Menu

For those of you who have asked about my sons' wilderness canoe trips...

As many of you know, my boys have all attended a wilderness canoe trip camp in Canada for many years. Now I have something to show those of you who have asked about it!

Here is a video (approx 4 min) shot last year. This was a 350+ mile trip from northern Quebec into and through Labrador (most of their time was spent in Labrador). There were 2 staff and 12 young men (ages 15-16). My son is the one in the blue and black checked wool jacket.

The group took a van and then a train to get to their starting point. Once they put the canoes into the water they were on their own. The only other person they saw the entire 6 weeks was the float plane pilot who resupplied them approximately halfway through their trip.

This year I have 3 sons up there; one in northwestern Ontario, one on the Rupert River (mostly Quebec, I believe), and one paddling 500+ miles to Hudson Bay (he's the one in the video...most of those young men are on the same trip with him).

Those of you who have asked, I hope you enjoy this. The scenery is just breathtaking.

It's a whole 'nuther world up there...

Only 1.5 weeks left until my boys paddle back to base camp, and I'll be there!

I just made the mistake of watching that with my 9yr old twin dss. Is this just for Canadians or can those of us in the lower 48 participate? :D We watched the other camp videos as well!

We live in PA. Most kids who attend live in the US, but some come from as far away as London, Spain, and France. :)

Here's the website if it helps:

http://www.keewaydin.org/keewaydin-temagami-for-boys-and-girls/about-temagami/ And please note the cute blond boy in the green plaid shirt, upper right photo. That's my youngest!

This looks awesome! I'm going to bookmark it :)

But I have to ask... How in the world do you do it? I WANT to be able to let DS do stuff like that, but I can't. even. imagine. letting go of him for a week, much less 2, 4 or 8 weeks! DS just turned 7 and that child just does NOT listen, I'd be too scared that he wouldn't survive past 2 days!! Were you scared the first time you sent one of them off? How long, and at what age, do your sons start going?

I think these kinds of camps are just SO beneficial for young boys/men. I want SO SO bad to give DS those kind of opportunities. The long term benefit for him would be incalculable. But right now, we are tomato-staking until the whole obedience/doing-what's-right thing "clicks" and I just can't imagine what would become of him if he were in that situation.

It looks like you are doing an AMAZING job with your boys!!!

This looks awesome! I'm going to bookmark it :)

But I have to ask... How in the world do you do it? I WANT to be able to let DS do stuff like that, but I can't. even. imagine. letting go of him for a week, much less 2, 4 or 8 weeks! DS just turned 7 and that child just does NOT listen, I'd be too scared that he wouldn't survive past 2 days!! Were you scared the first time you sent one of them off? How long, and at what age, do your sons start going?

I think these kinds of camps are just SO beneficial for young boys/men. I want SO SO bad to give DS those kind of opportunities. The long term benefit for him would be incalculable. But right now, we are tomato-staking until the whole obedience/doing-what's-right thing "clicks" and I just can't imagine what would become of him if he were in that situation.

Boys and girls can begin camp at age 10, and at that age the kids are based at base camp on Lake Temagami. They are in VERY small groups when they are that young - perhaps 4 to 6 campers and 3 staff. The younger sections take trips of 5, 10, and 21 days the first years.

It's hard letting go, but the camp puts pictures of the kids up on the website quite often and seeing the pictures helps. It gets harder when the kids go on the long trips, because they are elsewhere in Canada for 6-7 weeks and we don't hear from them. My boys are all on long trips this year, but it's something they (and I!!!) worked up to. The staff at the camp is awesome, experienced, and responsible; they hire former campers. One of my sons worked there for 2 years, and another will be there as staff next year as well.

My three boys who are there this year are 14, 15, and 17; it is their 5th year. Tom was 9 when he started (they made an exception because he had 4 other brothers at camp that year, lol!)

I gotta say if we get a decent insurance settlement from ds's accident I may have to use it to send the 3 oldest kids to this camp. What an experience!

Isn't that money specifically for the injured child?

You had mentioned future medical bills & pain and suffering.

:confused: