Menu

2E resources?

I know that some of the frequent posters on this board have gifted children who are also working through some learning difficulties. Are there any online communities, websites, books, or other resources which address the needs of 2E kids and their families that you can recommend? It feels inappropriate to discuss some of ds's learning issues, which include the need to have very challenging materials, on the SN board, and it also seems like the Accelerated board is not quite the right fit either, given his multiple learning challenges. After spending the last two years trying to understand his learning deficits, i'm now realizing that I have to start to address the issues that go along with giftedness. I haven't a clue where to start. Thanks!

For Calvin, the key was to keep him moving forward intellectually whilst addressing his deficits separately. His problems were all to do with coordination, so he did much of his work orally until he was quite old, and used a keyboard from quite young.

Laura

I'm currently reading an excellent book through Amazon Vine called Bright but not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Autism by Rebecca Banks, Diane Kennedy, and Temple Grandin. It won't be published until next month, but if you're interested in requesting your library purchase a copy, the ISBN is 0470623322.

I remember reading once that when you have a gifted child, you have to throw out all the typical child development books; when you have an LD child, you have to throw out all the typical child development books; and when you have a 2E kid, you have to throw out ALL the books, because none of them will help you understand or deal with your child. And that's pretty much the case.

Like you, I bounce around the boards because there is no one category into which dd tidily fits.

Here are a few sites to explore:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/special_needs.htm

http://www.2enewsletter.com

There's a good amazon readers' list on 2e that I can't get back to at the moment, but I'll keep looking and post the link if I find it again.

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/2e-Reading-Guide-Parents-Kids/lm/R12TZX3DIYFS04

Edited by Guest

when you have a 2E kid, you have to throw out ALL the books, because none of them will help you understand or deal with your child. And that's pretty much the case.

:iagree:

GHF is very 2e friendly and they have a yahoo group.

http://giftedhomeschoolers.org/

Here's some comfort reading.

http://laughingatchaos.com/2011/07/18/what-i-wish-others-knew-about-parenting-twice-exceptional-kids/

:bigear:

Multiple therapists have suggested this for ds too. What is the next step? Do I want/need documentation? Between therapies and homeschool, I feel he is pretty well accommodated.

I completely agree about the not knowing where to post. Ds struggles so much with some things that it feels like I shouldn't post here, but there are many intellectual/challenge issues that I don't want to post on the SNs board and frequently it feels like I have no place where I can get the right info.

Edited by FairProspects

I do not have a 2e child, but I wanted to share this phrase I heard at the SENG conference regarding 2e: "If your head is in the oven and your feet are in the freezer does that make your middle just right?"

The speaker who said this used this phrase often when he talked with teachers and school districts. He said that the oven/freezer comment sometimes helped teachers understand better what the 2e child was dealing with, and was a useful description for parents to remember.

Thanks, everyone, for the links and support. My agenda for tonight's bout of insomnia is to check out all those resources. I did check out onaclairadeluna's "comfort reading." So good, it hurt. Particularly #6. :001_smile:

Glad you liked it. #6 used to be a big issue for my son. For him this is one issue that resolved itself with age. I used to have to prepare him for each and every transition but not anymore.

It was really hard to find a good class that worked for my son. The best thing for him at that age was theater. It was hard and stretched him emotionally but he has a strong memory and is a good actor so that got him around kids working as a group. It was not worry free mind you but it was a great experience for him. I also got him involved in music which was helpful for group experiences. At that age we would do something (like a play) and then take a break (like for a year). Breaks were very important (for both him and me).

I remember that feeling of always sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for disaster to strike. For us it has gotten way better. He still has some issues but I don't constantly fret over it.

I came to this sub-forum specifically looking for 2E advice, so I was especially glad to see this thread on the first page.

DD10 attended public kindy; at the end of the year, her K teacher felt that she should be accelerated by at least one grade level, but did not "believe" in acceleration, so ...I pulled dd and began homeschooling, beginning in first grade. Then I discovered that dd has dyslexia; the challenges she's had to work through have taken a toll on her self-esteem. Now, I strongly suspect that there's also an element of dyscalculia. I do not know what to do for math - conceptually, she has an excellent understanding of math, but the actual computation is a different story altogether.

I'll be checking out the sites linked above, but if anyone sees this and has some recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

I do not have a 2e child, but I wanted to share this phrase I heard at the SENG conference regarding 2e: "If your head is in the oven and your feet are in the freezer does that make your middle just right?"

Perfect! Someone on another thread asked what "2e" meant and I felt like posting: It means that schools don't have to provide either accommodations for the LDs or enrichment for the giftedness, because the two of them "cancel each other out," as a PS teacher once told me. :glare:

I loved this one:

While we joke that twice-exceptional means “exceptionally gifted AND an exceptional pain in the @ss,†that doesn’t mean anyone else can say that. Live the life before those words escape your lips.

:lol:

Jackie