Menu

I'm in a cooking mood....

Give me your best recipes. Doesn't matter if it's dessert or dinner...breakfast is ok too!:D

I've been in a little rut lately and I want to mix it up around here. :D I'll be shopping tomorrow so...hit me with your best recipes. :D:D

PS...Dawn--I can't wait to try your rice recipe! YUM

Somebody posted these once, and they are scrumptious!

I've been doing this recently, too: Cook up a big batch of brown rice. Sauté onions, green peppers and chopped tomatoes in a little olive oil. Stir in the rice, add cumin, saffron (optional), and chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add as many kidney beans or black beans as you want, and if you so desire add corn. I make it both ways. I don't usually follow recipes, I just throw stuff together in the pot until it tastes good.

I've been making homemade cole slaw, too. I can eat that until the cows come home. I grate half a head of cabbage, grate a carrot, add apple cider vinegar, agave nectar, and some canola or other oil until it tastes good! You could add onions, peppers, whatever to this, too.

I breaded yellow squash slices in egg and cornmeal, then fried them in a little olive oil. Ate them with salsa. Yummy!

Dump cake:

1-2 cans of pie filling

1 can crushed pineapple

1 yellow cake mix

1-2 sticks of butter/margarine

dump in order into 13x9 pan, cut butter into small slices on top

bake 50-60 min at 350*

Shrimp Dip (okay, technically not cooking but...)

1 pkg cream cheese, softened

bottle of cocktail sauce (I usually just make my own with ketchup and horseradish)

1 can or pkg of salad shrimp

Combine all 3 and refrigerate for several hours (although dh will eat it immediately if I let him). Eat with favorite crackers

Somebody posted these once, and they are scrumptious!

I've been doing this recently, too: Cook up a big batch of brown rice. Sauté onions, green peppers and chopped tomatoes in a little olive oil. Stir in the rice, add cumin, saffron (optional), and chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add as many kidney beans or black beans as you want, and if you so desire add corn. I make it both ways. I don't usually follow recipes, I just throw stuff together in the pot until it tastes good.

I've been making homemade cole slaw, too. I can eat that until the cows come home. I grate half a head of cabbage, grate a carrot, add apple cider vinegar, agave nectar, and some canola or other oil until it tastes good! You could add onions, peppers, whatever to this, too.

I breaded yellow squash slices in egg and cornmeal, then fried them in a little olive oil. Ate them with salsa. Yummy!

Do you think any kind of stone fruit could be used in place of the mango for the burgers? My kids ate allergic to mango but love almost all fruits. I am just not sure what to pair with black beans and avacado.

My friend calls these devil muffins--they are hard to stop eating!

Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins

3 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 lb unsalted, melted butter (1/2 lb = 2 sticks)

2 eggs

3/4 cup whole milk

2 tsp vanilla

3 mashed, ripe bananas

Chocolate chunks (about 1/2 a regular-sized bag, or to taste)

Oatmeal (about 1/2 to a whole cup, measure to taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add melted butter, then mix. In a separate bowl mix eggs, milk, vanilla and bananas, then add to the flour mixture. Add chocolate chunks, and oatmeal. Blend well. Do not overmix. Pour batter into lined muffin pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes approximately 22 muffins.

Do you think any kind of stone fruit could be used in place of the mango for the burgers? My kids ate allergic to mango but love almost all fruits. I am just not sure what to pair with black beans and avacado.

I'm sure peaches, nectarines or apricots would work just fine. Just something to give it that sweet, fruity taste.

I made this several months ago, it was delicious! My daughter is pregnant and has an aversion to beef at the moment...maybe I can make it again in a month or so.

I always make it in the winter when I haven't seen my yard in awhile. We have very wet winters (which is why they grow winter wheat here) and it makes me very very sulky.

The sulkier I get the more I make it. Last winter I made it three times in two weeks. :lol: I usually serve it with mashed potatoes. It is the ultimate comfort food.

Fajitas - The Best Ever!

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or 1 lb beef

2 limes

2 tbsp sugar

2 tsp dried oregano

½ tsp cayenne

½ tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp cumin

2 onions

3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow, one each)

3 tbsp oil

Guacamole and sour cream to serve

Flour tortillas to serve

Salsa to serve

Slice the meat into ¾ inch wide strips and place in a large bowl. Add the zest from one lime and the juice from both limes, sugar, oregano, cayenne, cinnamon, and cumin. Mix thoroughly. Set aside to marinate at least 30 minutes.

Slice the onion thinly, and the peppers into ½ inch wide strips.

Heat the oil in a large fry pan. Stir fry the marinated meat to 5-6 minutes, and then add the peppers and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, until the meat is cooked through, and the vegetables are soft and tender.

Put the mixture in a tortilla, add salsa, sour cream, and guacamole, wrap it up and enjoy.

Notes: Tip#1 Make up the dry ingredients(from sugar through cumin) by the bunch and store in a container in your spice cupboard.

Tip #2 Just use bottled lime juice, it's faster.

Tip #3 Trader Joe's sells bags of frozen bell pepper/onion strips.

Tip #4 You might make the first batch with only 1/4 tsp cayenne;-)

Oven Omelet Roll

4 oz cream cheese, softened

¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

12 eggs

¾ cup whole milk

2 Tblsp flour

8 oz cheese, shredded + more for top

filling ingredients to your taste

Preheat oven to 375º. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add milk to cream cheese, beating until smooth. Beat in flour and parmesan cheese. Beat eggs and mix well.

Line a large jelly roll pan with parchment paper and grease or spray paper with olive oil spray. Pour egg mixture carefully onto parchment paper pressing and pinching to try and get mixture into corners. Bake for 30-33 minutes until puffy and golden brown.

Prepare filling items and immediately after removing from oven top evenly with filling ingredients. Using the parchment paper to help you, carefully roll up lengthwise. It will be hot and the first roll is the toughest since you need to tuck the edge in as tight as possible. Use an oven mitt if necessary. Slice in 6(roughly 2 egg serving) or 12(1 egg serving) slices.

If setting out for brunch or potluck. Top with cheese and a sprinkle of green onion, chopped tomatoes or peppers for garnish.

Stuffed French Toast Casserole

Or Blueberry Breakfast Strata

12 slices Texas Toast

12 eggs

1 ½ cups milk

1 Tblsp vanilla

½ cup maple syrup

2 - 8 oz pkgs cream cheese

½ cup(1 stick) butter, soft

1 ½ tsp vanilla

1 cup powdered sugar (maybe a little more?)

2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen.

Directions:

Beat eggs and add milk, vanilla, and maple syrup. Set aside. Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until fluffy. Arrange 6 texas toast slices in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Spread with cream cheese mixture and scatter blueberries across(we cover it, 2 cups is a guesstimate;-) Top with remaining 6 slices of texas toast.

Slowly pour egg mixture over bread slices making sure to wet completely. Lift bottom slices slightly to make sure mixture goes underneath. Allow to sit for a few minutes or covered in the refrigerator overnight to allow the bread to soak in the mixture. Pan will be very full.

Baking and Cooling:

Heat oven to 350º. Bake covered in aluminum foil(better spray it with non-stick spray) for about an hour. Uncover and bake until light brown.

Notes:

Play with amounts of cream cheese fluff in the middle as well as amount of powdered sugar in the fluff or the amount of maple syrup to your families liking. We like it on the sweet side<grin> Freezes well in the raw state.

Can also be made by cubing the bread and layering with cubed cream cheese and blueberries in the middle-omitting the butter and powdered sugar. Same egg mixture. Saves on sweetness and calories but it’s more work and not nearly as tasty;-)

Caramel Apple Dip

½ cup butter

½ cup light corn syrup

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix all and bring to a boil. When cooled mixture will be very thick. This recipe makes a lot of caramel dip, but it keeps very well in the refer. Small portions can be heated up as the sweet tooth hits. Can add a teaspoon of vanilla after boiling.

Can be put into a slow cooker to keep warm for a party.

White Chocolate - Cranberry Granola Bars

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup honey

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 large egg

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies)

1 cup white chocolate(vanilla) chips

1 1/2 cups rolled oats

1/2- 3/4 cup craisins (sweetened, dried cranberries)

1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease or spray 9 x 13 pan.

In large bowl, beat brown sugar, sugar, and butter until light and fluffy. Blend in honey, vanilla and egg. In separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture gradually to sugar mixture and beat until combined. By hand, stir in nuts, white chocolate chips, Rice Krispies and oats until well mixed. Press mixture firmly in bottom of greased pan, and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Do NOT overbake, they may still look "wiggly". Cool and cut into squares or whatever other shapes you might desire;-)

For Glaze: Melt the rest of the chips in the micro with a tblsp of butter. Tint if desired(red, green or both would be nice for Christmas goodie platters). Spoon into a sandwich bag. Cut a very tiny tip of the corner off and squeeze in swirls over the bars. Before or after cutting depending on how much work you want to put into them and how pretty you want them to turn out.