Menu

If you have a few kids...how do you rotate them with lessons....

Pster

- I have 1 that could probably do some independent work & 2 that could not - Soooooooo......

Does it work to do one subject with the oldest then switch kids and do a subject with #2 and then switch kids and do a subject with #3......

- or do you get more done getting all the school work of one done before you switch kids?

Does is work better to do a set time of work with one child and then switch? Say, an hour per child and keep rotating?

I have been letting the 2 youngest play while I do school with the oldest and I'm thinking I should break up that time so it's not long and they aren't getting into trouble so much and I get work done with them too.

Just looking for new ideas to make school work for us! I am sure someone has tried something that I can make work for us!

We use a MOTH schedule basically for two reasons. First to budget my time so that each DC is getting the help they need. Second to help keep my 3yo busy and out of trouble.

I rotate through the kids throughout the morning. One on one I don't spend more than 30 minutes at a time. When we combine together, we work for longer periods. (Thank goodness, the 3yo loves to listen in on his sister's history and science.)

Here's a link to our schedule.

HTH

- I have 1 that could probably do some independent work & 2 that could not - Soooooooo......

Does it work to do one subject with the oldest then switch kids and do a subject with #2 and then switch kids and do a subject with #3......

- or do you get more done getting all the school work of one done before you switch kids?

Does is work better to do a set time of work with one child and then switch? Say, an hour per child and keep rotating?

I have been letting the 2 youngest play while I do school with the oldest and I'm thinking I should break up that time so it's not long and they aren't getting into trouble so much and I get work done with them too.

Just looking for new ideas to make school work for us! I am sure someone has tried something that I can make work for us!

I school 4 on 4 different grade levels. You're right in that it's tricky. I always tell my dh that I look like a one-armed wall-paper hanger in the day! (I hope that doesn't offend anyone) Usually, I go over the lessons with my ds12 first so he can get his day done, and the younger work on something like handwriting or ETC while I'm doing that. If they need me for that then they can read. My K'er just plays or colors while she's waiting for me. Then I go to whoever is ready for me, doing math first. While that one is doing math worksheet I go teach the other one their math lesson. While that one is doing worksheet, I go to my K'er and work with her. I also use ds12 to work with my K'er on ETC. After all the math is done I then go to grammar with another. Mine always want to take breaks, but if we did that all the time then we'd never get done. We take a break or two for maybe 15 min., but that's it. As it is, we school from 9-1, and ds12 goes till 2 or so. Of course we stop for lunch where I read history and science to them. We are all sitting in our school room when we school so I put my rolling chair in between them and roll from kid to kid! It sounds kinda funny typing it in, but it works for us. We all kinda get in our groove and it gets done. I know it can be really difficult because you want to let everyone have their time with you and get done with the work. HTH a little!

At this point this seems to work best for us:

~ Start together with Bible, memory work, history, & foreign language

~ Teach 3rd grader math, grammar, writing, and cursive while 5th grader does work she can do alone (GWG, piano practice, extra practice math, spelling page, Latin assignment from co-op, etc.)

~ Switch kids -- teach 5th grader math & writing while 3rd grader completes his assignments and practices instruments.

~ After lunch -- do "together" subjects like science, art, geography, etc., depending on the day. (And, yes, I am sometimes still teaching after lunch, which makes our school day go longer.:rolleyes: )

My 2 yo joins us in the morning (listening to the olders recite verses and our history read aloud); then plays/"reads"/draws while I teach (with some interruptions, but they're usually quick); and then she naps in the afternoon.

HTH! I tried switching after each subject -- like math with one then the other, but it didn't seem to be as efficient as teaching everything to one, then to the other. The key was to make sure the other child has school work to do while I'm teaching the other. I have used a timer sometimes, and it has helped to keep us focused and moving. When I do this, I can almost always finish teaching 3Rs by lunch.

I give instruction to the oldest firs because he is very independent and will keep working while I work with the youngers. Once the older 2 are working on their lessons, I take time to read to the little ones do some phonics. We schedule an hour per subject in the morning so that by the 2nd half hour I can be doing something with the little ones.

I have a ds4, ds10, dd7 and dd11

I do devotion, bible memory, hymn and prayer first with all.

Then, ds4 does about 1/2 hour with mom (letters, numbers, etc) while the other do their morning chores.

Then ds10 (the most antsy) does his math, grammar and reading with mom. dd 11 works independently, and dd7 does piano practice, handwriting and etc on her own.

Then ds10 does his handwriting, etc, and math facts practice on his own while I do math, grammar and reading with dd7.

ds4 plays and hangs around with us during this time.

Then we all break for lunch, do a read aloud together then have quiet room time for 1 hour.

After that, we do afternoon work together, history, science, art or chorus.

My guys like to do all their work in a row without breaks.

I start with the oldest, who can work independently, first. I get her started on her assignments. The understanding is that if she gets stuck she can move on to a new subject or the next problem until I'm finished with another kid.

Then I usually see which of my learning readers is ready to learn. It depends. I do one-one teaching with each for math and reading. Today was the first day that my 1st grader was able to do her work independently! :) Mostly we do Math first and then reading. It helps with distractions if we keep to one subject. While they wait for their individual attention from me they can play with their younger sib, play with the math blocks, or do a chore. The main rule is that no one can intererupt the lesson unless there's barf, blood, or a major catastrophe looming.

My 3rd grader is wont to invent "problems" so she can take a break. She gets to set the timer for a 15 min break once she gets two subjects done for the day. It helps me remember too so I don't get distracted with the youngers activities.

I play every day by ear. It varies from day to day. I try to work with my oldest first. She is starting to be able to do some work independently, so I do the things that she needs help with first, then I send her off to do the independent stuff, like spelling, cursive, copywork, etc. While I am working with her, my two youngest are usually playing. Today, though, they occupied themselves by doing a craft.

Then I work with my ds, 7. We do his reading, ETC and read aloud. Then he can do his own thing.

In the afternoon, we do more switching around. I help dd with piano practice while ds is looking at books. Then I help ds with piano practise and math while dd is reading a chapter book. Then I spend time with my youngest, doing pre--school activities.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

Very imperfectly.

I only have two (11 and 9), and this whole thing drives me crazy. DD rushes through just to be able to pop up and ends up redoing it half the time. DS is slooooowwww.

For some subjects, I try to alternate them so one is with me and one is working independently (to use the term loosely). During these times, I often find to my chagrin that they both end up at my desk needing me at the same time. Grrr.

Other times, I am trying to get them both to a certain point so that we can do a "together" subject like history. At these times, they are almost never in sync. Then, usually I'm rushing DS while trying to rack my brain for meaningful things to keep DD busy until DS is finished that yet won't put him further behind in a key subject (like Latin). Or, I have her change a load of laundry or something.

Sometimes a slooowww child or a misbehaving one has to take "homework" to do during their daily reading time so I can keep them in sync in the right subjects.

I have not yet figured out how to herd these two cats, keep these two plates spinning, etc., without coming dangerously close to losing my sanity. The bright spot is that sometimes I can go to the bathroom without them losing focus while I'm out of the room.

So, I'm afraid that I have no good answers for you, but I certainly sympathize. I hope others have some good answers.

We are also using a MOTH schedule, and rotate subjects and kids through the morning (I have 3rd, 1st, 3yo and 3month old). We do prayers, Bible, recitation together, then I give 1st her ETC to work on, and show 3rd his Latin lesson. Then 1st is ready to read aloud to me - then 3rd does math with me (usually only needs me for w few minutes, then does lesson on his own). Once Latin and Math are done, we gather together again and I read to all - myths, fables, history whatever is on the schedule - then we move on to Language Arts - usually I send one to practice piano and work on LA with other, the switch. So we alternate, and of course, 1st grader does not have as much to get through, so much of her day is spent playing with 3yo.

I've got three, 4th, K and Pre-K. Pre-K'er and K'er do a lot of playing and will sometimes join in with DD9's lessons. When she and I are working together and the younger two can't or don't want to take part they just play. I try to find some science and history books for them so that they can join in for the reading part of those lessons but they don't do map work, copywork, tests, writing etc...

When DD9 does independent work then DD6 and DD3 do stuff with me.

This works well now, I'm still thinking about when they get older.:)

we aim to study from 9:00-3:00, but when life gets in the way the times change, but the order does not. If we need to shorten our day I either shorten the blocks to 30 minutes each or skip the after lunch subjects. My kids are older, but the same concept would work well with younger kids. For example, our day looks like this:

Dd: English, Languages (Latin & Spanish), Math, Science, Lunch, Geography, Literature, Flute Practice

Ds#1: Science, English / Latin, Math, French / Typing, Lunch, Geography, Literature, Drum Practice

Ds#2: Typing / Japanese, Math, English / Latin, Science, Lunch, Geography, Literature, Violin Practice

Mom: Spelling with dd (~15"), go over Science with Ds#1, English / Latin with Ds#1, English / Latin with Ds#2, Science with Ds#2, Lunch, chores / check e-mails / etc. but available for dc as needed, RAs with boys, chores / etc.

Ds#2 was 3yo when we began HS/ing. During lessons time he had a work list just like Ds#1 & did a lot independently. I had a basket with storytapes / book sets ( & a walkman), pattern blocks & cards, beads (with patterns on pipecleaners to copy on shoe laces), color or cutting pages, Spectrum preschool workbooks for phonics & math, etc. I would change the tapes, patterns, etc. weekly to keep the work fresh. Educational computer games are good for independent work with younger dc as well. My boys really liked the math blaster & reading blaster cd-roms.

Try something for a month, if it doesn't work try a different schedule. My HS is always a work-in-progress. Some seasons it's worked best to do all together work first, other seasons it's worked best to space out the together work.

JMHO,

One child at a time. We do all of their schoolwork and then they are free the rest of the day to do their own thing. I prefer to do the youngest first because she takes the most patience but it rarely works out that way. With the 5th grader we do all grammar, math & Latin and then she does her science and history reading by herself but in my presence. I do everything with the 3rd grader.

The older two are completely independent including checking their own work. I just go over their stuff at my leisure to double check and make sure they are getting it done. I help with anything that they don't understand and discuss subjects with them usually in the evening. One of them has to be prodded on a regluar basis the other if very motivated and is a real joy to discuss things with. Can you guess which is deciding to go to college?

I like rotating, unless they're on different schedules (if one is a very early-bird, there is no need to rotate with that one as much).

Rotating helps keep everyone on the same page, and on their 'off' times - older ones can do independent work with short breaks, while younger ones can be given something to do (puzzles, books on tape, coloring, copywork), and have longer breaks, which they need anyway.

Besides rotating, it can help to stagger their starting times according to their sleep patterns. So earliest riser gets mom time first (alone), latest gets mom time in the afternoons (when everyone else is done), and everyone is rotated in between.

There is also combining, don't forget that!

When I had three still at home, I'd just start with the oldest and work my way down. She was the earliest riser, so we'd get in at least an hour or two for the biggest chunk of her one-on-one subjects (Algebra, English/Lit). Then I'd do Math w/#2, math w/#3, English w/#2, English w/#3. All of this time, #1 would be working on her assignments from Math and English/Lit.

Then we'd have lunch, and I'd do a quick Latin w/#3 while #1 & #2 did some Latin independently. Then I'd do Latin with them.

Science & History went the same way, combining ages where possible.