Menu

A bedroom sharing wwyd

The bedrooms in our house are small. The wall opposite the door is not straight; about half of it is pushed out about 2 feet and has a window. Adjacent the door is a closet with no doors (the owners took them out and carpeted over the thingy in the middle). Both smaller bedrooms are mirror images with only a small change in the closet.

We finally have money to buy the youngest a bed. Once we have it, we'll begin transitioning her to her own bed in my oldest daughter's room. I just spent some time trying to figure out how to make it work, and I'm at a loss about what to do.

If I put the beds parallel to the long walls, one girl will have the head of her bed under the window and the other girl will have the head of her bed on the wall parallel. There will be about a foot of space between the beds and no room for nightstands of any kind. There also won't be room for any other furniture like my daughter's computer. There are two options for my daughter's computer: blocking their shared 4-drawer dresser that's in the closet or blocking the only heater and reducing the space to enter the room.

If I put the beds the other direction (perpendicular to above), the computer could go in the window. One bed would have to be about a foot away from the wall on the side to make room for the computer chair, which would give her space for a nightstand. The other bed would be parallel about a foot away. That would leave about a foot to open the dresser drawers/access the closet, about 18-24 inches to go around the foot of the beds, and just enough room to squeak the door closed.

The option option would be to get rid of DD's bed and buy bunk beds, but my 11 year old doesn't want to sleep on top and my 2 year old is too young to sleep on top.

The final option is to buy them a queen bed to share, which my daughter would consider.

WWYD?

The bedrooms in our house are small. The wall opposite the door is not straight; about half of it is pushed out about 2 feet and has a window. Adjacent the door is a closet with no doors (the owners took them out and carpeted over the thingy in the middle). Both smaller bedrooms are mirror images with only a small change in the closet.

We finally have money to buy the youngest a bed. Once we have it, we'll begin transitioning her to her own bed in my oldest daughter's room. I just spent some time trying to figure out how to make it work, and I'm at a loss about what to do.

If I put the beds parallel to the long walls, one girl will have the head of her bed under the window and the other girl will have the head of her bed on the wall parallel. There will be about a foot of space between the beds and no room for nightstands of any kind. There also won't be room for any other furniture like my daughter's computer. There are two options for my daughter's computer: blocking their shared 4-drawer dresser that's in the closet or blocking the only heater and reducing the space to enter the room.

If I put the beds the other direction (perpendicular to above), the computer could go in the window. One bed would have to be about a foot away from the wall on the side to make room for the computer chair, which would give her space for a nightstand. The other bed would be parallel about a foot away. That would leave about a foot to open the dresser drawers/access the closet, about 18-24 inches to go around the foot of the beds, and just enough room to squeak the door closed.

The option option would be to get rid of DD's bed and buy bunk beds, but my 11 year old doesn't want to sleep on top and my 2 year old is too young to sleep on top.

The final option is to buy them a queen bed to share, which my daughter would consider.

WWYD?

I shared a double bed with my sister from babyhood until I was 8. I think that's a great option. We're considering if for our 10 yo and 4 yo. They share a room and frequently we find them sharing the twin bed. Makes no sense to have a single bed for each IMO. But we're still thinking.

Bunk beds have a time limit. They seem to "outgrow" them by junior high or earlier.

I would go with a double or full size bed.

I saw one the other day with a full size on the bottom and a twin bunk up above. Little DD could share the full size bed with her sister until she got old enough to sleep on the top bunk and big DD needed more space.

The extra top bunk makes a good place to store toys,etc until it's needed for sleeping.

What about something like this?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10123996

My oldest has it in her room, and the 2yo has a crib mattress underneath. It's not as high as a bunk bed, so perhaps your 11yo would still be comfortable up there? The blue panels can be reversed to white, btw. We figure when our girls outgrow it, we'll flip it and give it to our ds. It's a neat bed.

I would go with a double or full size bed.

I saw one the other day with a full size on the bottom and a twin bunk up above. Little DD could share the full size bed with her sister until she got old enough to sleep on the top bunk and big DD needed more space.

The extra top bunk makes a good place to store toys,etc until it's needed for sleeping.

:iagree:

Anne

Does dd(2) have a crib? Can you just put the mattress in the other room, perpendicular to the twin bed? She'll fit on it for a few more years.

Or get smaller beds. We have a set someone gave us from Ikea (at least 30 years old) that are under 3 feet wide. (I used foam from JoAnn's for new mattresses.) It would make a huge difference in a small room.

I would also look at trundle beds, or a futon bed that can be folded down into a full size bed at night. Would your kids consider a loft bed?

We are moving kids around now and I have a request from the 12 year old for two twin loft beds in the girls room, with a separate futon that folds down into a full size bed and a couple flip chairs that can unfold into little single beds underneath in a sort of living room type configuration. They aren't allowed a computer or tv in their room. The nearly 8 year old and the 12 year old would each have a loft bed and my nearly one year old granddaughter would have a flip chair that folds into a bed. The futon would be for friends or an adult visiting daughter.

Edited by Rainefox

I measured the space between the legs to see if a trundle would fit. It's only 7 1/2 inches tall so I think we would have to raise it. The little bed risers would reduce the length to one that I think would be too small to get the bed in and out. Argh!

The space is 74 1/2 inches (with no give) x 40 3/4 inches x 7 1/2 inches.

My budget for frame and mattress is about $200-$300.