Menu

I think I need a reality check

ksr5377

This year I will be homeschooling my two daughters in Kindergarten. We were planning on being a part of a co-op that meets every Friday, but after looking at our schedule I'm beginning to wonder if that's necessary? We also get together with another home school group for shorter (2 hours or so), mainly social events twice a month. I'm beginning to wonder if in my attempt to make sure they have friends and we get out of the house, if we'll be out of the house too much?

Sunday: Church/Sunday School

Monday: Every other week meet with less formal homeschool group. Can meet with them more often if we want, this is just what we shoot for.

Tuesday: Home

Wednesday: Home (although may have dance classes in evening)

Thursday: HS Gym (held at local YMCA, other daughter has dance class there at similar time, quite a few homeschooling families in attendance on this day and many hang out afterward to play/picnic etc.)

Friday: Co-op?

Saturday: Swim lessons

When looking at it all laid out I'm beginning to wonder when we're actually going to do the curriculum I have planned? I just feel like something, if not several things, have to go, and the co-op is my least favorite. I guess I'm just looking for someone with more experience to tell me that yes, I can say no to the co-op. I just feel guilty since we signed up in the spring and now, a month before it's starting I'm having major second thoughts.

Short answer: let it go! :)

Longer answer: one of the biggest causes of homeschool burnout is doing too much, too soon. You are doing KINDERGARTEN this year, not high school. Start slow. Take time to find your groove. Allow yourself time and space to BREATHE - you will need it! ENJOY this new journey with your children!!

Anne

Agreed. Drop the co-op.

For my first year, I didn't do any outside activities at all (well, except a Let's Pretend Hospital that only 1st graders can do... I let DS do that). I was doing first grade. I don't need to farm out education at this point, and my son has 2 brothers to play with at home, so he's well socialized. He also has church Sunday/Wednesday and hockey once a week. If I had a co-op to deal with, I'd be frazzled all week.

So no co-ops here. I'm not doing one this year either, and don't really have any plans of ever doing one, though of course that could change at some point. Right now, I find it unnecessary for my kids.

I am part of a homeschool group. We went to one function last year that didn't interfere with our studies. This year, I'll probably do a little more, but it's not a weekly occurrence or anything.

There's no "right" or "wrong" amount of time to be home or out - especially not for kindergarten where it's hard to argue that you need a long time to accomplish your schooling. I don't know what the co-op is like, or what its goals are or why you chose it specifically in the first place, so I can't say. If it doesn't feel right, maybe you should drop it. I will say that we do two small family co-ops and it's 100% worth it for us to have those wonderful communities and relationships. Also, that this board, in my opinion, is very anti-co-op on the whole, so I'm not a bit surprised if the advice is to drop it. I've never seen the majority of the advice be to keep a co-op.

You certainly don't need a co-op for kindergarten. I mean, what is it that you cannot possible teach to 5yo dc???

I'm a big fan of just staying home. IMHO, we miss out on so much by trying to get things done so we can get out of the house, then being out of the house, then trying to regroup when we get home. And the more we are out of the house, the less satisfied we are to be at home. Together. Homeschooling.

I vote for no co-op.

This year I will be homeschooling my two daughters in Kindergarten. We were planning on being a part of a co-op that meets every Friday, but after looking at our schedule I'm beginning to wonder if that's necessary? We also get together with another home school group for shorter (2 hours or so), mainly social events twice a month. I'm beginning to wonder if in my attempt to make sure they have friends and we get out of the house, if we'll be out of the house too much?

Sunday: Church/Sunday School

Monday: Every other week meet with less formal homeschool group. Can meet with them more often if we want, this is just what we shoot for.

Tuesday: Home

Wednesday: Home (although may have dance classes in evening)

Thursday: HS Gym (held at local YMCA, other daughter has dance class there at similar time, quite a few homeschooling families in attendance on this day and many hang out afterward to play/picnic etc.)

Friday: Co-op?

Saturday: Swim lessons

When looking at it all laid out I'm beginning to wonder when we're actually going to do the curriculum I have planned? I just feel like something, if not several things, have to go, and the co-op is my least favorite. I guess I'm just looking for someone with more experience to tell me that yes, I can say no to the co-op. I just feel guilty since we signed up in the spring and now, a month before it's starting I'm having major second thoughts.

I would drop something too. I'm guessing that Thurs. gym is once a week during the day? And if you drop something you should drop your least favorite thing or the thing that really doesn't seem to be paying dividends for your time investment. Don't feel guilty AT ALL!!!

We school 4 days per week. Once a month we give up an afternoon. That afternoon is HARD to give up but we're still doing it. I've decided it's worth it but it's still HARD. :001_smile:

I'm with PPs -- I'd consider dropping something. That does sound like a lot to me. Even if I didn't have the preschooler and the infant, I think that would be too much out of the house time for my 6yo, 9yo, and me. This year, we'll have dance for the 9yo one evening a week and co-op for everyone once every two weeks (and maybe other activities with the co-op group on the non-co-op weeks). Add errands, grocery shopping, library, etc. either on another day, or tacked on to co-op day, plus the occasional get-together with another family or field trip, and that is plenty for us!

There's no "right" or "wrong" amount of time to be home or out - especially not for kindergarten where it's hard to argue that you need a long time to accomplish your schooling. I don't know what the co-op is like, or what its goals are or why you chose it specifically in the first place, so I can't say. If it doesn't feel right, maybe you should drop it. I will say that we do two small family co-ops and it's 100% worth it for us to have those wonderful communities and relationships. Also, that this board, in my opinion, is very anti-co-op on the whole, so I'm not a bit surprised if the advice is to drop it. I've never seen the majority of the advice be to keep a co-op.

:iagree: We are out of the house almost every day of the week and have been for a couple of years now. We do get our school done and most of our commitments can't be dropped, but I don't think it's too much. Here's what our week looks like so you can have a reference:

Sunday:Sunday School/Church/Choir (I keep the nursery for pay in the evening)

Monday: Speech therapy

Tuesday: Art/4H (every other week, I teach the art for pay) & Gymnastics (every week)

Wednesday: Church (I keep the nursery for pay)

Thursday: Home

Friday: Support group/Gymnastics (every week)

Saturday: home

Only you know how much away time is too much for your family. My Friday support group really helps me regroup and be ready to face the next week... but we're a support group and NOT a co-op. We do lots of learning activities, but I'm only responsible for one special event the entire year. What will your co-op require and what are the benefits? If the reasons you signed up still out rank the reasons you want to drop, then keep it. If not... don't.:D

My kids are in a homeschool group and they usually take one outside class every semester at a local enrichment center. This has always been a good experience. However...you've gotta make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to actually homeschool. We had one semester where I completely overscheduled everyone and we fell behind in our curriculum. :glare: Not good, especially when they are older elementary-middle school age.

There's no "right" or "wrong" amount of time to be home or out - especially not for kindergarten where it's hard to argue that you need a long time to accomplish your schooling. I don't know what the co-op is like, or what its goals are or why you chose it specifically in the first place, so I can't say. If it doesn't feel right, maybe you should drop it. I will say that we do two small family co-ops and it's 100% worth it for us to have those wonderful communities and relationships.

If you really feel like it's too much to be out of the house etc, by all means, drop it if you prefer.

But if you feel like it will be fun and you guys will enjoy being out of the house that much, by all means, keep it! Don't start stressing over whether you'll have enough time to do a curriculum- it's Kindergarten. It shouldn't take more than like an hour, hour and a half to do a curriculum with them, and kids that age learn tons just by getting out there and living life (or participating in co-ops, or playing, or being with you, or whatever the case may be). So don't feel guilty about doing schoolwork around life rather than living life around schoolwork, especially at that age.

I'm going to have one in sixth grade and one in K this year and we still plan on being out of the house a decent amount. We enjoy doing so, and we enjoy having the flexibility to do so.

There's no "right" or "wrong" amount of time to be home or out - especially not for kindergarten where it's hard to argue that you need a long time to accomplish your schooling. I don't know what the co-op is like, or what its goals are or why you chose it specifically in the first place, so I can't say. If it doesn't feel right, maybe you should drop it. I will say that we do two small family co-ops and it's 100% worth it for us to have those wonderful communities and relationships.

I agree. If you really feel like it's too much to be out of the house etc, by all means, drop it if you prefer.

But if you feel like it will be fun and you guys will enjoy being out of the house that much, by all means, keep it! Don't start stressing over whether you'll have enough time to do a curriculum- it's Kindergarten. It shouldn't take more than like an hour, hour and a half to do a curriculum with them, and kids that age learn tons just by getting out there and living life (or participating in co-ops, or playing, or being with you, or whatever the case may be). So don't feel guilty about doing schoolwork around life rather than living life around schoolwork, especially at that age.

I'm going to have one in sixth grade and one in K this year and we still plan on being out of the house a decent amount. We enjoy doing so, and we enjoy having the flexibility to do so.

I could go either way... It is a lot out of the house during the day/school time w/your informal group, P.E., and Friday co-op weeks. That means some weeks you will only be home 2 days a week full time.

On the flip side, I think that is more than enough time to do K! All of your activities are school/learning times. Your kids will enjoy it.

When my oldest was K we did Scouts one evening a week, library storytime one morning a week, hs field trip group once a month, and another storytime at a library once a month, and gymnastics one night a week (luckily the same night as scouts, one right before the other)

It was a lot out of the house, and I did drop some by the next year for 1st grade. But it was K. She did a little math lesson every day while I cooked dinner, whether we had been out of the house or not. I read to her, she read to me and we listened to books on tape on every day. We went to the zoo, the park, and museums. We learned songs. We did crafts and writing on the days we were home. It was plenty of time.

I didn't join a co-op until she was in 2nd and the youngest was in K, and I am so glad we joined. It has been a positive experience for us.

I would start slow. It may be a lot easier to add rather than drop later.

We are way too over-committed in activities, but it's so hard to stop once the kids become invested it them, especially the friendships. We have some kind of outside lesson or activity almost every day of the week. We wait until late afternoon or evening so it doesn't interfere with school work, but it still takes its toll.

We were going to drop coop due to dh's concerns, but it's all being rethought because the schedule now provides for 4 high school subjects with really excellent teachers. The key to deciding is whether it makes your life easier or harder.

I think we all have to look at our schedules at a lens of reality to see what we can really do with our time, our energy and sense of family. As other posters have said, your children are only 5. That is a lot of activity for such young children and takes a lot of energy and time away from the home. If your heart is telling you to let something go, perhaps you should drop something.

My own schedule had to be revamped recently for the very same reason. I wanted my son to have plenty of social outlets but then I realized that we would have trouble actually getting his school work done. Not to mention the time it would take to re-group once he got home. Driving time to get to an event, time home, time to get ready, that all has to be included as well. As parents, we want to do the very best for our children and sometimes it is difficult to find that balance between home life and outside activities. I pray that you find what is best for your family.

Thank you for all the feedback. I think we're going to drop the co-op. Since I'm already worrying about it and it hasn't even started, I feel more comfortable adding things into the mix instead of having to quit activities in the middle of the year. Also, if it was just the twins I would probably be OK, but we do also have a preschooler and a 10 month old that I will be dragging around to all of this. Maybe I'm more worried about ME being exhausted, not the 5 year olds?