Menu

aaarrgg! about the time I think I can relax. . .

Our new city pool has 2-3 lifeguards on duty at all times and they really seem to do their jobs very well. Today there was a teen boy there with his 3 younger siblings, one about 10/11, another 4ish and a less than 2 yr. old. The two youngers had on life jackets, the 10/11 boy was VERY good at playing with the littles, oldest(15/16ish) sat in a chair and looked at his phone. The youngest wimpered and whined the whole hour we were there while mostly sitting on the steps. Just before closing, lots of noodles in the water and I hear the manager yell and a mom jump in, the littlest was face down in the water WITH her life jacket on! The lifeguards hadn't seen her(mostly due to all the pool noodles) and the older brother never left his chair. Just looked up. The 10/11 came to her where a mom had gotten her out and took care of her. It happens IN A FLASH, with all those adults around AND life jackets. . . . can you tell I'm a nervous nelly about water????:001_unsure:

Scary! But for the future, that means her life jacket didn't fit. I do think some folks might let down their guard when they see little kids with life jackets, since life jackets do work. If they are the proper fit.

I wondered if that was the problem since it was even one of those with the pillow thing at the neck. Wish her parents had been there to see so they would know to fix it. I'm not sure the incident will even be mentioned to them since the oldest took no real notice and the 10/11 is a boy(mine probably wouldn't think to mention it.)

I wondered if that was the problem since it was even one of those with the pillow thing at the neck. Wish her parents had been there to see so they would know to fix it. I'm not sure the incident will even be mentioned to them since the oldest took no real notice and the 10/11 is a boy(mine probably wouldn't think to mention it.)

The pillow is fine. This doesn't tell the whole story, but it shows what a proper fit looks like.

Edited by LibraryLover

Who would send kids that little with a teenager? Nuts.

I was at a private pool party yesterday...pool was small and only 4 feet deep, but a little 4 year old forgot she didn't have her swim suit floaty thing on and jumped in. Her mom was talking to me and half dozen other adults were right there....I am the only one who saw it. I jumped up and flipped off my shoes and was about to go in....a friend was right behind the little girl with his baby so I yelled at him to grab her and he did. He had his back to her though and didn't see that she was going under. It was so scary. It can certainly happen in a flash.

Once, when my niece was little, she was swimming back and forth between my sister and I and she was floundering before we realized what was happening. We were talking and our eyes were more focused on each other than on her, apparently, even though we thought we were watching her. Drowning is not the big noisy ruckus people think - it's pretty silent....

At 2 years old, mine weren't even allowed in the main pool without me or another adult within arm's length (swim vest or not). Kiddie pools only, and even then only when I was there watching! Unbelievable that a teenager that old would not be devastated by such an obvious error made. :(

I keep waiting for the pool to state that no 'little' children can be left without an adult. Last year a mom dropped off a 4 year old daily! You'd think they would have that rule to cover their own behinds but the lady running it today said as long as she was left in the care of the older teen it wasn't against the rules. I'm sorry, but that teen was not in the least bit concerned about a single thing that happened.

Yikes!! Yes, pools totally freak me out. And we have one in our backyard!. Honestly, I don't even trust DH out there to watch the kids. The 7 year old is fine. But the 4 year old still can't tread water. If DH says he's taking the kids swimming, I usually sit out there too. Today I stayed inside to vacuum...and peek out the window. Our 15 year old nephew is visiting and DH got to horsing around with him, completely taking his eyes off of our kids. DD4 was fine....but in the 3 or 4 minutes he was horsing around with his nephew, DD could have easily gone under. I was not happy. Seriously, I watch the kids EVERY second that they are in the pool. I may read a book, but they are ALWAYS in my peripheral vision.

I'm not sure if it is all men or just my DH, but he is easily distracted with other things and will sometimes not give his full attention to watching the kids.

If a person is actually drowning, it's silent. You need air in your lungs to make noise, and if there is no air--there is no noise.

Also, a person's instinctive response is to push their arms down, as if you were trying to push yourself out of the water. So there is no splashing or waving of arms either.

The person's mouth often stays at the water level, they sort of bob up and down. The problem is that they bob back down before they can get air.

Just a thought in defense of the teen. I live in a town with a lot of low income families. It is summer and both parents are working so the kids are all home alone because said parents can't afford day care or don't want to pay it. The older teen is supposed to supervise the younger ones 5 days a week. That is a lot to ask of a teen. They get resentful and burnt out and I can't blame them. We have so many young kids left alone unsupervised all summer that the town offers summer camp in the morning and then in the afternoon they are allowed at the town beach by themselves once they are eight. Yes I said eight. I would never let my child at the beach alone at that age. The poor life guards get to be babysitters for the afternoon. I'm not trying to justify this teens actions but I have to wonder what has made him not care about his little sister.

Yikes!! Yes, pools totally freak me out. And we have one in our backyard!. Honestly, I don't even trust DH out there to watch the kids. The 7 year old is fine. But the 4 year old still can't tread water. If DH says he's taking the kids swimming, I usually sit out there too. Today I stayed inside to vacuum...and peek out the window. Our 15 year old nephew is visiting and DH got to horsing around with him, completely taking his eyes off of our kids. DD4 was fine....but in the 3 or 4 minutes he was horsing around with his nephew, DD could have easily gone under. I was not happy. Seriously, I watch the kids EVERY second that they are in the pool. I may read a book, but they are ALWAYS in my peripheral vision.

I'm not sure if it is all men or just my DH, but he is easily distracted with other things and will sometimes not give his full attention to watching the kids.

This would be me! and no, it's not just your husband. My husband is very safety conscience but more than that. . . he's a boy, easily distracted and very one track focused. Watching kids? good. Playing with one kid and watching others? not good. :tongue_smilie:

If a person is actually drowning, it's silent. You need air in your lungs to make noise, and if there is no air--there is no noise.

Also, a person's instinctive response is to push their arms down, as if you were trying to push yourself out of the water. So there is no splashing or waving of arms either.

The person's mouth often stays at the water level, they sort of bob up and down. The problem is that they bob back down before they can get air.

You are so right, there was not a noise from the little girl and because of her life jacket she really couldn't even swing her arms. We should have known something was wrong because we DIDN'T hear the wimpering/whining from the last hour.

Just a thought in defense of the teen. I live in a town with a lot of low income families. It is summer and both parents are working so the kids are all home alone because said parents can't afford day care or don't want to pay it. The older teen is supposed to supervise the younger ones 5 days a week. That is a lot to ask of a teen. They get resentful and burnt out and I can't blame them. We have so many young kids left alone unsupervised all summer that the town offers summer camp in the morning and then in the afternoon they are allowed at the town beach by themselves once they are eight. Yes I said eight. I would never let my child at the beach alone at that age. The poor life guards get to be babysitters for the afternoon. I'm not trying to justify this teens actions but I have to wonder what has made him not care about his little sister.

This was a Sunday and we're in a small town with very few business's even open so I'm not sure work could be the issue. I do realize lots of kids are winging it and it 'feels' like the pool should be safe because there are life guards. . . but a less than two year old and 4 year old left without adult supervision is bordering on neglect and it takes a LOT for me to throw that word around. I too feel bad for the life guards. I think it would be even worse at a beach vs. a pool.

At 2 years old, mine weren't even allowed in the main pool without me or another adult within arm's length (swim vest or not). Kiddie pools only, and even then only when I was there watching! Unbelievable that a teenager that old would not be devastated by such an obvious error made. :(

At a pool in the next town you were supposed to be within arms length of any kid less than like 10 (virtually IMPOSSIBLE if you have more than 3 kids!) so it's not like pools can't have some kind of rule like this. I hate to think that it would take a drowned child to make them get those rules though.

I wonder if the toddler was just so worn out that she fell asleep. That was a long day for her.

Our pools want an adult to be with each nonswimmerr in the wate if the water is deeper than the child's chest and they must remain within arm's length . The situation of a 4 year old and a toddler with a teen wouldn't have happened.

I personally wouldn't allow my teen to lifeguard in such an unsafe pool.

You know, that could have been what happened because I never saw her leave the top step unless the 10/11 yr. old had her and she was miserable. In regards to the bolded I wonder how much trouble the pool owners and life guards would have been in from the parents if something had happened to the little girl? :glare:

At our local pool a child under 10 cannot be in the pool without someone 14 years or older IN the pool with them, right beside them at all times AND they have 4 lifeguards. The pool really isn't all that big either. They enforce it too, constantly asking where a child's guardian is. I've seen fights break out over these rules but they still enforce. Yesterday, I saw a parent a 10 year old and 2 year old. The parent insisted that the 10 year old was more than capable but unless the parent was IN the pool they wouldn't allow it. She even said she would put her feet in the water and the 10 and 2 year olds would stay near her. Nope. Then she said she and the two year old would sit on the steps and the 10 year old would swim. They threatened to clear the pool if they even tried that. The mother was all nice about it and understood the rules but the lifeguard was on a power trip and kept berating her until she left.

At our local pool, you only have to be 8 or older to be dropped off! I would never allow my 8 year old to go to the pool while I leave and go find something else to do. My 12 year old, maybe...possibly...but it hasn't happened yet (so probably not!).

Maybe because I took lifeguard training classes as an adult and the quickness of drowning has been burned in my brain, I'm a little more hyper-vigilant about this stuff, but I'm with you. My 13 year old? m a y be

My 8 and 5 year old? NOT!

At our local pool a child under 10 cannot be in the pool without someone 14 years or older IN the pool with them, right beside them at all times AND they have 4 lifeguards. The pool really isn't all that big either. They enforce it too, constantly asking where a child's guardian is. I've seen fights break out over these rules but they still enforce. Yesterday, I saw a parent a 10 year old and 2 year old. The parent insisted that the 10 year old was more than capable but unless the parent was IN the pool they wouldn't allow it. She even said she would put her feet in the water and the 10 and 2 year olds would stay near her. Nope. Then she said she and the two year old would sit on the steps and the 10 year old would swim. They threatened to clear the pool if they even tried that. The mother was all nice about it and understood the rules but the lifeguard was on a power trip and kept berating her until she left.

I hate to say it but that would probably be overkill for me even. I do think the adults being PRESENT is huge and maybe even actually IN the water with anyone under 4/5. . . My 10 year old wouldn't be anywhere near where our 5 year old hangs out at the pool, he's like a fish. So 10 year old is penalized for having a younger sibling? and mom is penalized too?

I actually meant that as my personal rule, rather than a pool rule - but I can see a pool rule for the under-5 crowd. Like anything, though, it should be fairly common sense - if your 5yo is a soon-to-be-olympic swimmer then probably they should be able to test-out of such a rule :)

My 5yo can go in the pool without me right next to him now, as long as he is wearing his vest, but only with a lifeguard and me watching. My 7yo is a confident and capable swimmer - keeping him in arms length as he dives of the diving board would be ridiculous.

A 2 year old, though...

This is extreme to me. My 7 year old can swim and she is tall enough to stand up above the water where she plays. By 10 I was a confident swimmer who spent all my time in the deep end.