Menu

Fending Off Mom?

This is going to sound odd, but...

My parents are due to arrive in my city tomorrow.

My mom made a comment about looking forward to rubbing my belly, etc.

*shudder*

First off, she's never been touchy feely with me. Ever. She never did the belly rub thing when I was expecting Diva.

Second, I've become a lot more jumpy about my personal space since developing RSD. A simple brushing up against my arm = increasing pain for hours.

I tolerate the kids swarming me to feel baby move. The idea of my mother groping my belly makes me want to run screaming into the streets. Heck, I barely manage the hello and goodbye hug without flinching...the announcement that she intends to paw my belly really doesn't make me happy. At all.

We don't have a typical relationship. Generally, its very strained. I honestly believe that she, like my MIL, is NPD. There is absolutely nothing in my life, in my sibling's lives, that somehow isn't about her. She even stated that it was b/c of her that I didn't end up with a csection w/Diva. And is dead serious. There are a million and three reasons why I've come to the NPD conclusion, that's just one very small example. So, expecting her to realize that I'm uncomfortable and being considerate of that just isn't going to happen.

So, any ideas on how to preserve my personal space without coming across as a raving ____?

I have a new baby niece. While my sister in law was pregnant, I touched her belly before I even realized what I was doing.

I felt SO silly afterwards. I kept apologizing. SIL just laughed.

But really, I don't know why I did it, except that I was so happy for her, and we can't have anymore, and I just love babies. But that's no excuse. SIL and I are friendly and all, but stomachs are still personal space. :D

I even *knew* better, because I had people do that do me when I was pregnant, and I HATED it.

So, all that to say, sometimes it happens and the person who did it really just had a momentary lapse of manners. However, if your mother's PLANNING AHEAD to do it, well then, you may just have to be blunt and tell her you don't like it.

I have a new baby niece. While my sister in law was pregnant, I touched her belly before I even realized what I was doing.

I felt SO silly afterwards. I kept apologizing. SIL just laughed.

But really, I don't know why I did it, except that I was so happy for her, and we can't have anymore, and I just love babies. But that's no excuse. SIL and I are friendly and all, but stomachs are still personal space. :D

I even *knew* better, because I had people do that do me when I was pregnant, and I HATED it.

So, all that to say, sometimes it happens and the person who did it really just had a momentary lapse of manners. However, if your mother's PLANNING AHEAD to do it, well then, you may just have to be blunt and tell her you don't like it.

T/J....not all women hate being touched when they are pregnant. So maybe your SIL didn't mind at all.

Thanks for the giggles!

I know personal history has a big impact on this issue.

Her *announcing* that she'll be doing this is a problem as well.

SpecialMama is a very near and dear friend. Other than Wolf and the kids, she's honestly the one person I can think of that can be in my personal space without me flinching. That being said, I don't think it would even *occur* to her to even ask to touch my belly.

There's a huge trust issue. I know SpecialMama is care-full with me, aware of RSD, and comes from the perspective of what does the other person need? My mother can't even begin to fathom that other ppl have any needs at all. Its always about what she wants.

I also have an NPD mom (and dad).

For your own sake, I would make up a fake excuse in the beginning of the trip that you don't like anyone touching your stomach. That way, she won't take it personally.

You might even add, "This pregnancy has made me weird." (They love to think it's about you and not about them, right?)

I'll be honest, I don't even bother going through the flinching thing when I hug goodbye/hello. I don't do it anymore. A couple of years ago I just thought why keep up the pretenses? This is silly. The kids hug/kiss them and love them.

For now.

Alley

So, any ideas on how to preserve my personal space without coming across as a raving ____?

:grouphug: How about a chain mail top with outward facing barbed spikes? that'll give her something to 'grab onto'.

other than staying out of her reach, or handing things to her to keep both hands busy . . . . no ideas.

Thanks for asking, we just got back.

The initial communication yesterday was just a phone call. I was far too wiped and hurting to get together.

Today went ok. Unfortunately, neither of my parents is used to me being disabled, and by that I mean they hug me full on, and pat my shoulder without thinking. Owie. I've gotten better about not howling when ppl do that, smile with gritted teeth, simply b/c I find it embarrassing to react otherwise. Its not their fault, kwim? And I hate making ppl feel guilty or bad when they're trying to just be nice. Generally I just position myself so it doesn't happen for the most part, angle my body so that its not easily accessed.

They're coming back for a bbq, and Mom wants to take Diva and I to the movies. I don't know if there's really anything worth seeing right now, but we'll see.

Today went ok. Unfortunately, neither of my parents is used to me being disabled, and by that I mean they hug me full on, and pat my shoulder without thinking. Owie. I've gotten better about not howling when ppl do that, smile with gritted teeth, simply b/c I find it embarrassing to react otherwise. Its not their fault, kwim? And I hate making ppl feel guilty or bad when they're trying to just be nice. Generally I just position myself so it doesn't happen for the most part, angle my body so that its not easily accessed.

I'm sorry.. you'd think they'd remember that about their dd.

I think I might do the banshee howl a few times.. just to make the point.. ;)

I'm sorry.. you'd think they'd remember that about their dd.

I think I might do the banshee howl a few times.. just to make the point.. ;)

They don't see me but a few days a year. Its not their 'norm', me being disabled, if that makes any sense. At least they don't deliberately yank the carp out of me.

Couldn't Wolf whittle you a pointy stick? Anytime the parents got too close...Poke!

I'm sure they'd get the...er...Point.

:lol: