Menu

Please help me. I don't know if I can go on like this.

:grouphug::grouphug: I'm sorry. I know food can be so overwhelming and you're dealing with more restrictions than us (and I thought we were bad).

My mom got great relief from gall bladder removal. I know that doesn't happen for everyone and I understand why you're cautious.

I know you said it's weary inducing but I don't think varied and changing meals are at all practical when you're juggling multiple "big" food allergies.

We eat the same four day rotation of meals--day 1 menu, day 2 (different foods and ingredients), 3 (different foods), 4 (different foods), repeat day 1 meals. Some meals do involve different dishes for different people but my plan over-laps ingredients or prep work whenever possible. It also includes some make ahead and freeze. I know what we're eating breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner any day of the week for the indefinite future. Boring? I guess. My kids are used to it I suppose. I was making myself absolutely nuts trying to do varied and it wasn't doing my major allergy guy any favors as I tended to repeat ingredients. Now he doesn't repeat foods in any four day period except a few things I'm confident aren't going to go allergy on him due to lots of tolerated exposure. I do try to make sure the meals in a given day are varied too. Maybe that helps keep the boredom away.

At any rate when I set up this system I finally felt sane about food. It's still a pain to have to cook multiple "from scratch" things meal in and meal out but I no longer have to think about it aside from stocked ingredients.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: We have a two week menu plan and just rotate it over and over. What we eat for dinner, we eat for lunch the next day. Boring, but so necessary here!

Sympathy and hugs from here, too!

You need a meal plan. A 4 day rotation, as a pp mentioned, is great. 5-7 days is even better, if you have enough foods for that.

First list what proteins, carbs, veg/fruit you CAN do.

Proteins--you mentioned beef, any kind of fish/seafood?, beans?, goat milk/cheese/yog (or do you need to avoid this just like cow's milk?), lamb or peanuts (you mentioned tree nuts, not sure about peanuts), what else?

Carbs--millet, amaranth, buckwheat? keep going...

Veg/fruit--seems like you probably have more choices here

Fats/oils--what works?

If you could post a list of what you can have, maybe people could post recipe or meal suggestions.

It is doable, but you need a plan when you have so many restrictions.

How do you know candida is not an issue? What about other fungal or bacterial gut issues? Possibly related to sick building/water damaged building issues? Any leaks at all in the house? High dose probiotics can help in so many ways. Not all gut dysbiosis (which can cause so many allergies/sensitivities) is due to candida, as there are many other microbes that will colonize the GI tract. Inhaled allergens can cause gut issues because the mucous we swallow goes through the GI tract.

For meals, I no longer think in terms of recipes with multiple ingredients. If your family gets a protein, carb, fat and fruit/veg in one meal, that's good.

Amy

Well, I've heard that removal isn't always the answer and that issues can go on despite not having one anymore. Not to mention the issues that can crop up from not having one. Sigh.

It is almost always a quick fix and the pain almost always goes way immediately. There are very few side effects after surgery.

present can be really dangerous and lead to serious bladder, bowel and pancreas issues. It will only get worse - not better. Deal with it now before you end up in an emergency room getting emergency surgery because of a life threatening obstruction or infection.

I have some irritable bowel issues but very vague symptoms are absolutely NOTHING compared to full blown miserable gall bladder attacks. I'll take vague irritable bowel symptoms over "rolling over in agony, unable to function symptoms" any day of the week! Also, gall stones can lead to some serious infections and acute pancreatitis which can be very very dangerous.

I had my gall bladder removed almost a year ago. I try to avoid, but not entirely, especially fatty (and super-especially fried) foods.

When I went to the doctor (urgent care) with symptoms that had progressively worsened, they did a blood panel and when the results came back, they said my liver enzymes were extremely high and then put me on an ambulance and sent me to the local hospital. An ultrasound did not indicate that I needed surgery immediately, so it was scheduled about three weeks out.

I don't regret having my GB removed, and I'm sure happy to feel so much better after weeks of misery.

Sorry I have no advice about the foods, but it looks like there are plenty of folks who have some great advice. :grouphug:

Did an allergist say these were not true allergies? I ask because itchy throat is considered a sign of a serious reaction from what I understand.

As she referred to those as, "oral allergies," I assume she meant oral allergy syndrome, which is a cross-reaction to pollen with certain raw fruits & veggies. Itchy/swelling mouth/lips area, but not to the point of obstructing breathing. If it is OAS though, cooking the food will generally eliminate the reaction so you can eat it with no issues. (I have this with the ragweed cross-pollination group.)

As she referred to those as, "oral allergies," I assume she meant oral allergy syndrome, which is a cross-reaction to pollen with certain raw fruits & veggies. Itchy/swelling mouth/lips area, but not to the point of obstructing breathing. If it is OAS though, cooking the food will generally eliminate the reaction so you can eat it with no issues. (I have this with the ragweed cross-pollination group.)

Yes, this is what I meant. I had a temporary lapse in memory. It has not been a stellar day around here. :tongue_smilie:

Yes but can tree nuts cause oral allergy syndrome? I think she said tree nuts was one of the offenders:( MY ds is allergic to tree nuts and I was told one of the reasons to give the epi-pen was for swelling in the mouth lips /area. They said to give the epi-pen for anything more than a simple skin reaction of hives.

Edited by priscilla