Menu

Canadian mamas - about history

WarriorMama

As I mentioned before, we started Cdn history at the end of SOTW 3, because that is where our history starts in the grand scheme of things.

It will take us 4 years to do a combo of sotw 4 and Cdn history, adding a lot to both programs. Last year we covered sotw 4 chapters 1-11, up to the Riel Rebellion in Cdn History and lots of Cdn geography to go along with when provinces became part of Canada. We also looked at the Cdn govt system, particularly the election process to go along with our federal election.

This year we are covering chapters 12-23 of sotw and up to WWI (from a Cdn point of view) in Cdn history. WWI is of course covered in sotw 4, and there is a lot of great stuff to be found and we are taking another month to look at it from various other viewpoints, with lots of primary sources and videos. We are covering some more Cdn government stuff (particularly the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms), political science and different Humanitarian organizations as well as the geography of AB and SK, since they become provinces during the period we are studying.

I know I have my plans from last year, very detailed for extras to go with sotw and Cdn. history. I'm not sure how detailed my plans from the end of sotw 3 are with respect to early Cdn history.

Wow, sounds like you're doing an awesome job pulling things together! How old are your students?

:iagree: That is why I am using Sonlight core 3 combined with Canadian history selections and SOTW 3 to teach history this year.

On that note, MHTCE does have an outline broken down by chapter of various resources incl SOTW to teach Canadian history, so that sort of program is not necessary. Also for those teaching in younger grades Donna Ward has many things out to teach Canadian history. That said what I see missing in the market place is a product that teaches North American history (so Canadian and US intertwined since so much happened to them at the same time stemming from the same thing, but on different paths kwim), alongside World History, for Logic Stage. I am working through do this as we go this year, and will continue next year as I do Core 4 with the same intertwining of material.

So specifically, having a book like SOTW along with an AG, that focused on history of North America, both Canada and US, with referance to World history that shows the events in Britian particularily and how those set the chain of events in Canada and the US in motion. I would want it geared for Logic Stage with ideas and materials listed in the AG to make it a Rhetoric course if desired. I think Donna Wards materials have enough for grammar stage to give the sampling of everything, so that market already exists. But in Logic stage I want to show how it is all connected. For example, when we get to the war of 1812 we will be looking at it from all sides, so the events in France and Britian leading up to it, how that affected Canada, and the US, reading accounts of the war from both the Canadian perspective and the American etc.

Having all of that already compiled instead of planning it out each week as we need it would be a huge benefit and I would definitely buy it.

That sounds pretty great! Combining Canadian and American history would be an interesting approach. I agree that logic stage is where there's the biggest hole for this sort of product.

As I mentioned before, we started Cdn history at the end of SOTW 3, because that is where our history starts in the grand scheme of things.

It will take us 4 years to do a combo of sotw 4 and Cdn history, adding a lot to both programs. Last year we covered sotw 4 chapters 1-11, up to the Riel Rebellion in Cdn History and lots of Cdn geography to go along with when provinces became part of Canada. We also looked at the Cdn govt system, particularly the election process to go along with our federal election.

This year we are covering chapters 12-23 of sotw and up to WWI (from a Cdn point of view) in Cdn history. WWI is of course covered in sotw 4, and there is a lot of great stuff to be found and we are taking another month to look at it from various other viewpoints, with lots of primary sources and videos. We are covering some more Cdn government stuff (particularly the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms), political science and different Humanitarian organizations as well as the geography of AB and SK, since they become provinces during the period we are studying.

I know I have my plans from last year, very detailed for extras to go with sotw and Cdn. history. I'm not sure how detailed my plans from the end of sotw 3 are with respect to early Cdn history.

It sounds like you are doing an awesome job!

I wish that I could spend 4 years doing the fourth year of the history cycle, but my oldest is in 7th grade and we are doing Middle Ages, Reformation and Renaissance this year, and I really want to finish the history cycle by the end of her 9th grade. After that I am planning a quick run through Ancients all the way to the Renaissance in Grade 10 and then we will take Grade 11 and 12 to finish up the last two years of the cycle.

:iagree: That is why I am using Sonlight core 3 combined with Canadian history selections and SOTW 3 to teach history this year.

On that note, MHTCE does have an outline broken down by chapter of various resources incl SOTW to teach Canadian history, so that sort of program is not necessary. Also for those teaching in younger grades Donna Ward has many things out to teach Canadian history. That said what I see missing in the market place is a product that teaches North American history (so Canadian and US intertwined since so much happened to them at the same time stemming from the same thing, but on different paths kwim), alongside World History, for Logic Stage. I am working through do this as we go this year, and will continue next year as I do Core 4 with the same intertwining of material.

So specifically, having a book like SOTW along with an AG, that focused on history of North America, both Canada and US, with referance to World history that shows the events in Britian particularily and how those set the chain of events in Canada and the US in motion. I would want it geared for Logic Stage with ideas and materials listed in the AG to make it a Rhetoric course if desired. I think Donna Wards materials have enough for grammar stage to give the sampling of everything, so that market already exists. But in Logic stage I want to show how it is all connected. For example, when we get to the war of 1812 we will be looking at it from all sides, so the events in France and Britian leading up to it, how that affected Canada, and the US, reading accounts of the war from both the Canadian perspective and the American etc.

Having all of that already compiled instead of planning it out each week as we need it would be a huge benefit and I would definitely buy it.

:iagree:What you have laid out is something I would buy as well. I think there is a gap in the logic history market that needs to be filled, and a North American/World history that could be unbiased(if that is possible) would be fabulous!

Is anybody planning a Canadian literature list to go along with their history?

Yes, and I have many books on my shelves that I have been collecting from anthologies like the Oxford Book of Canadian Verse, the Oxford Anthology of Canadian Literature, and the Oxford Companion to Canadian Literature, to my almost complete set of Great Stories of Canada, a collection of authors like Burton and Lambert, as well as books like the standard Madeleine Takes Command and the Bully Boys.

Is anybody planning a Canadian literature list to go along with their history?

YUP! I can write out my whole lit list if you like this week and post by Friday. It won't be my whole history plan as I am still working through that, but I can certianly post my list. Because I am doing it while doing sonlight I am using a heavy lit portion so it will take me sometime to write it all out.

YUP! I can write out my whole lit list if you like this week and post by Friday. It won't be my whole history plan as I am still working through that, but I can certianly post my list. Because I am doing it while doing sonlight I am using a heavy lit portion so it will take me sometime to write it all out.

I would love to see what you are using, Brandy!

Yes, and I have many books on my shelves that I have been collecting from anthologies like the Oxford Book of Canadian Verse, the Oxford Anthology of Canadian Literature, and the Oxford Companion to Canadian Literature, to my almost complete set of Great Stories of Canada, a collection of authors like Burton and Lambert, as well as books like the standard Madeleine Takes Command and the Bully Boys.

Sounds like it's going to be a great list! I hope you'll share it with us down the road! :)

I would absolutely love to see your list if you can find the time to type it out!