Menu

DS is getting fed up; wwyd?

DS goes to PS PT and is homeschooled PT throughout the school year. He began summer vacation in early June. He's got 4 weeks of scheduled vacations with family (sans DH and me). I decided to continue schooling throughout the summer b/c we started classical schooling late (halfway through his 2d grade year, though he's now about 1/2 year away from being "caught up"). We also schooled last summer as well. I didn't start summer school until a few days after PS let out. We did about 1 to 1 1/2 hours/day -- grammar, Latin, history. He also has to read in order to earn time to play video games. He took the first vacation with my mom and during that time they read some history, he continued reading, and they did some multiplication and division flash cards. Really, they spent maybe 2 hours total over a week. Very low key.

Since he's come back home I sort of fell out of our "routine" and he's not done much for a week. Today I decided to get us back on track and intended to do school for about 2 hours. Even though most of what we did involved me reading to him and helping him answer history questions, when we came to him copying a narration he broke down. He complained that none of his friends have to do school over the summer, etc. etc. (that's not entirely true -- at least two are being tutored). It also didn't help that a friend of his came over TWICE during the 1 1/2 hours we were working to see if he could play yet.

I feel like an ogre. I didn't do school as a girl over summer break, neither did my husband or most people. It's important to me that he "catch up" and that he continue honing the skills he's learned. Also, I philosophically disagree with children doing nothing but playing with their friends and doing small chores over the summer. I love the idea of summertime freedom, but too much freedom isn't a good thing.

Is 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week too much given he goes to school throughout the regular school year. Should I reprioritize and drop it down to 3 days a week or 45 minutes 5 days a week or something?????? What would you do?

Can you do some hands-on projects, maybe let him invite a friend for one he's excited about,if there's a friend that would work for that sort of thing? Make sure there's something that's fascinating in there, something that's delight driven?

I don't think there's a thing wrong with requiring something to earn video games. We do something similar: Monkey gets 2 tokens worth abt 45 min each Sunday, but can't use them until school work is done for the day. Some days there's just not time for screen time, and I'm OK with that.

You are the parent and you know what is best for your child. What is the situation during the regular school year? How much does he do at home and how much at school? Does he have a lot of homework? I am schooling year round. Luckily, DS has never really correlated summer with vacation. We go on a lot of trips during the school year since the weather is better, things are less crowded and we pay less so I don't feel at all guilty about that. I would say that you are not asking too much. I would let his friends know that he is not available to play until 11am or whatever time you are finished with school. Every kid has a little attitude about doing work when they would rather play!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I don't think there's anything wrong with schooling year round, if it's working well for everyone. But I don't think you have to. I know you said that you were trying to "catch up", but isn't homeschooling an opportunity to focus on meeting your child's needs at whatever place he's at rather than focusing on catching up to what other kids in a given grade/school/district/state are doing and trying to meet that arbitrary standard?

Given that, I kind of think it's nice to go a little bit lighter during the summer when there are more opportunities camping trips and swimming lessons and trips to the park and just hanging out being bored. Maybe just work on something like math or Latin or whatever is easily forgotten?

Another thought is that you do work at a different time than you usually do. If your son gets his work done by 9 in the morning he could be playing all day. Or you could have him do his work right after dinner, from 7-8? I do think it's nice if you can make summer feel different from the rest of the school year in some way.

I went to public school, but I still had to do workbooks in the summer! We spent maybe an hour a day. Every summer. We hated it, and we whined and complained and moaned. And when we went back to school, and we were the only kids who remember how to multiply, we were secretly glad that we had worked over the summer! I'd never have admitted it to my mom though. :)

a friend of his came over TWICE during the 1 1/2 hours we were working to see if he could play yet.

I would just make it very clear what time he could play. "DS would love to play, but he is busy until 11am every day!"

I agree with the poster who suggested doing activities that go well in groups when possible. We also school year-round, and sometimes we have to block out "our time" but other times, I let the neighborhood on in.

The kids in the neighborhood cannot wait to hear what happens in the next chapter of 1001 Arabian Nights. They ask what time we are doing chemistry. Once in a while, I even allow them to play the Wii (zero volume) in the other room while we finish up math or WWE, because I have found they are actually listening to the lessons and trying to get the answers quietly to themselves before my kids do (I sit where I can see, and I see the head tilt and the lips move).

Some things need to be secluded-- I give ds7 privacy for his PT, or to work on a new topic, or a mop-up day.

But keep going-- you're fine!

Jen

I don't think you are asking too much. But, I second the idea of changing the time. I have been working through one math lesson each night with my dd. It allows her to stay up late, so this adds a little bit of excitement. ( A very, very little bit, but right now it is just the trick we need.)

Please, Please, Please say that you live near me and our kids can become friends! I agree with you 100% 4 weeks vacation in the summer is enough. My kids have a fantastic life - loads of fun. Super cool camps, dive team, grandparents, cousins, etc... in the summer. Spending two hours a day for 6 weeks of the summer - big deal!! Please let's plan for them to meet so that they can stop saying that they are the only ones.

Are you clearly setting expectations? or did you just announce "this morning we are starting back to school for 2 hrs". Even SWB says many children can't handle this...the plan needs to be laid out.

Personally we will drop things to spend time with friends when they are available since we homeschool and some of them are in PS. I think the kids come back more refreshed for having had the break, but my kids are doing stuff they don't see as school. An educational camp, lots of free reading, playing with their robotics kit, learning to type, playing chess ...

I completely agree that doing some schoolwork over the summer is necessary, and what you are doing is not unreasonable. We are also doing about an hour of work per weekday during the weeks that we aren't busy (review math workbooks, reading, writing).

On the other side, I think there is great advantage in trying to get kids on board with the program. Almost all of my kids' friends are in public school, and sometimes my kids complain if they think I am requiring too much. I try to convince my kids that homeschool is better, even from a kid's point of view. First of all, they have no homework as their ps friends do which prevents their friends from being able to play on many occasions during the school year. Also, all kids are supposed to do work over the summer, and the ps teachers give reading and writing assignments for their students to do over break.

I know of homeschool families whose kids are angry and resentful about

homeschooling because the parent pushed too hard. I make my kids work very hard and try to keep on track with a rigorous curriculum, but at the same time I try to get my kids on the same team so that they will have a good attitude and will be positive about homeschooling. I think trying to have a balance in this area will be most beneficial not only for our relationships but also for getting the most accomplished academically.

I think two hours is reasonable. My son tries to make me feel bad when its time for lessons. He says, "Why is it called summer break if I have to do lessons?" I tell him, I want to keep everything fresh in his mind and remind him that he was at summer camp all day playing.