Menu

Attn Mamas of big families: How do you afford groceries??

I'd say kangaroo tastes quite a lot like venison/deer, although I can tell the difference. Much cheaper, though.

Peela, which Farmers' Market do you go to? The ones I go to tend to sell quite a lot of organic produce but it's too expensive. If apples are $1/kg, organic or not, I'm there :D

Kangaroo...I have never had venison so I dont really know how to compare it. It doesnt have a strong flavour to me- or my kids wouldnt eat it either. Mixed as spag bol, or marinated kebabs, seems pretty similar to beef or lamb. Its nice because kangaroos are grass fed naturally :)

Farmer's Market....South Freo highschool, Lucy. Best markets- but a fair drive for you. The apples lately have been $2.50 for most of the morning, but then closer to 12, when it finishes, they cut all the fruit back to $1. Organic apples are $5.

There is no Bountiful Baskets in VA, but it is in SC and GA as well as 14 other states. It has grown very quickly, so it may not be long before it is available in VA. Bountiful baskets is a co-op, but you only participate when you want to. You pay $15 plus $1.50 cc processing fee for 10-12 fruits and vegetables. I received black grapes, plums, cantaloupe, strawberries, tomatoes, corn, lettuce, bananas, broccoli, and pears this morning. You order on Monday/Tuesday and pick up the following Sat. There are often addons, too, such as 9grain bread ($10/5 loaves), cases of various fruit and vegetables, herb packs, desserts, tortillas, etc. Their website is www.bountifulbaskets.org.

Garden, Aldi, Angelfood

I put up lots of food.I take anything offered. Ask people with fruit trees if I can pick their stuff. Any treats are homemade. I stockpile when there is a sale. I forage things- nuts, greens, etc. All this is hard work and very not glamorous. If we do go somewhere we're the family that brought lunch from home. Oh, and dh takes his lunch and we don't go out to eat.

Edited by joyofsix

I don't buy much prepared food and cook from scratch a lot. I haven't been baking our bread, but we don't eat a whole lot of bread. I don't buy cookies or muffins or desserts, but will occasionally bake some for a treat. I noticed the person who said she got milk for $1.98. Our milk here is $4.19 per gallon right now and that isn't the organic that I prefer. I try to spend $125 per week on groceries for the 5 of us, but it's frustrating because I feel like we're not eating enough fruits and vegetables and my kids aren't feeling like there is enough food in the house. Mind you, everyone is eating three meals a day and usually a snack, but all three kids are growing right now and eating a lot! I think if I got the amount of produce I wanted for our week, I would easily spend $60-80, and that isn't for organic. I'm trying, but am not having a lot of luck getting my crew to eat beans. Most will eat rice, but it isn't popular. We do work in pasta a lot. Coupons don't really work well for us because we don't use those products very much.

So I guess I'm doing OK because I'm sticking pretty close to the $500 per month at the moment, but I'm not getting as many fruits and veggies as I think we need. I would love to do better--getting more for my money so I feel better about the nutrition and the kids feeling like there is more here to eat.

So what are your favorite sites or books for recipes? I have Sue Gregg cookbooks but I need some more ideas. :)

Thanks for all the answers so far... I know this subject is beat to death on this board but I need some guidance before we go broke!

Watch her videos and check the prices in your area for CVS, Walmart and your local grocery store. Her book (library) is also excellent on how to cook for less money.

You MUST know your prices and shop at more than one store. Aldi's is the BEST, CHEAPEST place for basics - I love the place! :001_smile:

We have 12 kids and I always say, keep it simple, make from scratch, and make it healthy. In these 3 things we can keep our grocery bill down and children healthy and full. Much of this is written on my blog under recipes and or nourishing traditions.

I don't really shop at grocery stores for most things. I visit farm stands and farmer's markets for produce. I get dry goods, shampoo, dairy products, ect from http://www.azurestandard.com . We visit Costco about every six weeks or so. I plan meals according to what we have in our pantry. I don't bake, but get baked goods from a local bakery and bakery outlet.

I've found that bypassing grocery stores and using local resources saves me money and increases the quality of the food I end up with. At a local bakery I can get a good quality loaf of freshly baked bread for $2.25. They slice it and put it in a bag in front of me. The processed prepackaged bread at the supermarket is about $4. Super markets are not your friend. If you do a bit of research you can most likely find other alternatives.