Menu

TrueBlue's thread made me wonder...

With you Nakia!

I remember during the election NPR was asking for phone calls.. they wanted hear from young voters.

My husband was grabbing the phone when I gently reminded him that at 40 he might not be in the target group anymore!

Self-identification is a tricky thing! :D

That reminds me of a conversation I had with dh, in which he identified us both as "right-wing Republicans."

I stared at him a minute and said, "Speak for yourself. I'm a centrist. And I've told you a hundred times I'm a Libertarian."

He looked a little crestfallen. :D

I'm lost as well. I thin for instance that gay people should have the right to have the state marry them and churches should have the right NOT to marry them and that gay couples had better darn well get married and form a "traditional" family unit before having kids...I have no idea where that kind of thinking puts me.

I'm starting to think liberal and conservative have mostly lost their meanings and are mainly used as an excuse to stop people from talking to each other and/or considering the opinions of others.

I don't think I would have ever described myself as conservative until yesterday. I was reading the dress code for the enrichment school for my dd. Skirts have to be no shorter than 3 inches above the knee and no longer than the top of the knee. I was aghast. The dress code states they are trying to promote the appearance of neatness and modesty. I was then shocked with my own reaction, but above the knee to 3 inches above the knee isn't where I draw the line and call it modest.. Apparently I'm more conservative than I thought I was. When did this happen to me?

I blame you guys. :D

Edited by Karen in CO

I don't think I would have ever described myself as conservative until yesterday. I was reading the dress code for the enrichment school for my dd. Skirts have to be no shorter than 3 inches above the knee and no longer than the top of the knee. I was aghast. The dress code states they are trying to promote the appearance of neatness and modesty. I was then shocked with my own reaction, but above the knee to 3 inches above the knee isn't where I draw the line and call it modest.. Apparently I'm more conservative than I thought I was. When did this happen to me?

Interestingly enough that was the rule (3" above the knee to the knee) when my nearly 70 year old mother went to school. And they could not wear trousers, even in the winter, even in literally 5 feet of snow. By the time they were in high school though, the girls were hiking their skirts up and there was a dedicated staff member to measure hem heights. As someone who lives (and has always lived) in trousers and jeans, I cannot imagine.

Now that you mention it...several years ago when I was trying to decide whether to put my DD in an enrichment academy, the deciding factor for me was the dress code. I just couldn't get over the skirts-only requirement and figured it was an indication that the organizers were much more conservative than I would be comfortable with.