feel insecure on his capabilities. And my dh is a smart cookie! It's just a me, mama thing I guess.

Let us know how it all goes. :)

Good advice, thank you!

Could you explain why? Somehow I do not quite get why it would be such a big deal to be actually nervous about it. :confused:

OP here. I've been doing this homeschool thing mostly myself so far, though dh has been involved here and there a little bit when I've asked. It's reallllly weird to consider doing a tag team thing now. I know I'm happy to do math, but if dh would like to then, well, why not is what it's coming down to. And, they are his children too! These should seem so obvious, but in the area of homeschooling, I'm just now coming this realization. :lol:

Oh, I see. He gets to be the fun math guy and I get to be the test grinch. :lol: There are weekly tests with MUS, so that could work. Thanks!

No, I was thinking he gets to do the agonisingly long maths lessons, and you got to do the short, quick, just-a-few-well-written-question tests.

:tongue_smilie:

I'm sure you and your husband will talk about how the kids are doing, so you'll know what he knows. :)

Rosie

I think it will help bring all of you closer together. I agree that you should do it. Unless he was really awful in a certain subject, I would have my husband teach whatever he liked. We split it up pretty evenly now.

I do science, math, history, PE stuff, language arts/literature

My husband does piano, Spanish, Latin, Art, handwriting, computer programming.

We both do spelling and help each other as needed.

I think it will help bring all of you closer together. I agree that you should do it. Unless he was really awful in a certain subject, I would have my husband teach whatever he liked. We split it up pretty evenly now.

I do science, math, history, PE stuff, language arts/literature

My husband does piano, Spanish, Latin, Art, handwriting, computer programming.

We both do spelling and help each other as needed.

Awww, thanks for that. The nervousness is subsiding and I'm getting stoked now! I can't wait to talk with dh about when he get home. I'm wondering if he changed his mind by now. :tongue_smilie::lol: Almost seems to good to be true. I am wondering though, how does your dh have time to do all that? Does he works FT?

I have mixed emotions. I think he just wants in on the "fun". I've never complained about math or homeschooling, so that's my best guess! We're using MUS this year which requires mastery of the concept before moving on and my main concern is that the kids really understand what they're learning and are able to apply it. If dh does math, how can I make sure they're on track and learning? I guess I'm a bit controlling here because I'm nervous about it??!! I think the kids would really enjoy having dad involved though. Gulp.

Okay, I'm going to be the voice of dissent here-- sort of. I think you have to decide if Dh truly has the time that the lessons require and the time to follow up on mistakes and practice that is necessary in mastering concepts. Oh--and also the patience required which is usually tied to the time he has available. Less time means more of a rush to get it done which doesn't work well when teaching math especially.

My Dh took over Ds math in 2nd grade (I think). He thought he had the time to teach it. I thought he had the time to teach it. We were wrong and that year set my Ds back for quite a while. Dh was rushed b/c of his work requirements and not able to devote the time to planning and assessment and especially to the drill required to solidify math facts. By the time I realized what a disaster it was, half of the year was gone and Ds was way behind. Math U See may be a do the next thing type of curriculum (most math is), but with math in the younger years (I'm not sure of your Dc ages) you really need to have your eye on how well Dc have mastered facts and whether or not more repetition is required. It takes a lot of forethought and monitoring. How well they do with math facts will be the deciding factor for how they handle higher math later on.

My Ds (starting Algebra this year) still talks about the year daddy taught math and rolls his eyes. It was not a happy experience. Now I teach math and Dh helps out in the evenings if Ds needs extra help with a concept or a specific problem in his lesson. Dh has the time to focus on very specific content, but not the entire math curriculum for the year.

Now, all of this is not to say that your Dh shouldn't teach math. It could work out really well for your family. Just honestly assess whether Dh has the time required and exactly how much he can comfortably take on. He may have all the time needed whereas my Dh did not. Your Dh work may not intrude on his time at home like my Dh's did. Your Dc may not need as much time as my Ds did.

If you and Dh decide he will take over I like Rosie's idea of you doing the assessing and you and Dh discussing progress.

Shannon

My husband taught my daughter math over the summer of her 5/6th school year (he's a school teacher & had just had neck surgery so he was kinda stuck doing nothing). It was such a blessing. My daughter and I were at each others throats over it. LOL. He volunteered and I ran before he could change his mind. It did them both good. He tackled it differently than I would have. He picked apart what she actually needed to know rather than going lesson by lesson and amazingly enough she flew through the book over that summer and learned a ton.

I wish he was still teaching math. ;)

I don't think his teaching math means you should be in the dark about progress though either. You should both know what is going on and how your child is doing.

I talked with dh about it and asked him on a scale of 1-10 how serious about teaching was he. His answer assured me that he really is serious and up for the task. He really wants to be involved more in their education and hope this sparks more out of class teaching and educational conversation as well with the boys. He's already started teaching the olders math stuff just in coversation the last day or two and the boys are learning and enjoying it. Right not they are our rock climbing and probably talking about math, lol. Thanks again for the experience and advice offered. Much appreciated!