Menu

So torn on whether to HS or not.

My DS is accepted to a gifted charter for early entrance to K. (Our cut off is end of Sept, and he is a nov birthday, so he will turn 5 a few months after school starts.)

It's a 45-60 minute commute, and we aren't too keen on moving to the city the school is in. (Especially if there is a chance it won't work out.)

The school is very good about ability grouping, acceleration, differentiation, etc. It's the perfect school on paper, and I haven't read one bad review about it. That of course doesn't mean we will love it, but there is a good chance that it will be a good fit for my DS. I would love for him to meet some friends, he has a hard time fitting in, and it seems like he would be in his element at the school.

The downsides are a.) he has a lot of food allergies. Lots. He would need to sit at an allergy + table at lunch. I would have to be present for every school party too. (Which is fine, just a little nervous if for some reason I can't be there.) He is contact sensitive to dairy, and although the school says everyone needs to wash their hands after lunch, I'm not sure it will really be followed 100% of the time. b.) it's a charter, and being that funds are limited, the class sizes are on the large side. There would be 24 kids in his class, one teacher, no aide. c.) it's all day M-F. I think he could probably handle it, but it would leave little time for other activities. (Especially with the commute.)

So, that's a lot of downsides, right? :tongue_smilie: I'm pretty sure I want to homeschool, I just worry that this is such a good opportunity for him to be around "kids like him," and i'm passing it up. There is a wait list for every grade, so if he doesn't go this year, I worry that he won't be able to get in again in the future. (There are 48 K spots, and I expect not nearly as many for the other grades, I guess it would depend on families moving and such.)

I guess I want a kick in the pants to just commit to this homeschooling thing. :)

If I were you, I would homeschool him. For one thing, there are too many downsides, as you say. The drive alone is a big downside. But then all the allergies, etc. To me it wouldn't be worth it. Plus, with homeschooling, you can really meet all his needs, much more than a school can. As far as being with other kids, you would just have to make an effort to get involved with other families in your area.

That's just my 2 cents! :)

Homeschooling done well takes a lot of commitment. It takes organization and self-discipline. It isn't for everyone.

That said, I think it is the answer for kids that don't fit a traditional mold. It really allows them to thrive in who they are. It is amazing to watch our children thrive in discovery and blossom in their abilities.

Homeschooling doesn't have to be a long term commitment. I do think that kids that are advanced and have experienced being advanced w/homeschooling freedoms would have a harder time adjusting to a regular classroom. I know my ds would wilt in a regular school.

FWIW, I have a love/hate relationship with homeschooling. I can't imagine not homeschooling, but I do have times that I get burned out and have to approach it as a job that has to be done regardless of whether I like it or not. (but that is 18 yrs speaking. I only loved it when we first started.)

It really has to be an individual decision. You have to know yourself and your ability to constantly wear many "hats."

Seriously coming from a mom who has a child with physical medical needs, and food allergies. Trust me when I tell you your better off homeschooling.

One you'll be traveling quite a distance to the school. 2. The allergy table isn't what its all cracked up to be. There are many kids with different types of allergies. You may have someone allergic to milk, someone allergic to peanut , someone allergic to this, that and the other. But the kid with milk allergies may have a peanut butter sandwhich, the the kid with peanut allergies may have milk to drink and visa versa. Its impossible to seperate every child with every single different type of allergy.

I live about a few minutes from our private school and it was very, very difficult with food. There were times parents would make party bags and my daughter was coming home with candy that had peanuts even though the teacher really stressed the parents to please not bring it into the classroom. The problem was the teacher wasn't able to view what was in those bags. So she instituted the popsicle rule, for birthday parties that were to be celebrated. Then I became " That mom." The mom who sucked all the fun out of "little Billy's" party because he wanted to bring some kind of cupcakes to school.

I was always promised that my daughter wouldn't be sitting next to someone with peanut butter sandwhiches and that wasn't always reinforced.

Why? Because teachers aren't food police. That's why.

It was such a HUGE pain in the rear.

He really isn't missing out on much. Trust me, and that's coming from a parent who sent their children to a good school. They just weren't missing out on much when it came to brick and mortar school. We did so much more homeschooling then my girls ever did in a brick and mortar school.

If I were you, I would homeschool him. For one thing, there are too many downsides, as you say. The drive alone is a big downside. But then all the allergies, etc. To me it wouldn't be worth it. Plus, with homeschooling, you can really meet all his needs, much more than a school can. As far as being with other kids, you would just have to make an effort to get involved with other families in your area.

:iagree: The 1 1/2 to 2 hours in a car daily would be enough for me to scrap the school plan. Think about what you could get done in that amount of time alone! And the food allergies would seal the deal for me. Look for enrichment out of the house that might be a good fit so he can find some peers in a safer environment.

FWIW, my kid went to 2 years of PS and we have a GT magnet about 10 minutes from home. GT magnets often have highly involved parents that rave about them. But I've talked to parents who've pulled out of the GT magnet. So many intense and inquisitive personalities in one room all day isn't always the best.

I think I might try it out, but I wouldn't hesitate to HS either, in that situation. Ds has multiple food allergies and although the charter dd will go to is EXCELLENT on paper, I don't trust anyone enough to be careful with life-threatening allergies, so he will probably be HSed. Plus the commute. Eeeep. Mine is 15 min and that still feels like a ton.

I would personally give the school a try for a semester and see how it goes. If it works, great! If not, you can always bring him home. If you start out HS and change your mind later, then it doesn't sound like you're likely to have the chance to send him to this particular school.

I would personally give the school a try for a semester and see how it goes. If it works, great! If not, you can always bring him home. If you start out HS and change your mind later, then it doesn't sound like you're likely to have the chance to send him to this particular school.

:iagree:

Also, if you end up pulling him, you will be less likely to have the grass is greener syndrome when things get rough homeschooling (and they will as homeschooling is a huge commitment). You'll *know* that he can't go back and you have to make homeschooling work.

I wouldn't worry so much if the school met his academic needs. But in the case of food allergies its not worth putting your child in danger just to see if sending him to school works or not.

I wouldn't worry so much if the school met his academic needs. But in the case of food allergies its not worth putting your child in danger just to see if sending him to school works or not.

I think this is the conclusion we've come to. That, and we are looking forward to the lifestyle of a homeschooling family. :D

:iagree: What she said.

Seriously coming from a mom who has a child with physical medical needs, and food allergies. Trust me when I tell you your better off homeschooling.

One you'll be traveling quite a distance to the school. 2. The allergy table isn't what its all cracked up to be. There are many kids with different types of allergies. You may have someone allergic to milk, someone allergic to peanut , someone allergic to this, that and the other. But the kid with milk allergies may have a peanut butter sandwhich, the the kid with peanut allergies may have milk to drink and visa versa. Its impossible to seperate every child with every single different type of allergy.

I live about a few minutes from our private school and it was very, very difficult with food. There were times parents would make party bags and my daughter was coming home with candy that had peanuts even though the teacher really stressed the parents to please not bring it into the classroom. The problem was the teacher wasn't able to view what was in those bags. So she instituted the popsicle rule, for birthday parties that were to be celebrated. Then I became " That mom." The mom who sucked all the fun out of "little Billy's" party because he wanted to bring some kind of cupcakes to school.

I was always promised that my daughter wouldn't be sitting next to someone with peanut butter sandwhiches and that wasn't always reinforced.

Why? Because teachers aren't food police. That's why.

It was such a HUGE pain in the rear.

He really isn't missing out on much. Trust me, and that's coming from a parent who sent their children to a good school. They just weren't missing out on much when it came to brick and mortar school. We did so much more homeschooling then my girls ever did in a brick and mortar school.

I taught K/1 for two years, and had all three peanut allergy kids in my classroom. I put up no-nut signs all over the classroom, and the kids were not allowed to bring pb and j for lunch, because I was afraid they would get residue inside our classroom.

For the most part, the other parents were really supportive, but there were a few moms who gave me grief. Also, birthday treats were a big issue.