Menu

I do believe I am a camping failure

sad, but true.

I posted before I left about camping with no running water. Why I chose to have that as my first camping experience with the boy scouts I am not sure :glare:

Day 1 was fine. It rained overnight, but it went well.

Day 2 started fine. I went into town with some of the ladies, DH and the boys stayed behind and hiked and went in the creek with the boys.

Around 5pm it started raining. It poured. It stormed. It never let up. We measured about 8 inches of rain in 3.5 hours.

We had no way to roast our dinner or dessert, so we used someone else's camping stove and boiled out hot dogs.....ick.....and then we ate them in the car.

By 8:30pm DH checked our tent.....sure enough, in several places there were huge puddles of water on the floor of the tent, and it was still POURING rain.

We bailed. We packed it up and headed home.

So, if I choose to camp again (which I am sure I will need to) I plan to buy a camping stove, an awning, a table, and only go if there is running water for toilets and showers.

Dawn

I do not consider you a failure by any stretch if it literally rained 8 inches in 3 1/2 hours? Surprised you didn't wash away!

I'm ok with no toilets/showers for a few days. We love our camping stove though! We have a huge test (8 person for 4 of us) and that helps too if we need to be in. We do not have a table or an awning though. We have nice camp chairs though and most campgrounds we go to have picnic tables at every site anyway.

sad, but true.

I posted before I left about camping with no running water. Why I chose to have that as my first camping experience with the boy scouts I am not sure :glare:

Day 1 was fine. It rained overnight, but it went well.

Day 2 started fine. I went into town with some of the ladies, DH and the boys stayed behind and hiked and went in the creek with the boys.

Around 5pm it started raining. It poured. It stormed. It never let up. We measured about 8 inches of rain in 3.5 hours.

We had no way to roast our dinner or dessert, so we used someone else's camping stove and boiled out hot dogs.....ick.....and then we ate them in the car.

By 8:30pm DH checked our tent.....sure enough, in several places there were huge puddles of water on the floor of the tent, and it was still POURING rain.

We bailed. We packed it up and headed home.

So, if I choose to camp again (which I am sure I will need to) I plan to buy a camping stove, an awning, a table, and only go if there is running water for toilets and showers.

Dawn

I think you did great!

We bailed after one night of rain. And we had an awning, flush toilets, running water, and no puddles in the tent. :D

This reminds me of a camping trip my family took (to Colorado). My father (the I know everything about the outdoors type) decided to put a tent up at the base of a "cliff". Mom warned him it looked like rain, but he insisted it would be fine. About an hour later, it started raining and it wasn't too long before the floats we had under our sleeping bags started to actually float. Mom told Dad we were going to do camping her way: A hotel without room service.

Sheesh! We recently got 1" of rain in an hour, and that was enough to make the corner of the roof on my HOUSE leak! AND it flooded the basement of my childhood home!

I grew up camping, but my family had standards. ;)

Awning, screen house, Coleman stove, running water, access to real toilets. In bad rain, we'd fold the station wagon seats down and sleep in the car.

You're not a failure. You're just crazy for taking all that on to begin with! :lol:

I do realize I was crazy. :D

On the way home (3.5 hour drive and we didn't get home until midnight) I told DH that I knew I had made the right decision. It was raining and thundering and lightening the entire ride home.

Dawn

Sheesh! We recently got 1" of rain in an hour, and that was enough to make the corner of the roof on my HOUSE leak! AND it flooded the basement of my childhood home!

I grew up camping, but my family had standards. ;)

Awning, screen house, Coleman stove, running water, access to real toilets. In bad rain, we'd fold the station wagon seats down and sleep in the car.

You're not a failure. You're just crazy for taking all that on to begin with! :lol:

This is our 5th year of scouting and I FINALLY went overnight camping.....I have put it off for 5 years.....but I should have started with somewhere with running water.

Dawn

:001_huh: You're ahead of me; I wouldn't have even tried! I should put this on my list of "things you won't do for homeschooling." I won't camp.