Menu

Is it more important to finish Algebra or to have a full year of Geometry?

My ds (9th) is wrapping up Ch. 11 of Foerster's Algebra. The last three chapters of the text are:

Ch. 12: Radical Algebraic Expressions

Ch. 13: Inequalities

Ch. 14: Functions and Advanced Topics

I know that there is no possible way for him to finish those chapters before summer is over. (He works slowly in math, and we are also preparing to move out of state.) Here are our options as I see them:

1. Finish the book in the fall (probably by Christmas) and then do a lighter geometry over 6 months (MUS or LOF maybe?)

2. Finish Ch. 11, take a break to move, etc., and then do a "regular" geometry text (BJU w/DVDs or TT) this fall, skipping Ch. 12-14

3. Finish Ch. 11, take a break to move, etc., then do a lighter geometry text (finishing early), and then come back to Foerster's for Ch. 12-14

I realize that some of the material in those chapters will be in Alg. 2, but as this child is not super strong in math, a second pass at those topics would be really helpful.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Since it's easy to forget what's already been learned in algebra while doing geometry, I'd suggest that he work on those chapters concurrent with the geometry next year. He may be able to do the algebra only 2 or 3 days each week and still finish at the end of the year. His algebra skills will be kept sharp and he'll have done geometry as well.

I really wouldn't stint either geometry OR algebra 1 to try and hurry through.

Another option you haven't listed:

Finish algebra 1 in the fall. Do geometry over the spring of 10th/fall of 11th. Do algebra 2 over spring of 11th/fall of 12th. Do first half of precalculus in Spring of 12th, and call it College Algebra.

My ds (9th) is wrapping up Ch. 11 of Foerster's Algebra. The last three chapters of the text are:

Ch. 12: Radical Algebraic Expressions

Ch. 13: Inequalities

Ch. 14: Functions and Advanced Topics

I know that there is no possible way for him to finish those chapters before summer is over. (He works slowly in math, and we are also preparing to move out of state.) Here are our options as I see them:

1. Finish the book in the fall (probably by Christmas) and then do a lighter geometry over 6 months (MUS or LOF maybe?)

2. Finish Ch. 11, take a break to move, etc., and then do a "regular" geometry text (BJU w/DVDs or TT) this fall, skipping Ch. 12-14

3. Finish Ch. 11, take a break to move, etc., then do a lighter geometry text (finishing early), and then come back to Foerster's for Ch. 12-14

I realize that some of the material in those chapters will be in Alg. 2, but as this child is not super strong in math, a second pass at those topics would be really helpful.

Any advice?

Thanks.

I absolutely would not stop after 11. Chpt14 is not absolutely necessary, but 12 and 13 are IMHO.

I have taught this book 4 times and am writing plans right now for my 5th yr. A decent pace through the text is approx 1 sec/day (not counting the first section which is meant to be combined with the test) + 5 extra days (we do every single word problem and every challenge problem) + 1 day for the test. Chpts 12 has 10 sections and 13 has 8. Those 2 chpts should be able to be covered in approx 30 days give or take a few.

HTH

If he does TT Geometry and does one lesson or test per day, he should be able to finish in 125 days, which leaves plenty of time to finish the Foerster book.

I've read that TT Geometry is 110 Lessons. My oldest needs to finish up Chalkdust/Larson's Algebra I (he struggled through it) and I was hoping to spend some time in the fall finishing it up and then proceed to TT Geometry.....

Has anyone done this?

K

I've read that TT Geometry is 110 Lessons. My oldest needs to finish up Chalkdust/Larson's Algebra I (he struggled through it) and I was hoping to spend some time in the fall finishing it up and then proceed to TT Geometry.....

Has anyone done this?

K

I'm not sure what you're asking. We used TT Geometry and my son was able to easily finish it at the pace of one lesson/test per day.

How about finish this book once you're settled from the move, ideally done by Christmas. Then do 3/4 of a regular, full-year geometry program until June. Over the summer, finish the geometry. Then ds is back on track, and will have completed both a decent Algebra program and a decent Geometry program.

If your plan includes the last three chapters of Algebra (which it should, at least the last two), then I wouldn't wait until after Geometry to do them. Do them first, while you're in the swing of this book, and before you may need to use the skills in the next year's program.

If your plan includes the last three chapters of Algebra (which it should, at least the last two), then I wouldn't wait until after Geometry to do them. Do them first, while you're in the swing of this book, and before you may need to use the skills in the next year's program.

:iagree:

that is a very aggressive pace for my ds. He takes approximately two days per section (doing the odds and all of the word problems), and he has done several sections more than once. (Actually, he did a couple of chapters twice as well.)

Thank you for your advice concerning the importance of the chapters. I will plan on him finishing the book.

I absolutely would not stop after 11. Chpt14 is not absolutely necessary, but 12 and 13 are IMHO.

I have taught this book 4 times and am writing plans right now for my 5th yr. A decent pace through the text is approx 1 sec/day (not counting the first section which is meant to be combined with the test) + 5 extra days (we do every single word problem and every challenge problem) + 1 day for the test. Chpts 12 has 10 sections and 13 has 8. Those 2 chpts should be able to be covered in approx 30 days give or take a few.

HTH

and if his schedule wasn't so full, I would definitely consider it. I think for him, though, it would be best to work on one math at a time. I may have mutiny on my hands if I insisted on two! :D

Since it's easy to forget what's already been learned in algebra while doing geometry' date=' I'd suggest that he work on those chapters concurrent with the geometry next year. He may be able to do the algebra only 2 or 3 days each week and still finish at the end of the year. His algebra skills will be kept sharp and he'll have done geometry as well.[/quote']

This schedule may end up happening by default if the geometry doesn't get finished by next spring.

I really wouldn't stint either geometry OR algebra 1 to try and hurry through.

Another option you haven't listed:

Finish algebra 1 in the fall. Do geometry over the spring of 10th/fall of 11th. Do algebra 2 over spring of 11th/fall of 12th. Do first half of precalculus in Spring of 12th, and call it College Algebra.

How about finish this book once you're settled from the move, ideally done by Christmas. Then do 3/4 of a regular, full-year geometry program until June. Over the summer, finish the geometry. Then ds is back on track, and will have completed both a decent Algebra program and a decent Geometry program.

Perhaps he would have time for both. When your dc worked through TT, was it difficult to complete each lesson in one day? Algebra has been a slow-go for my son, but I'm hoping that Geometry will be easier for him.

Thanks for your advice.

If he does TT Geometry and does one lesson or test per day, he should be able to finish in 125 days, which leaves plenty of time to finish the Foerster book.

I think this is very wise.

IMHO, an excellent grasp of algebra is much more important than geometry. Now, you'll need a decent grasp of geometry for standardized tests, etc, but algebra is foundational to SO MUCH higher math and science courses . . . whereas advanced geometry rarely crops up once you pass the final and finish your SATs, etc. I can't judge the content/chapters you're talking about, but that's my general opinion.

that is a very aggressive pace for my ds. He takes approximately two days per section (doing the odds and all of the word problems), and he has done several sections more than once. (Actually, he did a couple of chapters twice as well.)

Thank you for your advice concerning the importance of the chapters. I will plan on him finishing the book.

Let me jump in here and add something....pacing. I think I see that your son is 14. At 14 my son could have taken Foerster's Algebra but I planned it so that it would be 'fresh' on his mind when taking tests (ACT/PSAT)..if he had taken it in 8th grade and jumped into Algebra II at the time he took those tests (10th grade)...I felt it would have been challenging to recall some of the basics even though they build on one another.

At 14 my son would probably take a long time, he just turned 16 and is starting 10th grade this Fall...he is in the middle of his Geometry course and we do two lessons a day (also did this with Foerster's)...at 14 I do not believe he could have done this. But, if your son is taking that long to do a lesson, I would stick with Foerster's and focus more on time....

I am a testing admin for the SAT's (Stanford) and although there are no time limits, I suffer for those students who take 3x what another child will take...when they hit the PSAT/ACT they will struggle...I have found that to help with speed we do block scheduling...they focus on science intensely for half the year and math intensely (2 lessons a day) the other half..his speed has picked up immensely, he can do two lessons in less than 1.5 hours easily...it could also be that portion of his brain has had more time to develop? Who knows...but to keep him 'fresh' on the months he does not do math, we just do word problems or a workbook of about 10 problems a day, nothing new, just cementing the information he has already learned.

HTH!

Tara

Thanks for helping me to think about the bigger picture (advanced science, etc.). This helps me to solidify my own thoughts about this situation.

IMHO, an excellent grasp of algebra is much more important than geometry. Now, you'll need a decent grasp of geometry for standardized tests, etc, but algebra is foundational to SO MUCH higher math and science courses . . . whereas advanced geometry rarely crops up once you pass the final and finish your SATs, etc. I can't judge the content/chapters you're talking about, but that's my general opinion.

I am glad that block scheduling worked for your son. I know that for my own ds, two lessons of math per day would be absolute torture. I'm quite certain it would harm our relationship if I were to insist upon it. ;)

Thanks for the reminder about standardized testing, though. We'll be sure to incorporate some review of Algebra 1 before the tests.

Let me jump in here and add something....pacing. I think I see that your son is 14. At 14 my son could have taken Foerster's Algebra but I planned it so that it would be 'fresh' on his mind when taking tests (ACT/PSAT)..if he had taken it in 8th grade and jumped into Algebra II at the time he took those tests (10th grade)...I felt it would have been challenging to recall some of the basics even though they build on one another.

At 14 my son would probably take a long time, he just turned 16 and is starting 10th grade this Fall...he is in the middle of his Geometry course and we do two lessons a day (also did this with Foerster's)...at 14 I do not believe he could have done this. But, if your son is taking that long to do a lesson, I would stick with Foerster's and focus more on time....

I am a testing admin for the SAT's (Stanford) and although there are no time limits, I suffer for those students who take 3x what another child will take...when they hit the PSAT/ACT they will struggle...I have found that to help with speed we do block scheduling...they focus on science intensely for half the year and math intensely (2 lessons a day) the other half..his speed has picked up immensely, he can do two lessons in less than 1.5 hours easily...it could also be that portion of his brain has had more time to develop? Who knows...but to keep him 'fresh' on the months he does not do math, we just do word problems or a workbook of about 10 problems a day, nothing new, just cementing the information he has already learned.

HTH!

Tara

I am glad that block scheduling worked for your son. I know that for my own ds, two lessons of math per day would be absolute torture. I'm quite certain it would harm our relationship if I were to insist upon it. ;)

My experience has been that most kids' brains shut down after an hour of math. I call it "brain freeze" and it's almost like a switch has been thrown - something they could do five minutes ago they just blank on. It's worse if they're tired or hungry. So I advise that if you are going to do more than an hour a day, you split it up - perhaps morning and afternoon, or morning and evening.