Menu

AAS Jail

FairProspects

You know, I do think it would be easier with wider bars (or more space between them at least!), that's worth considering. Wider bars might hide more letters though, but there might be a way to make it more workable. DD likes to see the letters peering out, LOL! I used an exacto-knife when I cut ours out. I actually colored ours & then put magnets on the back so it could be up on our magnet board. You can see it on my blog--4th picture down on this post. I thought at one time that maybe I'd want to laminate it, but never got around to that. When we use it, we make the word out of the letter tiles, then plop the jail right over the top of the words.

Merry :-)

what? it never occured to me to cut out the jail. people do this? we just throw the card on top of the jail sheet and call it a day. ha!

Never occurred to me, either!! :D

Mine actually like to write the word on the dry erase board and then draw an elaborate jail around it - they can make drawing the jail & various things related to it take an impressively (dare I say... annoyingly?) long time - they absolutely LOVE rule breakers... :tongue_smilie:

We love to throw those naughty words in jail!

It was too hard to cut out the bars, so I cut out the entire window and put our own bars in. I then taped them in the back with packing tape. I've attached photos.

Coincidentally, I'm offering a $50 AAS giveaway on my blog this weekend. Just thought I'd mention it here.

post-8662-13535085328025_thumb.jpg

post-8662-1353508532834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Satori

Ah, a jail... that looks like fun! My dd and I are working on our last few lessons of Level 1. Looks like the jail comes with Level 2?? Is that correct?

My daughter and I have a sheet of paper taped on one of our walls where we write rule-breakers as they become known to us. (hi, gave, etc)

A jail sounds like like a lot more fun than a boring old sheet! I can't wait to start Level 2.

I cut them out VERY carefully with an x-acto knife. I had one bar rip at one end, and then I figured out the best way to cut them to avoid rips (no, I don't remember what that way was :tongue_smilie:). I put the jail in a laminating pouch, making sure that ripped bar was in its proper place, closed up the pouch, and ran it through the laminator. I now have a laminated jail with openings in the bars for the letters to be seen. :D

I'm usually too lazy to pull the jail out though, so we end up just drawing a jail over a word. DS LOVES the jail!

My daughter and I have a sheet of paper taped on one of our walls where we write rule-breakers as they become known to us. (hi, gave, etc).

:confused: Are hi and gave irregular? They don't seem like rule-breakers to me.

what? it never occured to me to cut out the jail. people do this? we just throw the card on top of the jail sheet and call it a day. ha!

This is what we do too...and then dd8 just saw the pics from the blog and said MOM we need to cut out the jail and put magnets on it! But the sad part is...our board is TOO small! I need a bigger board!

However I will laminate ours.

You know, I do think it would be easier with wider bars (or more space between them at least!), that's worth considering. Wider bars might hide more letters though, but there might be a way to make it more workable. DD likes to see the letters peering out, LOL! I used an exacto-knife when I cut ours out. I actually colored ours & then put magnets on the back so it could be up on our magnet board. You can see it on my blog--4th picture down on this post. I thought at one time that maybe I'd want to laminate it, but never got around to that. When we use it, we make the word out of the letter tiles, then plop the jail right over the top of the words.

Good idea. My ds loves ours and we only have one broken bar, so I think I'm going to laminate it and then put magnets on the corners.

This is what we do too...and then dd8 just saw the pics from the blog and said MOM we need to cut out the jail and put magnets on it! But the sad part is...our board is TOO small! I need a bigger board!

QUOTE]

That happened to me the first time I bought a whiteboard. Luckily Office Depot let me take it back, even though I had already opened the package. To get the right size cost me $50. But it's worth it! I keep our board slid behind our china cabinet when not in use, so that my 2 year old won't eat the magnets.

:confused: Are hi and gave irregular? They don't seem like rule-breakers to me.

Woops. I meant to type "give" not 'gave". The "e" should make the i long but doesn't in that case. And hi I guess I had wrong. I went back to where I thought I had seen that in AAS and its in lesson 69. I must have looked at it wrong because I thought they were saying hi fell into the rule that one syllable words with one vowel generally made the short vowel sound. But here it says if i is the last letter and only vowel in a word than it is long. So I guess that rule trumps the one for hi. So hi does follow that one. Darn English language with all these crazy rules and exceptions.

oops

:tongue_smilie:

Woops. I meant to type "give" not 'gave". The "e" should make the i long but doesn't in that case. And hi I guess I had wrong. I went back to where I thought I had seen that in AAS and its in lesson 69. I must have looked at it wrong because I thought they were saying hi fell into the rule that one syllable words with one vowel generally made the short vowel sound. But here it says if i is the last letter and only vowel in a word than it is long. So I guess that rule trumps the one for hi. So hi does follow that one. Darn English language with all these crazy rules and exceptions.

oops

But "give" isn't a rule breaker either. The silent 'e' is there to keep the 'v' from falling over. :lol:

And hi I guess I had wrong. I went back to where I thought I had seen that in AAS and its in lesson 69. I must have looked at it wrong because I thought they were saying hi fell into the rule that one syllable words with one vowel generally made the short vowel sound. But here it says if i is the last letter and only vowel in a word than it is long. So I guess that rule trumps the one for hi. So hi does follow that one. Darn English language with all these crazy rules and exceptions.

oops

I actually think "hi" is a rule-breaker. I'm not sure of the "rule" you are thinking of (and there isn't a lesson #69--I thought maybe you meant page # but I wasn't sure what level & step you meant). Anyway...when a vowel is in a closed syllable, it is usually short. Open syllables are usually long, and "hi" is an open-syllable. So, the "i" should be long.

The problem with "hi" is that English words don't end in I, J, U, or V. Hi is an exception to that rule. HTH!

The problem with "hi" is that English words don't end in I, J, U, or V. Hi is an exception to that rule. HTH!

Though would it still be an exception since it's just a shortened form of an English word? Is it still technically an English word in that case? :lurk5:

Though would it still be an exception since it's just a shortened form of an English word? Is it still technically an English word in that case? :lurk5:

LOL, I suppose that's arguable! It's considered slang, but it's so common now I don't think we think about it as slang!

I actually think "hi" is a rule-breaker. I'm not sure of the "rule" you are thinking of (and there isn't a lesson #69--I thought maybe you meant page # but I wasn't sure what level & step you meant). Anyway...when a vowel is in a closed syllable, it is usually short. Open syllables are usually long, and "hi" is an open-syllable. So, the "i" should be long.

Sorry- I didn't clarify. We're back here on Level 1. "Hi" is mentioned in Lesson 69 page 136 there. I haven't gotten to the rule you mentioned about ending in i,j, u and V yet. Good to know.

:001_smile:

Wow- I just realized I was talking about the OPGTR. I pulled that out instead of our AAS.

Edited by KristenR

ah, but what about g says 'j' before e,i, and y? it may be a rule breaker after all. ;)

It often says /j/, but not always. In Webster's Speller 1908 version (Don Potter's updated one), it has:

ga ge gi go gu gy

....ge gi..........gy

with that second line having markings on the 'g' to denote the /j/ sound. The first line is said with a /g/ sound.

In WRTR, Rule 3 says:

"When g has a sound by itself it can say 'j' only if it is followed by e, i, or y. When followed by any other letter, it says 'g'. (Get, girl, and give show that e and i do not always make g say 'j.') In spelling, if g is used to say 'j,' it must be followed by e, i, or y, as in pigeon, religious, energy."

So in order to get a /j/ sound from a g, you must put an e, i, or y after it. But g doesn't necessarily say /j/ just because one of those letters is there. ;) It's not quite the same as c, which must say /s/ if it's before e, i, or y.

(and I just realized this THIS week :lol:)

It often says /j/, but not always. In Webster's Speller 1908 version (Don Potter's updated one), it has:

ga ge gi go gu gy

....ge gi..........gy

with that second line having markings on the 'g' to denote the /j/ sound. The first line is said with a /g/ sound.

In WRTR, Rule 3 says:

"When g has a sound by itself it can say 'j' only if it is followed by e, i, or y. When followed by any other letter, it says 'g'. (Get, girl, and give show that e and i do not always make g say 'j.') In spelling, if g is used to say 'j,' it must be followed by e, i, or y, as in pigeon, religious, energy."

So in order to get a /j/ sound from a g, you must put an e, i, or y after it. But g doesn't necessarily say /j/ just because one of those letters is there. ;) It's not quite the same as c, which must say /s/ if it's before e, i, or y.

(and I just realized this THIS week :lol:)

i knew there would be an explanation out there somewhere!