Menu

Talk me into/out of finishing Don Quixote

Milknhoney

Normally I would consider myself a lover of classic literature, but I am having a hard time with this one. It started out funny, but now, I'm over it. I hate this guy. I get that it is supposed to be a parody of the overuse of chivalry. Is that it? Should I be getting some greater meaning out of this than just some guy acting stupid? I am only in Ch 15; I have 87% of the book left to finish. Should I bother? Is it worth it?

Oh goodness. I had to just pitch in and say I tried to read Don Quixote years ago and wound up in the same boat. It just went on and on and it was just too much. I think I wound up going online and looking at the cliff notes instead. So you are not alone. I have no idea what's at the end of the book.

Good to know! I haven't read it yet, but it sounds dreary to me. I know the story from watching LatAm TV years ago. I can imagine it being tedious, as Miguel de Cervantes was let's say.. verbose.

That said, I'm struggling to finish reading Jack's Insects to the kiddos. We're only going to start on Ch. 9, but the chapters are sooo looong and the words difficult even for children in that era. Some parts we like, and ds has learned some, but with much explanation on my part. There are 20 chapters :blink:

Which will give you the most satisfaction? To say "I finished that book!" or "That book was so obnoxiously awful I chose not to and would be delighted to stand by that decision even if my eternal comfort was to be determined by an elitist, book snob?"

For me, 'War and Peace,' 'St Augustine's Confessions' and 'The Book of Margery Kempe' have fallen into the former category. Michel de Montaigne's collected rantings fell into the second. Of course if I were to meet him in the afterlife, I'd make sure he thought it was entirely my own deficiency and not his.

:lol:

Rosie

I set it aside. For some reason I thought it was going to be a much better read. I much prefer canterbery tales. If a book is good I can polish it off in two days max, even books up to 1000 pages. So if I dOnt get into it I feel it isn't worth my time.

I made it not quite half way through and found it tedious. Every chapter and adventure were far too similar and the actions and dialog were predictable; I felt like I was reading a soap-opera. I skipped to the end and read the last few chapters. I suggest you do the same.

I don't think you will be considered maleducated (i made that word up just for you) if you don't finish it.

I can't. I. just. can't. bear it. anymore...I agree with the pp who said life is too short and there are too many great books to waste your time on one you hate.

If you are doing the WEM, jump to Oliver Twist and that will make you very happy.

I'm in the same boat. I really love classic literature and wanted to read Don Quixote. I got about 6 chapters in, I think and I can't make myself keep going. It just doesn't interest me at ALL and I find it incredibly boring. I WANT to finish, it might be GOOD for me to finish it and be able to say I read it, but..nope, not going to happen.

As someone previously said, there are too many other great books out there and not enough time to read them all.

SWB makes an attempt to explain why it's important to read in the WEM, but... I don't like it. (Love ya, Susan!)

I'll read her explanation and the cliff notes and be the best student I can be on the other stuff (hopefully). I am old enough to sign myself out of class when I want to!

But, but, but, Don Quixote is one of my favorites!!! Maybe you are reading a bad translation? (There are plenty out there...) In my opinion, Don Quixote SHOULD be funny pretty much all the way through (there are some crude bits that I dislike), and then at the end it's so wonderfully sweet and sad and HUMAN!

I like the Rutherford translation. My husband prefers the Grossman one. If you're not liking it, try a different translation before you give up. Please? :-)

I've been reading it since JANUARY!!!! (And I usually fly through books). I just have to take breaks with this one. I can only take so much, then I have to set it aside for awhile. Overall I'm enjoying it (maybe because of the breaks!) and I find myself laughing out loud. But yes...it definitely gets tedious at times. I know I'll always be annoyed if I don't finish it...so I'll plug away. I'm really really really hoping to be through with it by the end of the year. Having that goal in mind makes it a little easier to get through the slow parts, for me.

I've read about 1/2 with WEM. So i have the chapter summaries to get me going again when I'm ready! I too have to take breaks with it. I enjoy it when I actually read a good chunk - it has those glimmers of a really good book that makes me reluctant to abandon it altogether. I keep telling myself that classics are classics for a reason and there must be a good ending!

I really liked it... but then I had no choice about getting through it, because it was for Spanish class in college. The original Spanish version. I enjoyed it very much but it's true it was long.

When I read it years later in English i was amazed how much faster it went--- then I realized I was reading an abridged version. Maybe you could find an abridged version.

But I would definitely read the ending.

When I read it first, I did a class presentation in which I compared DQ with the life of a person of faith-- what we see vs what we believe and the difference between them and how we choose to act. (I got an A+ so it must have been good!) :)

Now, as a mother, I see more the pathos in DQ-- him living in a dream world-- while my children will eventually leave childhood and fairytales behind, and that is necessary and right, although sad, but DQ tried to stay in that world... that world which is beautiful but also deceiving and you have to realize at some point that you are no longer a child.

My point is, DQ has been percolating through my mind all these years (20) so it must be a classic!

I really liked it... but then I had no choice about getting through it, because it was for Spanish class in college. The original Spanish version. I enjoyed it very much but it's true it was long.

When I read it years later in English i was amazed how much faster it went--- then I realized I was reading an abridged version. Maybe you could find an abridged version.

When I read it first, I did a class presentation in which I compared DQ with the life of a person of faith-- what we see vs what we believe and the difference between them and how we choose to act. (I got an A+ so it must have been good!) :)

Now, as a mother, I see more the pathos in DQ-- him living in a dream world-- while my children will eventually leave childhood and fairytales behind, and that is necessary and right, although sad, but DQ tried to stay in that world... that world which is beautiful but also deceiving and you have to realize at some point that you are no longer a child.

My point is, DQ has been percolating through my mind all these years (20) so it must be a classic!

wow...you have nearly convinced me to go back and pick it back up. I do hate to give up on a classic...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this. Sometimes I get caught up in the length and plowing through....but you're right...there really is such a great theme here. Thank you for reminding me of it.

But, but, but, Don Quixote is one of my favorites!!! Maybe you are reading a bad translation? (There are plenty out there...) In my opinion, Don Quixote SHOULD be funny pretty much all the way through (there are some crude bits that I dislike), and then at the end it's so wonderfully sweet and sad and HUMAN!

I like the Rutherford translation. My husband prefers the Grossman one. If you're not liking it, try a different translation before you give up. Please? :-)

I was wondering if that could be part of it. I downloaded it onto my Kindle from Gutenberg Project. I have no idea who the translator was, but I will take a look at that.

Okay, Okay.... I'll keep trying. I hate to think I might be missing out on something good!

The other day my husband and a high schooler were talking about football and he was telling the young man not to return his helmet and just pay for it so he could have it as a souvenir. $300!! Who would pay that for an old helmet, I said. Then this image of a modern Don Quixote not wanting to give up his football helmet popped into my head. So I must be connecting with it on some small level!! :lol:

Oh mercy. I have started that book 5 times in the past 4 years, gotten through about 1/2 of it and then quit. I can't handle it. You already get the idea of how this guy operates in the first several chapters. How much more do we need to know?

I read DQ over the summer in high school. I don't think I quite understood all of it, but there was still a lot I got out of it. I could be wrong, but it my memory says that the second half is quite different from the first half. I was glad I read it, and have thought about rereading it in the near future.

Oh thank you for this! I was getting scared! I am planning a co-op for 6th graders and planning on reading this aloud with them. I remember this story from my school days as a funny one and wanted to share it with them ... I'd hate to dread going thru it! We will get to see some of it in a play at the Ren Fair in MD this year though, so maybe that will help.

:iagree: Another vote to encourage you to keep on reading! It took me a year picking away a few pages a day and stopping to summarize in my literary journal every so often. I am so glad I did.