Menu

Refusing to finish books....

Long story short: if you know your child is full capable of reading and comprehending the books she selects, but in the ends she basically jumps from book to book without finishing the first; would you reach a point where you would say, no more books until you finish this one?

My daughter reads well (a year above her age level), but finds reading "boring" and only reads for her required amount each day because I require it and not because she is engaged in the book - thus has been book hopping all summer.

Should I just be happy she's reading at all, or am I right to be concerned that this could be affecting her reading comprehension?

Does anyone have a good list of general reading comprehension questions I can ask her when she done her reading for the day, that can be applied to what ever she is reading? So I can make sure she is comprehending and that is not, perhaps, an underlining problem.

I have one who does get engaged, but doesn't always finish books. Mine also does not like to start new books, so that is where I am coming from.

We are doing the Barnes and Noble summer reading program: they have to read 8 books, this program doesn't count time, only complete books read.

If reading and the idea of a new book won't be motivation for her (it is for my kids) you can do it on your own and pick a prize that will excite her as a reward fro FINISHING a set number of books.

As far as when we are doing school, I make her read 15 minutes/1 chapter everday, even if she isn't crazy about the book anymore, just so that she can get it finished. That is a small enough chunk that we don't get a ton of whining about it.

Not sure, but I think it is a developmental thing. My ds9 has been reading for years far above level, but has just in the last year or so been reading chapter books, start to finish. He would flip through them and find funny parts and just read those, then flip through another book and do the same thing. It was very frustrating to watch as I hate not going through a book in order. But his comprehension was very good. He would tell me all about the books he was reading and enjoying. He loves to read and I didn't want to make it a chore to get through a book. Now he devours books, although I think he still likes to read several at one time, at least now he will read the books in order and finish them.

I don't know if that helps at all. But it was my experience with my oldest. :-)

I pick a book at a time for school reading. It's usually historical fiction or sciencey, and it's at a harder level. I require something like a chapter a day, until it's done. Beyond that, I let her read what she wants. If she doesn't like it enough to finish, I don't make her. FWIW, her choices are several levels below what she CAN do. But, they are getting more challenging. Last summer, it was the Daisy Meadows fairy series (every one she could find, for hours at a time.) This summer, it's the Little House and Noel Streatfeld series. Yay!

ETA: She still sometimes chooses to read her little sister's library selections, which are picture books. I let her.

Edited by snickelfritz

My ds6 does that. I try not to get harsh about it. I won't make him finish the book. But what I have done is refuse to check out any more books or buy any more books until he finishes *something.* And that usually sort of works. He could go get something new off the shelf that we already have. Or he could reread something. So I don't make him finish everything by any stretch. Eventually the book goes back to the library unfinished sometimes.

I'd consider shorter books at this point. She's probably battling fatique as a new -ish reader.

What sort of books are not being finished?

Junie B. is Not A Crook

Junie B. Toothless Wonder

Judy Moody Gets Famous

Frankie K. Stein Lunch Walks Among Us

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (I don't think she was comprehending, but it was her choice requested over many months)

Yesterday she started Captain Underpants #1, with Captain Underpants #2 and a Wayside School bought the same time

She chose all of these on her own. She actually would chose harder books, but I had to stop that because she was not comprehending. Picture books are BABY BOOKS. She very influenced by the books she sees her friends and older kids reading.

She has a lot of books in her personal library that she refuses to look at (examples):

Shoes series

Magic Treehouse

Ramona Q. series

Mystery A-Z series

American Girl Books

Puppy Place

She does enjoy me reading to her, and I usually read children classics above her reading level.

The problem is her attitude - reading is BORING and NOT COOL. She spends her 15 minutes of reading asking how many minutes she has left. She never reads without being required - will not pick up a book in her own unless it's Peanuts comics. She is much more interested in TV and while we have definitely eliminated a lot of screen time, it has not changed her opinion on books.

She has liked poetry in the recent past (Where the Sidewalk Ends and Now We Are Six), but refused to spend her birthday gift cards (to B&N) on more poetry books when suggested.

Edited by piraterose

I'd let her listen to longer books for now. I would also be trying shorter books with lots of illustrations where she can rest her eyes. (The books you mentioned are a lot of text for some newer readers.) Frog & Toad, Mercy the Pig books etc., are nice and appropriate for her age. She might like Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Rylant; maybe you read a page, she reads a page.

I'd not push too much right now, not at this age, and try the picture books with text mentioned above. I would want her to be excited about what can be found in more elaborate books, which is why I recommend the audio books, and books where the two of you are taking turns reading. Don't make this a discipline issue. :)

Fwiw, none of mine ever liked Magic Treehouse or Junie B.

She might also like Calvin & Hobbes.

I also just thought of Henry & Mudge.

Edited by LibraryLover

My kids are different in this area. All three love to read and will read for hours at a time. Two will devour large books, both fiction and nonfiction. My third simply loses interest in large books.

She loves to read all types of books, but usually in small doses. She loves history books like SOTW and others, but often insists on only reading one chapter a day. It doesn't matter if the chapter is two pages or fifty. That is what she will read. Then she will move on to other material. I subscribe to magazines (love Calliope and Cobblestone) for her so she can read shorter articles.

I tried to force her to read longer fiction literature works, but she just does not enjoy it (yet). I chose to back off because I want reading to stay an enjoyable activity for her.

You say you read classics to her? No wonder she finds JBJ and those types of books boring and insipid. She's comparing to the rich and wonderful language of the ones she being read.

Can you find some very well written, shorter chapter books for her?

You say you read classics to her? No wonder she finds JBJ and those types of books boring and insipid. She's comparing to the rich and wonderful language of the ones she being read.

Can you find some very well written, shorter chapter books for her?

I wish that was true, Chris. Boo finds the ACT of reading boring. I have offered her abridged versions of Little House, and other classic lit stories to no avail. I have allowed her to pick the other titles of her choosing, hoping she would start to enjoy reading.

I love my child but she's a little on the lazy side and sometimes I wonder what's going on up there. She has no interest in going to college and wants to be a model :blink: She can't even tell what her favorite thing is when asked. Her favorite phrase is "i dunno".

I'm just afraid if I don't get through to her now, her teen years are not going to be fun, while she follows the pack.

Hmm... not enjoying reading... My son flies through the first half of books with pleasure and then forgets about them, which is a little different and why I feel free to push him to finish them sometimes - after all, he is raving about having liked them a lot of the time. He's just distracted by newer, shinier books, as if reading the same thing two days in a row is such a drag.

I agree with LibraryLover's suggestions. Give her easier books, even if it's below her level. And I also was going to suggest Cobblestreet Cousins or Lighthouse Family. Or maybe Nate the Great.

But you might also give her picture books. Those aren't babyish (at least, they don't have to be) and many of them have higher vocabulary levels and richer sentences anyway. Try longer ones like One Morning in Maine or funny ones like The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups or The Stinky Cheese Man. It seems like things she can finish in one sitting are probably good anyway. And if you do longer books, you might read back and forth with her more.

Long story short: if you know your child is full capable of reading and comprehending the books she selects, but in the ends she basically jumps from book to book without finishing the first; would you reach a point where you would say, no more books until you finish this one?

My daughter reads well (a year above her age level), but finds reading "boring" and only reads for her required amount each day because I require it and not because she is engaged in the book - thus has been book hopping all summer.

Picture books are BABY BOOKS. She very influenced by the books she sees her friends and older kids reading.

The problem is her attitude - reading is BORING and NOT COOL.

I wish that was true, Chris. Boo finds the ACT of reading boring. I have offered her abridged versions of Little House, and other classic lit stories to no avail. I have allowed her to pick the other titles of her choosing, hoping she would start to enjoy reading.

I love my child but she's a little on the lazy side and sometimes I wonder what's going on up there. She has no interest in going to college and wants to be a model :blink: She can't even tell what her favorite thing is when asked. Her favorite phrase is "i dunno".

I'm just afraid if I don't get through to her now, her teen years are not going to be fun, while she follows the pack.

I wonder if you might be expecting too much from her, while not providing books that would actually catch her interest AND be fairly easy for her to read (but way to go with continuing to read classics aloud to her!!). I don't think you have to worry about laziness and teen years and college right now - I think you just have to work at finding some good books for her. And maybe reading the first couple of pages aloud to her, to catch her interest, then hand it over to her to finish herself. Frankly, most of the books you listed would be books that many kids would be jumping around in, too. They are quick reads, but don't capture the heart. They teach kids to digest short blips, instead of inviting them to a nicely cooked meal to linger at the table for. It's no wonder she thinks reading is not cool and is boring. I wouldn't let the influences of friends and older kids dictate her choice of reading material, esp. at 7 when she is still forming reading habits and tastes.

Have you had a look at the literature lists/authors in the WTM book? Check out the grammar stage section. Also, check out this list that will keep her busy and engaged for years:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

As for comprehension, AFTER she gets going with loving reading herself, I would start teaching her to do simple narrations (see the WTM book for how-to). This will more than suffice for the time being.

If she's reading for pleasure, I wouldn't make an issue of the book-hopping. Is she willing to finish books you assign her (if you assign her books)?

My DS tends to series-hop. He'll get super into a series, but then get bored of it maybe half or even three-quarters of the way through.

I would stick to library books if she does a lot of book-hopping. Maybe let her take out a big stack, and then she can hop until she hopefully finds one that she likes?

I wonder if you might be expecting too much from her, while not providing books that would actually catch her interest AND be fairly easy for her to read (but way to go with continuing to read classics aloud to her!!). I don't think you have to worry about laziness and teen years and college right now - I think you just have to work at finding some good books for her. And maybe reading the first couple of pages aloud to her, to catch her interest, then hand it over to her to finish herself. Frankly, most of the books you listed would be books that many kids would be jumping around in, too. They are quick reads, but don't capture the heart. They teach kids to digest short blips, instead of inviting them to a nicely cooked meal to linger at the table for. It's no wonder she thinks reading is not cool and is boring. I wouldn't let the influences of friends and older kids dictate her choice of reading material, esp. at 7 when she is still forming reading habits and tastes.

I agree. I wonder if her reading is not as good as she/you think and reading is still "work" for her, not fun. At some point, her reading level and interest in the book will meet at the perfect level for reading to become "fun." Finding the right book for that to happen can be a challenge. As long as she is reading (whether she finishes the book or not,) her reading level will improve and she will eventually get to the point where she can read books that do interest her.

The books I mentioned in my first post are not 'picture books '. They are 'illustrated chapter books'. :) They are transitional books for new readers. :) She thinks reading is "boring" right now because she is finding it difficult. Once she grows a bit, she may start to devour books. Relaxing a little now could help change her mind once she becomes an older and stronger reader. It's not just about decoding at this age.