Menu

S/O from the obesity threads

I tried to read most of the posts in the recent weight threads. Is there a specific something causing all pot bellies? Is it inactivity? Looking for theories here.

My ds, as I've said a billion times, drinks pediasure and I've noticed he's getting just the slightest bit of a belly. Currently his weight is perfect, he has kid muscle definition, but is absolutely getting a bit of a lower belly. His activity level is the same. I'm pretty sure corn is in his pediasure a thousand different ways.

My dd has a belly. Not crazy huge, but it's obviously there. She doesn't eat too terrible, but I have noticed that her weight is v.e.r.y. slowly decreasing since school (lunches) ended.

There were chubby kids when I was younger, but they seemed to be all around chubby, while today's kids have bellies.

What do you think?

I agree. All of my thin kiddos get a bit of a belly and chubbier cheeks right before a growth spurt. They eat and eat and gain a bit, even though it's very healthy food. Then they grow and get long and lean again.

I think the big bellies on some dc are lack of exercise and poor diet (HFCS mostly,) and probably lack of sleep. But I also know super-skinny kiddos who eat horribly and never move and don't gain all the weight, so some of it must be genetic. And I know kiddos who are just bigger (not with big bellies, but just built bigger all over) who eat very healthy and play sports a lot.

I tried to read most of the posts in the recent weight threads. Is there a specific something causing all pot bellies? Is it inactivity? Looking for theories here.

My ds, as I've said a billion times, drinks pediasure and I've noticed he's getting just the slightest bit of a belly. Currently his weight is perfect, he has kid muscle definition, but is absolutely getting a bit of a lower belly. His activity level is the same. I'm pretty sure corn is in his pediasure a thousand different ways.

My dd has a belly. Not crazy huge, but it's obviously there. She doesn't eat too terrible, but I have noticed that her weight is v.e.r.y. slowly decreasing since school (lunches) ended.

There were chubby kids when I was younger, but they seemed to be all around chubby, while today's kids have bellies.

What do you think?

I pretty much have to agree with what everyone else said. I think that diet, HCFS plays a big part.

But, my DD has endocrine issues and gains, stores fat in her belly because of being insulin resistant. Even when she slims down, there is always some there and probably always will be.

I don't know, I think fat distribution is largely genetic. I've got a friend who is the same height and weight I am. We are very different shapes. I'm all boobs, butt, and thighs; she's all belly.

We have toddlers who are about six weeks apart. It's funny to look at them, because her little one is a skinny thing with a big belly, whereas my very chubby DD has these giant sumo thighs, but a pretty normal toddler-sized belly. (She's got the same clothing problem I have--it's hard to get her in bottoms because if I can get them over her thighs, they're way too big in the waist.)

When I look at most families I know, the kids and parents tend to have remarkably similar body shapes, and when you meet the grandparents, they do, too.

Belly weight is often from stress hormones and insulin. Kids don't get enough sleep, and eat too much sugar/carbs.

I forgot stress hormones. Yup, cortisol causes fat to accumulate around the belly.

I also wonder how much of a role dieting plays in this. We have increasing numbers of people on diets at increasingly younger ages. Many people I know who carry a lot of belly fat either seem to have a strong genetic predisposition to it or have a long history of dieting. They've lost and gained weight lots of times, as most dieters do. Given how much push their is to put kids on restrictive diets, I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing the harmful effects of dieting affecting kids at younger and younger ages, and for many that's leading to an increase in belly fat that they wouldn't have had if they'd just been allowed to follow their body's cues and be the size they were meant to be.

I've noticed this as well.

Could it possibly be mdeication? In the kids who aren't getting ready for a frowth spurt....

I mean - a lot more kids are medicated now, and I know some meds - like certain steriods - can cause oddly distributed weight gain...

My DS is 15 pounds overweight with chubby cheeks, "love handles", larger bottom and hips, and thicker thighs. I guess overall heavy. It's weird because no one thinks he's overweight but it's so obvious to me that I've been concerned for a while.

His was caused by a reduction of exercise but no reduction in calories. He went from 10 hours of taekwondo a week down to 4 1/2 when we switched schools. The old school started every class with running laps around the dojang, pushups, sit ups, jumping jacks, and other exercises. Some classes were nothing but exercises that build strength, endurance, and agility. His new school doesn't do any exercise in the regular classes beyond stretching. They do a little during the once a week sparring class.

I'm hoping to help him trim down. I just rejoined Weight Watchers (I was in it 4 years ago until I got pregnant). I'm hoping the change in what I'm cooking will help him, and I'm changing portion sizes. Plus, he is joining me on morning walks that I hope will morph into running if my foot/knee will allow it.

We eat very little HFCS.

My 6'2" son was always stocky as a kid. When he hit 12 he got quite chubby in the middle. Within the year he had grown very fast and was very skinny. He was almost 10 lbs. at birth and was always in the 95% for weight and height. Now he is 170, but he also lifts weights.

When he was 12 we went swimming with all his same aged friends. They all had huge guts. It made me feel better about my ds. Now they are all perfect weight for their size. Most of them are tall, too. I think we have to be careful not to be too judgmental about necessary weight gain because a lot of kids need it for growth spurts.

Abdominal fat (being "apple" shaped or having more of a "beer gut" type look) can be a marker of insulin resistance.

Does the pediasure come in a can? Can linings usually contain BPA, and BPA has been linked to central adiposity (belly fat) and insulin resistance.

I'm a smaller framed woman with a normal BMI (about 20-21), but when I gain weight, I gain it in my stomach. I have PCOS and IR.

To answer some questions, or comments; I'm honestly not trying to judge anyone, especially my daughter. She's always put on some weight but then shot up (like all kids do). I noticed her weight gain stay after both kids passed food challenges and started eating school lunch. Well, dd ate school lunch. Ds just sat there and told me he ate!

Sleep is good to remember. She's due for another sleep study, but the new ped doesn't know her well enough to just send her out for one. I'll make sure I update the ped when we get home. She is having a harder and harder time falling and staying asleep.

Ds's strawberry pediasure is in cans, but the vanilla and chocolate are in plastic bottles. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I do usually pour it into a cup. I'm trying to get him off of them.

Both kids have been off obvious HFCS since school ended. I was still allowing junk treats for special occassions. I pulled ALL HFCS, and almost all other processed foods in July.

DD is about 4'6" and weighs between 98-101 lbs. DS is 4' and has been holding at 50 lbs for a few months.