Menu

Canadian mamas - about history

WarriorMama

Hypothetically - would you be interested in an all-inclusive Canadian history curriculum? Something chronological you could use alongside world history in the WTM 4-year-cycle?

Would that be helpful/valuable to you, or am I the only one who wishes it existed? ;)

ETA: What would the perfect Canadian history curriculum look like for you?

:bigear:

Edited by WarriorMama

I am not Canadian but if I were, I would absolutely be interested. Or in an inclusive Swedish curriculum if I were Swedish, or Brazilian curriculum if I were Brazilian.

I think it is absolutely relevant for a citizen of ANY country to have a good understanding of the history and government of their own nation.

I am not Canadian but if I were, I would absolutely be interested. Or in an inclusive Swedish curriculum if I were Swedish, or Brazilian curriculum if I were Brazilian.

I think it is absolutely relevant for a citizen of ANY country to have a good understanding of the history and government of their own nation.

Agreed! And I think when there's not really a good solid resource for something, it can be hard to do it justice without a ton of work.

YES! I have been trying to teach Canadian history alongside the SL american history cores. If it would be much easier if there was already something developed and packaged kwim.

Totally! I have this 'perfect' curriculum in my head that I would love to have at my disposal. Complete with accompanying Canadian literature program. :D

YES!

I wish there was something like SOTW

Yes! I was thinking SOTW-ish too, but maybe on more of a logic-stage level. With biographies built into it...and primary source documents...and reading lists...and maybe a follow-up course on Canadian government/politics.

Not that I've been giving this a little too much thought or anything. :lol:

Yes! I was thinking SOTW-ish too, but maybe on more of a logic-stage level. With biographies built into it...and primary source documents...and reading lists...and maybe a follow-up course on Canadian government/politics.

Not that I've been giving this a little too much thought or anything. :lol:

Actually, something like the Oxford history series' for middle school (ex. The Medieval and Early Modern World) would be just about perfect and sounds a lot like what you're describing.

What would the perfect curriculum look like for you? Anything in particular you REALLY would want such a thing to have?

Format-wise, it would be be basically like SOTW with the AG. So a narrative-style main text, and an Activity Guide complete with comprehension questions, literature recommendations (with as few out of print titles as possible!), activities, mapwork, etc. Coordinating timeline figures would be great.

Content-wise, it would begin with the First Nations history, fur trade, first settlers... on to Confederation and beyond...how and when the provinces were established... Canada's role in WW1 and 2, and other military action... all the way to present day. (And many more topics of course, this is just what jumps to mind)

I'm interested in something aimed at 3-5th graders, to be used along side SOTW. I have Modern History through Canadian Eyes, and it seems like I'd still have to do a lot of pulling together...

Is this something you're considering developing?

Heather

Format-wise, it would be be basically like SOTW with the AG. So a narrative-style main text, and an Activity Guide complete with comprehension questions, literature recommendations (with as few out of print titles as possible!), activities, mapwork, etc. Coordinating timeline figures would be great.

Content-wise, it would begin with the First Nations history, fur trade, first settlers... on to Confederation and beyond...how and when the provinces were established... Canada's role in WW1 and 2, and other military action... all the way to present day. (And many more topics of course, this is just what jumps to mind)

I'm interested in something aimed at 3-5th graders, to be used along side SOTW. I have Modern History through Canadian Eyes, and it seems like I'd still have to do a lot of pulling together...

Is this something you're considering developing?

Heather

Interesting, thanks for sharing! This is along the lines that I was thinking as well, although I'm not sure if I want something for about grades 3-5, or something for logic stage. Maybe something that would be adaptable to both age ranges.

I AM considering writing it...a little bit. :tongue_smilie:

It seems like such a daunting task, but part me is thinking that if I already have to go to all the trouble of pulling it together to use with my kids...why not? :)

I have pretty well done this with Canadian History, along side SOTW 3 and 4. I've used The Story of Canada and Canada A People's History (as suggested in Modern History through Canadian Eyes), adding my own activities, reading, other videos, primary sources, etc. I can share if anyone wants it. I think I still have my early years (we are stating this year on Klondike Gold Rush.)

I will be writing a guide something like what you have described for my DC, starting in the new year. I am going to focus on the logic stage, but I want to also include my younger ones.

I have already been collecting books, but the real work will start after Christmas so that I am ready by next fall. I will be writing something that we can basically use along with year 3 and 4 of our world history cycle, so the key will be balancing the work load/reading load of world history and Canadian history.

I will not be writing a text like SOTW, because with 5 children I do not think that I could do it justice. I will be going through all of the narrative texts that I can find, to find the best fit for our family(so if you want to write one, that would be awesome), then I will be adding primary sources, biographies and literature. I will have discussion questions, essay and short answer questions, as well as outlining and re-writing from outlines from a variety of sources built-in. I would also like to add a Canadian supplement something like the Critical Thinking books for US history.

I am the kind of person that tweaks every single history curriculum that I have ever used, and honestly I still haven't found anything that I totally love.

Edited by Roxy Roller
addition

Writing from Ottawa....This would really be great!

I started homeschooling my ds13 last year (grade 7). As I couldn't find a good Canadian History Curriculum, I ended up using the text recommended by the Ontario curriculum list (Pearson geography/history flip book). I am using the grade 8 text this year. Although we have/will cover everything, I think it was/is a little dry. I supplement with online resources, projects and the dvds (Canada A People's History - (These were a hit!)). I cant help but think that there should be an easier way to present Canada's history in a more interesting way.

This year I will have my youngest ds(10) home (grade 5) for the first year and according to PS requirements he would be covering ancient civilizations and not much real Canadian content except for the workings of the Canadian government.

I have pretty well done this with Canadian History, along side SOTW 3 and 4. I've used The Story of Canada and Canada A People's History (as suggested in Modern History through Canadian Eyes), adding my own activities, reading, other videos, primary sources, etc. I can share if anyone wants it. I think I still have my early years (we are stating this year on Klondike Gold Rush.)

I for one would be interested in hearing about what you used, for sure!

I will be writing a guide something like what you have described for my DC, starting in the new year. I am going to focus on the logic stage, but I want to also include my younger ones.

I have already been collecting books, but the real work will start after Christmas so that I am ready by next fall. I will be writing something that we can basically use along with year 3 and 4 of our world history cycle, so the key will be balancing the work load/reading load of world history and Canadian history.

I will not be writing a text like SOTW, because with 5 children I do not think that I could do it justice. I will be going through all of the narrative texts that I can find, to find the best fit for our family(so if you want to write one, that would be awesome), then I will be adding primary sources, biographies and literature. I will have discussion questions, essay and short answer questions, as well as outlining and re-writing from outlines from a variety of sources built-in. I would also like to add a Canadian supplement something like the Critical Thinking books for US history.

I am the kind of person that tweaks every single history curriculum that I have ever used, and honestly I still haven't found anything that I totally love.

Sounds like you're on the road to a very awesome resource! :)

Writing the narrative part is actually the most appealing part to me, haha. Compiling all the resources and suggestions would be fun too, though. Especially if you enjoy doing research!

I don't know the Critical Thinking books - what are they?

Writing from Ottawa....This would really be great!

I started homeschooling my ds13 last year (grade 7). As I couldn't find a good Canadian History Curriculum, I ended up using the text recommended by the Ontario curriculum list (Pearson geography/history flip book). I am using the grade 8 text this year. Although we have/will cover everything, I think it was/is a little dry. I supplement with online resources, projects and the dvds (Canada A People's History - (These were a hit!)). I cant help but think that there should be an easier way to present Canada's history in a more interesting way.

This year I will have my youngest ds(10) home (grade 5) for the first year and according to PS requirements he would be covering ancient civilizations and not much real Canadian content except for the workings of the Canadian government.

Are you mainly following the provincial guidelines?

I'm doing a 4-year world history cycle as outlined in the Well Trained Mind, so Canadian history sort of fits alongside years three and four. But since there's not really a curriculum for it out there, you sort of have to invent your own path. :)

I'm really enjoying hearing about what everybody else is doing and what sort of resources they would love to have!

I for one would be interested in hearing about what you used, for sure!

Me too! My son is still very young, but I'm on a budget and I've got a running wish list so i can grab something on sale or used when I see it.

I would LOVE more Canadian history. There seems to be so much for American History and as a Canadian I don't suppose I'd go quite that in depth. I live in BC so tons of Fur Trade and Gold Rush history around here I'd like to take advantage of!

Sounds like you're on the road to a very awesome resource! :)

Writing the narrative part is actually the most appealing part to me, haha. Compiling all the resources and suggestions would be fun too, though. Especially if you enjoy doing research!

I don't know the Critical Thinking books - what are they?

I would love to have another narrative option, so please write one!:001_smile: I love doing the research part, so that is why that appeals to me.

Here is a link to one of the Critical Thinking books.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/006329/620188242525b9a9e387c9c0

I would love to have another narrative option, so please write one!:001_smile: I love doing the research part, so that is why that appeals to me.

Here is a link to one of the Critical Thinking books.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/006329/620188242525b9a9e387c9c0

Oh, those books seem like a very cool idea! A Canadian version would be amazing! :)

I also love doing research! It's one of my favourite parts of homeschooling. Apparently I'm a big nerd. :tongue_smilie:

Me too! My son is still very young, but I'm on a budget and I've got a running wish list so i can grab something on sale or used when I see it.

I would LOVE more Canadian history. There seems to be so much for American History and as a Canadian I don't suppose I'd go quite that in depth. I live in BC so tons of Fur Trade and Gold Rush history around here I'd like to take advantage of!

Somehow I missed this post last night!

I hear so many people saying they want something more for Canadian history. It seems crazy that there's nothing out there for the homeschooling community - I'm sure there are enough of us to make a curriculum like that worthwhile!

I think that as our closest neighbors American history is valuable to learn as well. I'm sort of (this is all far away for me still, haha) planning to do it as an elective in middle or high school. Canadian history will be a much bigger focus for us too.

Since I've started asking everybody -what would the perfect history curriculum for you look like?

So why don't some of us write one together? There seem to be several of us who have already done a lot of research.

Anyone game?

I might be hard to coordinate, but I would love to divide up some of the work. It would be great if we all had different strengths, and we could agree on some kind of rough outline.

I might be hard to coordinate, but I would love to divide up some of the work. It would be great if we all had different strengths, and we could agree on some kind of rough outline.

I agree - making sure everybody had the same sort of vision in mind would be the hard part, but it sure would be nice to divide up the workload!

I too would love to see what you have! :)

We are just getting ready to start 2nd grade with dd6 (soon 7) and I have been thinking a lot about what I am going to do for Canadian history. I was thinking of introducing it into 3rd or 4th grade but had no idea where to start. I do know that I want it to be way better than how it was taught to me when I was a kid. It was so dry and boring. I want something more SOTW, focused on a child's mind so that she doesn't see Canadian history as boring as I did. To this day I find the Canadian history quite uninteresting which is unfortunate. I would also like to be able to do it without having to buy a million books to gather a little information here and there.

I want Canadian history combined WITH world history, not just a separate program I try to splice alongside world history.

And I want it to be like Sonlight (at least in the elementary years).

Interesting! I've never used Sonlight - it does history mainly through literature, correct?

We are just getting ready to start 2nd grade with dd6 (soon 7) and I have been thinking a lot about what I am going to do for Canadian history. I was thinking of introducing it into 3rd or 4th grade but had no idea where to start. I do know that I want it to be way better than how it was taught to me when I was a kid. It was so dry and boring. I want something more SOTW, focused on a child's mind so that she doesn't see Canadian history as boring as I did. To this day I find the Canadian history quite uninteresting which is unfortunate. I would also like to be able to do it without having to buy a million books to gather a little information here and there.

I don't know if you remember talking to me before, but our girls are the same age. :)

I was sort of intending to do Canadian history alongside world history in grades 3 and 4, but can't really find anything that fits the image in my head. I also had a really poor history education in school and I KNOW it can be done better! I agree about having to buy a million books and piece things together, something that includes all the info would be ideal!

It would be handy, but I sort of wonder if combining them would lead to less depth in both. I see having to do Canadian history as an extra subject to be able to go into the detail I'd like, but I could be wrong. :)

I can see where you are coming from, but to understand many of the things that happened in our country, you have to understand the many other things that were going on in the US and world at the same time. I think that is where we get our 'Canadian history is boring' from. When we can show our children why something happened, as opposed to having it be just an isolated incident, I think it makes a difference, and cements it in their minds. To me connections are so important. It would be really hard for me to teach Canadian history if it wasn't intertwined with US and world history.

Edited by Roxy Roller
adding content

I can see where you are coming from, but to understand many of the things that happened in our country, you have to understand the many other things that were going on in the US and world at the same time. I think that is where we get our 'Canadian history is boring' from. When we can show our children why something happened, as opposed to having it be just an isolated incident, I think it makes a difference, and cements it in their minds. To me connections are so important. It would be really hard for me to teach Canadian history if it wasn't intertwined with US and world history.

Oh, absolutely ccontext and connections are amazingly important. I would want to teach Canadian history concurrently with world history for that reason. I mostly meant that in terms of combining them into a single curriculum, content would almost inevitably get trimmed down, and I'd rather two separate programs for that reason. :)

Yes, SL is literature based, and is very open-and-go dead easy to use :).

I'm with Roxy - I don't want to teach modern history from a US perspective, I want to teach it from a Canadian perspective. Canada is a YOUNG country. Most classical history currics do four years - the last two are often the period Canadian history slots into, and most of the US programs are very US-centric during this time - think MFW. I don't want to use programs like that to teach the modern period that Canada slots into. Ancients, sure, medieval, reformation, sure, but colonization through Canada? I'd love to get that from a Canadian perspective :).

FWIW it is just too hard for me organizationally to teach two history programs concurrently. It is WAY too difficult to line them up. I'd actually rather teach Canadian content entirely separately while dropping world history for that time period and just use a timeline to line up events instead of trying to combine two programs on my own. My brain would explode.

I'm with Roxy - I don't want to teach modern history from a US perspective, I want to teach it from a Canadian perspective. Canada is a YOUNG country. Most classical history currics do four years - the last two are often the period Canadian history slots into, and most of the US programs are very US-centric during this time - think MFW. I don't want to use programs like that to teach the modern period that Canada slots into. Ancients, sure, medieval, reformation, sure, but colonization through Canada? I'd love to get that from a Canadian perspective :).

I agree that from what I have looked at, most classical curricula are US-centric. I want my children to know US history, BUT we are Canadian, and I want to teach from that perspective.

I agree that from what I have looked at, most classical curricula are US-centric. I want my children to know US history, BUT we are Canadian, and I want to teach from that perspective.

Agreed. I want my dc to know US history too, but I want THAT to be the 'add on', not Canadian history if that makes sense :). Instead of integrating US and world history with Canada tacked on, I want integrated Canadian and world history with the US tacked on.

Haven't seen it yet though, not in an open-and-go form in any case. I think Modern History Through Canadian Eyes is the closest I've seen.

I don't know if you remember talking to me before, but our girls are the same age. :)

I was sort of intending to do Canadian history alongside world history in grades 3 and 4, but can't really find anything that fits the image in my head. I also had a really poor history education in school and I KNOW it can be done better! I agree about having to buy a million books and piece things together, something that includes all the info would be ideal!

I remember.:001_smile: Last time I mentioned about a possible move to Toronto. Everything seems to be heading into that direction with everything finally falling into place. I am hoping sooner rather than later.

As I mentioned before, we started Cdn history at the end of SOTW 3, because that is where our history starts in the grand scheme of things.

It will take us 4 years to do a combo of sotw 4 and Cdn history, adding a lot to both programs. Last year we covered sotw 4 chapters 1-11, up to the Riel Rebellion in Cdn History and lots of Cdn geography to go along with when provinces became part of Canada. We also looked at the Cdn govt system, particularly the election process to go along with our federal election.

This year we are covering chapters 12-23 of sotw and up to WWI (from a Cdn point of view) in Cdn history. WWI is of course covered in sotw 4, and there is a lot of great stuff to be found and we are taking another month to look at it from various other viewpoints, with lots of primary sources and videos. We are covering some more Cdn government stuff (particularly the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms), political science and different Humanitarian organizations as well as the geography of AB and SK, since they become provinces during the period we are studying.

I know I have my plans from last year, very detailed for extras to go with sotw and Cdn. history. I'm not sure how detailed my plans from the end of sotw 3 are with respect to early Cdn history.

:iagree: That is why I am using Sonlight core 3 combined with Canadian history selections and SOTW 3 to teach history this year.

On that note, MHTCE does have an outline broken down by chapter of various resources incl SOTW to teach Canadian history, so that sort of program is not necessary. Also for those teaching in younger grades Donna Ward has many things out to teach Canadian history. That said what I see missing in the market place is a product that teaches North American history (so Canadian and US intertwined since so much happened to them at the same time stemming from the same thing, but on different paths kwim), alongside World History, for Logic Stage. I am working through do this as we go this year, and will continue next year as I do Core 4 with the same intertwining of material.

So specifically, having a book like SOTW along with an AG, that focused on history of North America, both Canada and US, with referance to World history that shows the events in Britian particularily and how those set the chain of events in Canada and the US in motion. I would want it geared for Logic Stage with ideas and materials listed in the AG to make it a Rhetoric course if desired. I think Donna Wards materials have enough for grammar stage to give the sampling of everything, so that market already exists. But in Logic stage I want to show how it is all connected. For example, when we get to the war of 1812 we will be looking at it from all sides, so the events in France and Britian leading up to it, how that affected Canada, and the US, reading accounts of the war from both the Canadian perspective and the American etc.

Having all of that already compiled instead of planning it out each week as we need it would be a huge benefit and I would definitely buy it.

Edited by swellmomma

Yes, SL is literature based, and is very open-and-go dead easy to use :).

FWIW it is just too hard for me organizationally to teach two history programs concurrently. It is WAY too difficult to line them up. I'd actually rather teach Canadian content entirely separately while dropping world history for that time period and just use a timeline to line up events instead of trying to combine two programs on my own. My brain would explode.

Very valid points, thanks for sharing! I haven't actually gotten to modern history yet, so I haven't experienced the potential US focus in world history.

In regards to the difficulty of teaching two history programs, I think that's why I might want the 'perfect' curriculum for logic stage, when my student could presumably work a lot more independently. I don't know that I'd stress too much about lining things up perfectly.

Doing just Canadian history for a while is good too! I know a lot of people take some time off from the history cycle to focus on American history, so we could certainly do the same. I really like the idea of getting through three full history cycles, though...but who knows how it'll all work out in the end! :)