Menu

Task cards

AngelBee

I really still do not "get" the excitement over these cards. First, how do you know your kid(s) actually did "Encyclopedia Research: The Constitution of the United States"? I mean, do you follow them around, look over their shoulders, etc to make sure they are actually following the steps and reading everything on the topic? (Obviously you'll know if they've done the written work or not.) Or are these cards for those kids who are super-motivated to learn everything about every topic? My DD would just skim the encyclopedia entry (if she even pulled it out to begin with) and say she did it, especially if she didn't like the topic.

As to the planning, you still have to look over every card and get all the necessary books and supplies and printed materials and such in place, which to me is still planning (for the record, I actually like planning so this part isn't a problem).

I also don't see how these cards can work for younger kids independently. My DD is pretty advanced for her age (9, 4th grade) but I don't think she really knows how to look everything up in which books and how to sort out the important information. And there is no way my DS (8 and 3rd grade) could do this. He is reading on grade level now but I don't think he could manage any of this on his own. These seem like they would be more teacher-intensive, not less. At least for the elementary age group.

Am I missing something here? I really want to like these. :-(

Pinch poke you owe me a coke!

What cards did you decide to use?

I picked the Physics set, but after I take a look at it, I may order another. I think the Physics will be great for my older ds. However, for my younger ds, I thought the earth science would be good. I really would rather not have two different science programs going, because I think I will be needed for both, certainly for my younger ds. I don't know. I may do both or half and half or....I don't know. I also don't want to overdo the task card approach, but I am interested in the geography set. I held off on the second two, because I do have a tendency to get carried away when I am excited about something.:)

I really still do not "get" the excitement over these cards. First, how do you know your kid(s) actually did "Encyclopedia Research: The Constitution of the United States"? I mean, do you follow them around, look over their shoulders, etc to make sure they are actually following the steps and reading everything on the topic? (Obviously you'll know if they've done the written work or not.) Or are these cards for those kids who are super-motivated to learn everything about every topic? My DD would just skim the encyclopedia entry (if she even pulled it out to begin with) and say she did it, especially if she didn't like the topic.

As to the planning, you still have to look over every card and get all the necessary books and supplies and printed materials and such in place, which to me is still planning (for the record, I actually like planning so this part isn't a problem).

I also don't see how these cards can work for younger kids independently. My DD is pretty advanced for her age (9, 4th grade) but I don't think she really knows how to look everything up in which books and how to sort out the important information. And there is no way my DS (8 and 3rd grade) could do this. He is reading on grade level now but I don't think he could manage any of this on his own. These seem like they would be more teacher-intensive, not less. At least for the elementary age group.

Am I missing something here? I really want to like these. :-(

I'm hoping someone more articulate will jump in here and explain, but I will try. I think one of the things I like most about it is the simplicity of using them. My older ds would be overwhelmed if I handed him a guide, turned to a page and said here is the list of assignments for the week. I know it *seems* like the same thing, but for him, not. A card is contained, not overwhelming. It doesn't have a huge list on it. I have been planning to try to guide him toward working more independently this year. There are two things that need to change and I think these cards are along those lines.

1) We need some curriculum that is less teacher intensive.

2) Dc need a way to be able to easily access their assignments and materials.

*I* have been having a hard time figuring out how to transition out of teacher intensive materials. Although we use a CM approach, it shouldn't depend on me so much to make it all happen. I have often felt like many days I need to be either a cheerleader or tough taskmaster. The bulk of my older ds independent work last year were the things he liked the least. This year I had decided to shift somewhat towards more workbooks to achieve this. Neither was satisfactory. I believe the cards will help us move in this direction.

As to your first question---I don't know.

And about the youngers---I assume I will be helping my younger ds quite a bit.

:)

I'm hoping someone more articulate will jump in here and explain, but I will try. I think one of the things I like most about it is the simplicity of using them. My older ds would be overwhelmed if I handed him a guide, turned to a page and said here is the list of assignments for the week. I know it *seems* like the same thing, but for him, not. A card is contained, not overwhelming.

:)

My DC don't have this issue. They each have a planner in which I write down the week's assignments in every subject. Much of their work is independent and if they need help or if something is listed as "with Mom" they come and get me when they're ready to do it.

The cards look kind of "project based" to me and I like that idea. I like the idea of having the kids do the research, read up on a topic, in order to be able to do the assignments. But to me the information on the cards looks to be very broad. I think my kids would be overwhelmed not knowing exactly what they were supposed to be doing ("write about the Constitution" is a whole lot more overwhelming than "read this page about the Constitution and answer these questions").

I really feel like there is some angle I'm not seeing here.

I don't know if I'll do well articulating my thoughts here but I'll try.

First, I don't want my kids to "read about the constitution and answer these questions." Sure I can check a box that it's done but it's not the kind of education I want for them with things like the constitution. That said, the reason I think they're slightly open-ended is so you can apply your preferred method of dealing with information. Being a very TWTM style mom my olders outline and then rewrite from the "research such and such". Youngers either do written narration or oral narration. I WANT them to learn HOW to read books and process information about them. So depending on age, that's oral narration, written narration, outlining then rewriting reports. Due to working TWTM methods with her since she was younger my just turned 10yo 4th grader is more than capable of reading about a topic and doing a written narration on a topic. My 11yo more than capable of outlining and rewriting a report on each topic. My 7yo does oral narrations with me.

My children are not "motivated to learn" to be honest but they do like to read and will do their work. But if you're doing oral or written narrations about a topic from a child's encyclopedia, atlas, etc. you'll know she's done it.

The angle is that for ME it's a perfect framework for doing TWTM style subjects. It's what I would do if I designed it myself. The way I always saw TWTM working with youngers is it would be a list of progressive topics on a subject, where we would have a basic encyclopedia style spine, living books to read, would read them and do narrations/outlining with reports, would do definitions, memory work, things like that, with simple activities to reinforce the topics, ALL done in a way that encouraged self-direction and exploration. The task cards are just already done for me!

Edited by frankcassiesmom

so will you use these for multiple subjects for each child at the same time? I LOVE the idea of helping my oldest become more independent, but I worry that he can't really learn chemistry this way?

I don't think any curriculum/aid should be used as a stand-alone. We're using the history cards starting in Jan for Medieval history but it's my job to know what he's studying and incorporate discussions and field trips that center on that time. If I were using them with Chemistry I'd incorporate at least 2 labs a week that were done with me so that he could get the benefit of having a teacher, too.

I received my cards on Sunday. I like them even more than I thought I would!

Looking forward to a library trip with my kids so we can get started with our cards. Yay!

Just wanted to add that I plan on lots of hand-holding during the first few weeks of this and figure my 2nd grader will need me most of the year.

Edited by Mothersweets

My DC don't have this issue. They each have a planner in which I write down the week's assignments in every subject. Much of their work is independent and if they need help or if something is listed as "with Mom" they come and get me when they're ready to do it.

The cards look kind of "project based" to me and I like that idea. I like the idea of having the kids do the research, read up on a topic, in order to be able to do the assignments. But to me the information on the cards looks to be very broad. I think my kids would be overwhelmed not knowing exactly what they were supposed to be doing ("write about the Constitution" is a whole lot more overwhelming than "read this page about the Constitution and answer these questions").

I really feel like there is some angle I'm not seeing here.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to answer this here or not. I've read and re-read the no advertisements section and don't want to cross that line in any way. Kim explained it fairly well and nothing is for everyone. :001_smile:

Since you're interested, I suspect the angle you may be missing is the reliance on CM style narration for the research tasks. Basically, the students summarize what *they* read and learned from their reading. Obviously, that would be very basic with a young students who are given the option of oral narrations. The expectation is that the level of detail in written summaries would grow with the students. Also, they are doing their research in age appropriate materials so the level of depth in the material grows with them. The other aspect is the placement of key content throughout the cards. I've been known to put an interesting historical figure in a time line task to provide another springboard.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to answer this here or not. I've read and re-read the no advertisements section and don't want to cross that line in any way. Kim explained it fairly well and nothing is for everyone. :001_smile:

Since you're interested, I suspect the angle you may be missing is the reliance on CM style narration for the research tasks. Basically, the students summarize what *they* read and learned from their reading. Obviously, that would be very basic with a young students who are given the option of oral narrations. The expectation is that the level of detail in written summaries would grow with the students. Also, they are doing their research in age appropriate materials so the level of depth in the material grows with them. The other aspect is the placement of key content throughout the cards. I've been known to put an interesting historical figure in a time line task to provide another springboard.

This explains some of my confusion. I'm not terribly familiar with CM. Although, I think my kids would stage a rebellion if I made them write that much. DD could but doesn't like to. DS can't yet, although he can narrate all day long (and often does! hehehe).

I ordered Music and Great Composers task cards earlier in the week and got them by Friday.

Not really what I expected at all. They were 10 times better :D! The teacher's guide is very informative and explains thing really well. I really didn't get the task card thing until now.

I am so excited to have my older start taking ownership of some of his school work. This is an excellent way to start that process. I also like that he can learn to follow his own rabbit trails.

I am about to scrap my American History and order more task cards!

I ordered Music and Great Composers task cards earlier in the week and got them by Friday.

Not really what I expected at all. They were 10 times better :D! The teacher's guide is very informative and explains thing really well. I really didn't get the task card thing until now.

I am so excited to have my older start taking ownership of some of his school work. This is an excellent way to start that process. I also like that he can learn to follow his own rabbit trails.

I am about to scrap my American History and order more task cards!

:iagree: with just about everything she said. :D Ordered mine Monday and got them on Thursday. They are better than expected. And yes, I am thinking of scrapping one or two other things and filling in with CEP task cards. Oh wait a minute, I just reread that you ARE scrapping your Am. history and ordering more cards. I'm still mulling it over. I think it will work well with the geography I already spent hours planning. We are also doing ancient history, but I don't want to overdo the task card thing and then have it lose it's appeal.

Those music and composers cards are killing me! I had no idea they were THREE years worth! My 6th grader could do them all the way until high school. Sigh. Time to tell hubby that I need another $25 for school LOL.

You had to post this?! So, I went over there and noticed that the artists set is ready. That is killing me. We really are covered for artist and picture study. However, I can see where this adds a whole new dimension to it..........And you say just $25 more? Now, you see, for me I'm thinking about some other sets. Not to mention getting some resources to use with them. Sigh....however, knowing that it is three years (or more, imo) definitely helps justify the purchase.

I'm posting here, because the Yahoo group is pretty slow.

any thoughts on the differences between "core books", "spine books", and "reference books" as written about in the teacher's guide?

Not yet. :)

Trying to think through it myself. Some seem interchangeable.

Ok, so for those of you that use TOG... how do you plan on implementing the cards? Will you just line up the card topic with said week... and then use what resources and books you have? Do you think this would allow the 'folding in', if you will, of more books, rabbit trails and ideas into the said week's menu of resources???

So you use the TOG primary resource and lit choice... but then add in the extra components you may have ie. a DK Eyewitness book on Medieval Times, or Story of the Ancient World... etc....

Aaaarrrggghhh my brain....... I can see the possibilities... :lol:

But still not sure the two would mess together well....... Thoughts???

Ok, so for those of you that use TOG... how do you plan on implementing the cards? Will you just line up the card topic with said week... and then use what resources and books you have? Do you think this would allow the 'folding in', if you will, of more books, rabbit trails and ideas into the said week's menu of resources???

So you use the TOG primary resource and lit choice... but then add in the extra components you may have ie. a DK Eyewitness book on Medieval Times, or Story of the Ancient World... etc....

Aaaarrrggghhh my brain....... I can see the possibilities... :lol:

But still not sure the two would mess together well....... Thoughts???

I am planning to use it w TOG. :) Still ironing out the details. Will repost once I am on a computer. :)

TOG in 3 years? WOW! Are you combining weeks or just going year round? DO you have a schedule you could share?

We were 'slated' to begin Year Two this year... however last Jan/Feb. some life stuff took over, and as a resut history was hit or miss... and now we still have some of Year One to finish. While DS is already familiar with the time line and events I could just start Year Two, but don't really want to just ditch the books we haven't read, nor the great connections to be made... I had thought about using the lit as bedtime reading and trying to double up history portions during the days, and lit at night... but am not sure. I have also been very struck with the depth vs breadth frame of mind as well as wanting to focus on skills and building them verses slamming in tons of content....

Aaahhh... the joys and trials of homeschooling... :lol:

This explains some of my confusion. I'm not terribly familiar with CM. Although, I think my kids would stage a rebellion if I made them write that much. DD could but doesn't like to. DS can't yet, although he can narrate all day long (and often does! hehehe).

What if you gave them a tape/voice recorder to narrate into? Then you have it recorded and don't really need to write it down unless you really want to.

OK, this is new to me and I haven't familiarized myself enough with CM either. So I don't know if this idea will fit with the task cards approach, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MontessoriMo

I am so very happy with the correlation between the History Task Cards and the Story of the World!

I only wish we had the cards last year when we started using Story of the World. But not to worry, we will go back and revisit as the interests of my children prevail!

I am Montessori Trained and just don't have time to make up task cards, along with all of the other materials I create for my 9 and 7 year old children. I can absolutely see these cards "growing," with us through the years, throughout Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary and even Adolescence as they are great starting points for further research and discovery, as well as inspiration for other areas that the children may think of.

• 3 weeks later...

We are happily using the Geography cards for my 8 year old. She is very much able to do these with a little guidance from me. I'm shuffling through them to loosely correlate with our US History studies. She doesn't finish a whole card in a week, but we'll get back to them as we go through the year.

The geography cards are a HUGE hit with my girls. My oldest and youngest look forward to them; my middle dd does them without complaint. I think they're learning a lot, not just content, but how to go about finding informaton. I love that my dd's can work independently on them, and I will probably order more cards in the future if they continue to work for us.

I'm excited about these cards too! Although I'm set, curriculum-wise, for this year, I'll definitely be buying the Geography and Culture and Science cards next year. Ds will be moving into 4th grade, and doing more independent work as I teach his sister K. An idea I have brewing is to buy the whole Science package and using these with BFSU 3-5.. Use BFSU as a starting off point and discussion, and/or to clarify points, living books, Enchanted Learning, Happy Scientist and BBC online videos to expand the learning. A Delta Science in a Nutshell kit or two thrown in for good measure.

Sagira, I plan on using the Geography and Cultures set next year when my DS is in 4th grade.

Des, you are using Adventures this year right? Do you plan to use these task cards with ECC next year or alone? How are you liking Adventures? I went with CTG for my 7th grader. We just started MFW on Monday, but I think it's going to be great. I'm thinking of doing Adventures next year when my younger dd will be in 2nd, and I'll use RTR for my then 8th grader if MFW goes well this year. I've always liked the looks of the Task Cards so I'm curious how you plan to use them. Thanks!

Des, you are using Adventures this year right? Do you plan to use these task cards with ECC next year or alone? How are you liking Adventures? I went with CTG for my 7th grader. We just started MFW on Monday, but I think it's going to be great. I'm thinking of doing Adventures next year when my younger dd will be in 2nd, and I'll use RTR for my then 8th grader if MFW goes well this year. I've always liked the looks of the Task Cards so I'm curious how you plan to use them. Thanks!

Yes!!! We're using Adventures this year and loving it, right down to PLL. If I can't get ECC next year, i'll use the task cards alone and use the MFW books with them. But, if i'm able to afford ECC, i'm thinking i'll try and use the two together to help foster a little more independence in DS, since the task cards can be used with other curriculum.:)

Yes!!! We're using Adventures this year and loving it, right down to PLL. If I can't get ECC next year, i'll use the task cards alone and use the MFW books with them. But, if i'm able to afford ECC, i'm thinking i'll try and use the two together to help foster a little more independence in DS, since the task cards can be used with other curriculum.:)

Thanks Des,

Glad to hear Adventures is going so well for you. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
How is everyone doing with these? I am considering ordering the American History, Geography and perhaps the science sets for 5-8....but not sure the science sets are really geared towards older grades.

Bumping for responses!

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone had used the science with older kiddos. If so how many source books did you need? When you click on her book links there are alot recommended. Are you to just chose through them?