Menu

s/o Christians: first 4 scriptures?

What are the first 4 scriptures that you teach your children, or if you had to pick 4 to read to them, what would they be? (1-3 verses together counts as one scripture) I read an article that had 4 listed and left out some that I would have picked so I am curious. I will tell you about the article after I get your answers. :)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever should believe on him would not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman who need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

That last one is because we do Awanas (Approved Workers Are Not Ashamed) :lol:

I forgot the fourth one...

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Gen 1:1 (in Luke's case)

In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. John 1:1 (for the older two, we started scripture memorization after starting to hs)

Edited by lionfamily1999

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever should believe on him would not perish, but have everlasting life.

Acts 8:27 I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

John 1:1-4 (we know a tune with this) In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him and without Him nothing was made, that was made. In Him was life and the life was the Light of men.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

All Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17

Lisaj, mom to 5 (AWANA!)

I think we started with the birth of Jesus for scripture reading... either that or the creation story. After those two I'm not really sure. Noah's ark, Jonah & the big fish, David & Goliath... stories of God's provision, love, protection, justness, etc. All the previous would be high on the list but I can't really put them into an exact order, iykwim.

ETA: I'm talking about the VERY first stories... like when they are 2 yrs old and younger, not for scripture memorization or actual Bible study for older children.

Edited by bairnmama
clarification

Of course John 3:16, but I also like Proverbs 27:11, Be wise my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me.

When I was a kid, it really helped me remember that my choices could bring joy either to God or to Satan. It gave me a visual in my mind of God and Satan both watching me when I was being tempted by something.

What are the first 4 scriptures that you teach your children, or if you had to pick 4 to read to them, what would they be? (1-3 verses together counts as one scripture) I read an article that had 4 listed and left out some that I would have picked so I am curious. I will tell you about the article after I get your answers. :)

I don't set out to teach particular verses but the ones that come up most often when my children are young are:

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

Children obey your parents in the Lord.

Love does not boast.

Love is kind.

For memorization, I don't really have set verses or passages that we memorize in any order...just whatever I feel is important to us as a family at that time.

Passages that I want my children to learn at some point would be:

Psalm Chapter 1

Psalm Chapter 24

Hebrews Chapter 11

the Sermon on the Mount

Those are the ones that came to my mind right off. There are many others.

We like to memorize chapters or sections rather than verses. Right now we are working on the book of James.

I don't set out to teach particular verses but the ones that come up most often when my children are young are:

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

Children obey your parents in the Lord.

Love does not boast.

Love is kind.

I like the choice of these 4 verses. Very appropriate to family life. :D

I was asking the Duck :lol: I answered underneath, but should have quoted :lol:

Sure I have. But there is no real "first four". I think if there have been things I've worked the most with the older ones while they were young, it was:

The Lord's Prayer

The Beatitudes

Micah 6:8

Genesis 1:1 and 2

Far as entire stories in the Bible:

Genesis and Garden of Eden

Nativity and Crucifixion

Joseph, Moses, and David

Yes, that's more than four, but I can't say which four...I just know these are main ones. Esther would be next.

Edited by mommaduck

It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Hebrews 10:31 NIV)

;)

Seriously, I don't remember the first four I taught them-- but if I had to choose just four:

I John 4.7-8: Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

I Corinthians 13.4-7: Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Romans 8.38-39: For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Philippians 2.1-4: Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

There aren't any "first four". They hear it all their lives from pregnancy on. We have family devotions. They hear our conversations. They hear it at church. Etc. Negates the whole "first four".

This is what I was thinking. My kids do learn verses but there hasn't been an order in which we do them.

Sure I have. But there is no real "first four". I think if there have been things I've worked the most with the older ones while they were young, it was:

The Lord's Prayer

The Beatitudes

Micah 6:8

Genesis 1:1 and 2

Far as entire stories in the Bible:

Genesis and Garden of Eden

Nativity and Crucifixion

Joseph, Moses, and David

Yes, that's more than four, but I can't say which four...I just know these are main ones. Esther would be next.

Okay, I wasn't sure. It sounded like you worked on general knowledge and didn't memorize verses in particular.

------------------

What's sort of funny is that I thought it was SOP for Christians to learn the first two verses I listed at the start. :lol: The hive is always opening my eyes.

1) John 17:3 (NWT)

2) Ps 83:18 (KJV) - Oh, the preschoolers I have now did Isaiah 42:8a first, but know Ps 83:18. I think I'd probably teach every child to know what we learn from Ps 83:18 (KJV), but have them SAY Isaiah 42:8a.

3) Model Prayer (Lord's Prayer) (KJV)

4) Ps 37:29 (though dd did 10,11)

Goodness, it's hard to narrow it down to 4!

Prov 27:11

Matthew 5:3,

2 Tim 3: 16, 17

John 3:16,17

Ecc 9:5, 10

Hebrews 10:24,25

John 5:28

Rev 4:11

Isaiah 55: 10, 11

And then there is "what is it about" type things. So though they may not memorize it all, they'd know where to find the Sermon on the Mount and the gist of it. Along with that is Prov 2:1-5, Creation acct, and various Bible accts (Joseph, Noah, Jonah, Solomon, and of course Jesus' teachings and works), Fruitage of the Spirit, what other religions call the Beattitudes, Eph 6:1-4, "whatever things are...," "Love is...", Commission to preach/teach, Sign of the end times (in gospels and 2 Tim 3), etc, etc, etc...

Seriously, I have found it VERY difficult starting over with littles because I find so much soooo important that I'm unable to just pick a few things. I want to teach them everything yesterday.

What I have done is to reference such things regularly, quoting scripture, etc. It is really just part of our lives. They'll pick up on them as we go. Though I do want to be more systematic also.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Okay, I wasn't sure. It sounded like you worked on general knowledge and didn't memorize verses in particular.

------------------

What's sort of funny is that I thought it was SOP for Christians to learn the first two verses I listed at the start. :lol: The hive is always opening my eyes.

We used to memorise particular verses. Not so much anymore, because their lives are filled with Scriptures. They read, they see, they hear. They memorise Scriptures that are used in services, etc.

We used to memorise particular verses. Not so much anymore, because their lives are filled with Scriptures. They read, they see, they hear. They memorise Scriptures that are used in services, etc.

Except for the two I mentioned and the "In the beginning" verses, the kids do memorize more because of lessons than just memorizing because Mom says so :lol: So, between Awanas, Sunday School, and a few of their classes they memorize plenty. I have my personal key verses, that I thought were pretty well universal, the rest just sort of happens.

i didn't start with scripture. i started with the 10 commandments, then the books of the bible, and then scripture memorization (john 3:16 was probably one of the first). the past few weeks they've memorized isaiah 40:31. honestly, it just depends on what they're studying in sunday school, as we base our scripture memorization around that. we also stay on one scripture for a few weeks, so that it really sinks in and resonates with them. hth.

Except for the two I mentioned and the "In the beginning" verses, the kids do memorize more because of lessons than just memorizing because Mom says so :lol: So, between Awanas, Sunday School, and a few of their classes they memorize plenty. I have my personal key verses, that I thought were pretty well universal, the rest just sort of happens.

Yep, it's very organic in nature.

1) John 17:3 (NWT)

2) Ps 83:18 (KJV) - Oh, the preschoolers I have now did Isaiah 42:8a first, but know Ps 83:18. I think I'd probably teach every child to know what we learn from Ps 83:18 (KJV), but have them SAY Isaiah 42:8a.

3) Model Prayer (Lord's Prayer) (KJV)

4) Ps 37:29 (though dd did 10,11)

Goodness, it's hard to narrow it down to 4!

Seriously, I have found it VERY difficult starting over with littles because I find so much soooo important that I'm unable to just pick a few things. I want to teach them everything yesterday.

Yes, it is hard to narrow it down. John 17:3 was one of the first that I memorized.

Of course John 3:16, but I also like Proverbs 27:11, Be wise my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me.

When I was a kid, it really helped me remember that my choices could bring joy either to God or to Satan. It gave me a visual in my mind of God and Satan both watching me when I was being tempted by something.

That was one of the scriptures that I always thought about as a child too, and I really didn't want to make Satan happy.

Right now, for DD, I am concentrating on scriptures like these: 1 John 5:11,12 "God has given us eternal life and this life is in His Son. Whoever has God's Son has life." 1 Thessalonians 1:10 "Jesus who saves us from the wrath to come." and 1 John 4:18 "there is no fear in love" because we have no reason to fear the coming day of judgment... and we have family members constantly telling us otherwise. I keep telling them that is not the God I know, and they need to stop emphasizing the wrong things. (John 17:3) This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

It just seems to me that it is easier for a child to understand God's love from this: "Let the little children come to me and do not stop them!"

There are lots and lots of scriptures that point to the fact that true believers don't have anything to worry about. There are scriptures that outline how challenging and scary (and even gross!) that time can be; but it is clear that God's people will be able to celebrate because of God's sovereignty. And then we can get to work enjoying forever :)

There are lots and lots of scriptures that point to the fact that true believers don't have anything to worry about. There are scriptures that outline how challenging and scary (and even gross!) that time can be; but it is clear that God's people will be able to celebrate because of God's sovereignty. And then we can get to work enjoying forever :)
:001_wub: Yes. We must listen to God instead of these family members!

I love your blog, btw.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Still don't know what you are asking: what did you have them memorize first or what stories do you read to them first?

When my first two were little, they had 4 basic scriptures that we recited every day, plus whatever verse or passage they were memorizing at the time. They started this around age 2.

Deuteronomy 6:5 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.

Philippians 2:14 Do all things without murmuring and disputing

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

These also double as family/school rules, since nearly everything falls under one of these. I have added Colossians 3:22-23 (Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord, rather than for men) for my younger two.

As for stories, I start with The Toddler's Bible when they are babies, and read a story or two every day (going straight through from the beginning to the end). I move to a more difficult Bible story book when they are 3 or so, and from there to reading all age appropriate stories in order from the Bible starting around age 5 or 6, whenever they are ready. I use Bible passages that are not stories for memory work (in addition to the four above), and then start adding non-story passages to our daily Bible reading somewhere between 9-12.

When my first two were little, they had 4 basic scriptures that we recited every day, plus whatever verse or passage they were memorizing at the time. They started this around age 2.

Deuteronomy 6:5 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.

Philippians 2:14 Do all things without murmuring and disputing

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

These also double as family/school rules, since nearly everything falls under one of these. I have added Colossians 3:22-23 (Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord, rather than for men) for my younger two.

Oh those are very good for character! Right now we have been lacking in our Bible study, so getting to know God is priority and character will come later.

Lamentations 3:22

The Lord loves us very much...His loving concern never fails.

Matthew 11:28-30

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

We can deal with the details of doctrine later. First and foremost I want them to understand what God is really like.

Lamentations 3:22

The Lord loves us very much...His loving concern never fails.

Matthew 11:28-30

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.â€

We can deal with the details of doctrine later. First and foremost I want them to understand what God is really like.

THIS! Exactly! If this is not the God that someone is teaching then stay away!

Did you know literally "take my yoke upon you" Should be translated "get under my yoke with me"?

FF_AngelHugs_mc.gif