Menu

ring binders for a lefty...

mrs.m

I'm going to print out everything that we need for next year and put it all into binders for history notebooks. I have a lefty who is also not very good about putting the papers BACK into the binders. :glare: So I end up with a scattered mess. (hence my avid love for CLE LU's! :lol:) With my righties, we just keep it in the binder without an issue. Although it would be nice to have something that folds nicer for writing. I don't want to spiral bind because it is nice to be able to add to them. Upside down binding so it is on the left side will confuse both of us. :D

Where can I find 8.5x11 binders with rings at the top? Do they even exist? Any other ideas?

Could you have your lefty pull the paper out of the binder to work on it, then put it back into a pocket folder (which is either inside the binder or not). They make hole-punched folders. My lefty prefers putting her papers into folders rather than opening and closing the binder rings.

My other thought for having top holes would be that there are clipboards that have 2 big metal rings (well not exactly circular in shape) on the top, where you two-hole punch the papers at the top and put it in the clipboard. That might work. They tend to be really expensive though. Professional business people tend to use them. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Or a clipboard with a storage case.

HTH

Could you have your lefty pull the paper out of the binder to work on it, then put it back into a pocket folder (which is either inside the binder or not). They make hole-punched folders. My lefty prefers putting her papers into folders rather than opening and closing the binder rings.

That might work! He hates to open and close the rings because they make a loud noise and he thinks he'll pinch his fingers. Training isn't going to change the habit without a fight since he is afraid. I still end up doing it for him and if I'm busy, he just shoves them into the binder loose.

I seem to remember having a binder that opened and closed without being loud and used the "handles" to open and close it. Maybe I could find one of those?

A lot of legal documents (at law offices and banks) are kept in folders with rings or clasps at the top. I have also seen doctors offices with hard sided folders that have two holes at the top. Click the link for one place I found them. I Googled "binders with rings at the top."

That's what I'm looking for! But that's a pretty penny for one binder!

Thanks!

That's what I'm looking for! But that's a pretty penny for one binder!

Thanks!

That was just the first thing that came up in my search. Surely, you can find them cheaper somewhere else; but if you just need one or two and can use them for a few years...it might be worth it.

What my lefty did for a while was, punch the holes on the right-side of the paper, then open the binder "backwards." Opening it as though it was a Japanese or Hebrew book. He never had a page in the wrong place.

No one else is going to use the binder or look at his work, so this works for us. We don't use binder much any more, but I am sure he would still be doing it this way.

I know this will sound silly, but if you only print on one side of the pages, hole punch them so the printed side is the back of the page. Then when the binder is open the worksheet is on the left and he can write without the rings in the way. But all the fronts will be blank.

I know this will sound silly, but if you only print on one side of the pages, hole punch them so the printed side is the back of the page. Then when the binder is open the worksheet is on the left and he can write without the rings in the way. But all the fronts will be blank.

For those prices, though, maybe it would be more cost efficient to go with a proclick. You can still open the comb on those and you could bind it on the right or the top.

Good things to think about!

That might work! He hates to open and close the rings because they make a loud noise and he thinks he'll pinch his fingers. Training isn't going to change the habit without a fight since he is afraid. I still end up doing it for him and if I'm busy, he just shoves them into the binder loose.

I seem to remember having a binder that opened and closed without being loud and used the "handles" to open and close it. Maybe I could find one of those?

My DD is a lefty and we have the same problems with noise/pinched fingers, etc! Last year, I found a binder at Staples that opens by pushing just one tab with your thumb. It is called the "Better Binder." You still squeeze a ring to close it, but it is very easy. They work very smoothly. I found some with a similar design at other stores, but they didn't work nearly as well as the ones from Staples.

What my lefty did for a while was, punch the holes on the right-side of the paper, then open the binder "backwards." Opening it as though it was a Japanese or Hebrew book. He never had a page in the wrong place.

No one else is going to use the binder or look at his work, so this works for us. We don't use binder much any more, but I am sure he would still be doing it this way.

This is what I was thinking. You can buy 3 holed punched paper then just print on the wrong side. That would put the holes and binder edge on the right.