Menu

1st Grade Math help.

Koerarmoca

We didn't do a formal curriculum for math in K. She was only homeschooled for about 8 weeks (we moved and started HS in a new state) She is great at math though. I could of saved about $70 in math manipulative's she doesn't use them. She can do simple addition and subtraction mentally. I do however want to use a formal curriculum for 1st grade. I plan on Saxon in the upper grades as I have a few levels worth but I didn't like it for younger kids. What would you suggest?

Another vote for Math Mammoth! I used Right Start for years, but if you plan on transitioning to Saxon I think Math Mammoth would be a good fit. Plus, I think it does a very good job of teaching the "why" behind mathematics. Check out this thread for an upcoming Homeschool Buyer's Co-op sale on it. Good luck!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291064

We just finished the 1st grade program of CSMP. It is free online. There are only a few manipulatives. It is very good at teaching mental math. And it introduces advanced concepts very early on. We especially enjoyed doing multiplication and negative numbers at a level designed for 1st graders.

I am using Singapore next year with my first grader. They have placements tests on their website. My ds is really good at math as well. He scored 96% on the 1A and 90% on the 1B, so we are actually starting in the 2A book that they recommend for the end of second grade. I am glad I could test him and not waste money on something that was too easy.

We just finished the 1st grade program of CSMP. It is free online. There are only a few manipulatives. It is very good at teaching mental math. And it introduces advanced concepts very early on. We especially enjoyed doing multiplication and negative numbers at a level designed for 1st graders.

I like free lol. Do you have a link?

I forgot to say that we are also using the Math Mammoth Geometry for early grades with Singapore. We did not do a formal curriculum in Kindergarten. We worked through a giant workbook over a year and a half. I got the Singapore placement tests and taught number bonds and one other topic amd then tested him.