Menu

Ordering Prescription Glasses online - BTDT?

I need to order prescription glasses. I have narrowed it down to two potential frames at my eye doctor's office. Just for poops and giggles I googled the frames and found them significantly cheaper online. I like cheap, but not at the expense of dependable service.

If you've ordered online, would you do it again?

Any references for reputable companies, or websites to avoid? Or knowing how to discern the difference?

Stupid question: do you buy the frames only, and have to do the prescription lens part IRL? Or do you send in your prescription, and they ship the whole, ready-to-wear glasses to you?

This is all out-of-pocket, no insurance.

I've ordered online for ds and had good luck. It takes a bit longer but worth the savings. Two companies I've dealt with are:

39DollarGlasses.com - they have a $15 dollar discount right now, I think

ZeniOptical.com

You order the complete pair of glasses, frames and lenses although at 39$ you can have them put lenses in your frames.

WE have been pleased. Good luck!

ETA: You simply give them your eye doc's name and phone number and they call to verify

I've used zenni optical to order frames and lenses. I've used them several times. You can get a complete pair for around $20 and a pair with transition lenses for around $30 or so.

They have always been great, we have ordered 6 pairs of glasses between us now. No problems at all.

Everyone in my family wears glasses, and we've been buying from 39dollarglasses.com for the last bunch of years. We get the whole package - frames and lenses. They even called us last time to verify dd's prescription because it is unusual and they wanted to make sure they had everything right. I've been very happy with their service and will continue to use them.

My brother's been ordering from Zenni for a couple of years now and is really happy. He keeps trying to get me to order too, but I'm fussy about frames and I'm not totally sure I understand all of the measurements. Still, I keep thinking that at some time I may order a backup pair from them...