Menu

Office Depot vs. Staples

Both of these stores have teacher reward programs. Both of them have good BTS sales going on. Until this time I didn't prefer one to the other.

I called both to inquire about my eligibility for the teacher rewards program. Office Depot was rude from the get go. The customer service rep would not answer my questions completely so I had to ask for more detail. Bottom line...unless you get paid for teaching at a government subsidized school you don't qualify for their teacher rewards.

On the other hand Staples was super nice and very quick to answer my questions and even offered to enroll me in their teacher rewards program. She said that homeschooling moms were welcome to join.

I know that many of us are pinching pennies right now. I hope that this info helps someone else here.

Guess who gets my money from now on?

I much prefer Staples over Office Depot. I've had bad customer service at Office Depot (I spent a lot of money on some binders that were a brand only sold at their store, the rings on them started failing after minimal use, and they wouldn't even let me exchange them or get store credit and they were rude about it), and the people at Staples are always super friendly and helpful (once I called about some printer paper that was on sale, they told me they had it in stock, I went there and they didn't have the right kind in stock, but they sold me something equivalent at the same price).

Also, Office Depot never seemed to have their sale products in stock, while Staples always has plenty.

I called both to inquire about my eligibility for the teacher rewards program. Office Depot was rude from the get go. The customer service rep would not answer my questions completely so I had to ask for more detail. Bottom line...unless you get paid for teaching at a government subsidized school you don't qualify for their teacher rewards.

That person gave incorrect info--Office Depot allows all teachers, even homeschoolers, to sign up for their teacher rewards program. But if you have a Staples nearby, I would definitely go there if your Office Depot's customer service behaves that way. My Staples is too far out of my way. My Office Depot did not have any problem with homeschoolers signing up.

Both of these stores have teacher reward programs. Both of them have good BTS sales going on. Until this time I didn't prefer one to the other.

On the other hand Staples was super nice and very quick to answer my questions and even offered to enroll me in their teacher rewards program. She said that homeschooling moms were welcome to join.

I know that many of us are pinching pennies right now. I hope that this info helps someone else here.

This can vary store to store (attitude), but the company policy is that you do qualify as a homeschooling parent.

I love our Office Depot. It must be a difference in management. They really embrace homeschoolers. I have also had a teacher reward card for several years now and am always invited to their teacher special rewards day with public school teachers. To sign up however I did have to create a name for my school as the registration form wouldn't let that be skipped.

I go to Staples, too. Once they had packs of pencils on sale for a penny, and I bought a couple packs. Turns out that the leads in 70% of them were broken every few millimeters. I (and my kids, who were emerging readers at the time) grew frustrated sharpening them with no result. So, I put a 3" pencil in a ziplock baggie along with all the little pieces of lead and sent it to the corporate office with a letter of complaint stating how frustrating this was for my class of emerging readers. I got a letter of apology back with a $15 gift certificate *and* an apologetic call from the corporate office asking me for more information about the pencils.

I have been a loyal Staples customer ever since. I have no idea how much they've made from me over the years, but it's way more than the $15 they sent to show me how sorry they were. (Which, btw, I used to buy an electric sharpener! :) )

Incidentally, the other posters were right. Office Depot *does* allow home schoolers to get teacher rewards. However, it's just not as helpful a company—and, personally, I don't believe their sales prices are as good, either. YMMV. :)

Edited by Susan in KY

Staples' sales have changed. First, they moved our Staples out to the middle of nowhere. Then the sale was "with $5 purchase" (that was new), the limit went down to two per person, and then they had one item with the rest of the 25cent items, but it had a small print thing on "with mail in rebate". $6 for a ream of paper that was "on sale" for 25cent! Heavens, I don't do rebates and I can get a ream of paper for $3 at Walmart! I returned the paper.

I go to Staples only. ALthough I just found out they don't cut bindings from books (or at least ours doesn't) so I need to head to Office Depot to get it done.

I have scored a lot of fantastic deals at Staples.

I do have a teacher card but I got it when I was a teacher and haven't ever had to change it.

And, just so you know, teacher rewards for teachers (even if not for hsers) are never only for public school teachers (ie: government subsidized schools).

Dawn

Just to clarify, I called the rewards number at both places. The rewards rep at Office Depot was very clear that because I don't get paid for teaching I'm not considered a teacher to them. In all fairness she did say to call my cover school and see if they had a rewards account I could use. But, she would not look up my cover school for me on her list of eligible schools.

Just to clarify, I called the rewards number at both places. The rewards rep at Office Depot was very clear that because I don't get paid for teaching I'm not considered a teacher to them. In all fairness she did say to call my cover school and see if they had a rewards account I could use. But, she would not look up my cover school for me on her list of eligible schools.

I would ask to speak to her supervisor.

We have Office Depot and Office Max. Office Depot has better sales, but Office Max is much, much nicer to work with. For example, their copy/print center has a special price for teachers, and they are MORE than willing to let homeschoolers use it-to the point that the manager saw that I was copying materials designed for school-type use and offered it to me.

I applied in store with the managers help. There wasn't a number to call. Just today I heard them asking someone if they could help them sign up for the teacher's rewards. Maybe if you go in store??

Office Depot is all we have though. The nearest Staples is 60 miles away and I don't think Office Max is even in our state.

I applied in store with the managers help. There wasn't a number to call. Just today I heard them asking someone if they could help them sign up for the teacher's rewards. Maybe if you go in store??

I would go in store. That's how I signed up. The form had a space for school name, but they said to leave it blank since I homeschool (or maybe they said to write "homeschool").

OfficeMax! Well, the other two are much farther away. I have an OfficeMax in town.

I used to work at an OfficeMax, and it was a locally owned franchise, so I would guess policies (and management) will vary.

Wow. I'm surprised by all these comments. Our O.D. is GREAT except for the copy center. But I use Kinko's for all that stuff. Office Max lost my business many years ago when they put me on hold to check an order and apparently forgot me. Staples isn't bad. But OD is closer.

When we were in the States I loved Office Depot. When I was working (before we started hsing), I was a member of their rewards program and spent tons of money due to my job. I could write the supplies off on my expenses and get reimbursed, but the rewards points were mine! I had loads of them and the store I went to was super friendly and helpful. Of course I was there all the time (daily fax in contracts) and almost every employee in the store knew me, so maybe that had something to do with it. Once I quit my job and started hsing, they were just as helpful and had no problem letting me sign up for the teacher program. We moved to AZ for a few months while James Bond was in school and the OD there was fantastic too. I miss them.