Menu

Update on Literature Component of the MCT Curriculum

love2read

Posted a few hours ago on the RFW board (was this already posted?)

THE LITERATURE COMPONENT OF THE MCT LANGUAGE ARTS CURRICULUM.

Each part will consist of three works of literature together with a

parent/teacher manual. We are beginning with the Alice, Peter and Mole trilogy,

consisting of Alice in Wonderland, Wind in the Willows, and Peter Pan. This is

most appropriate for students at the first or second level of the MCT

curriculum.

Each novel has illustrated language highlights by Michael Clay Thompson

explicating the grammar, vocabulary, poetic techniques, and language strategies

used by the author. Where the original edition contained artwork important to

the tradition of the book, this has been included. The MCT illustrations focus

on the author's use of language with the intention of helping children become

more aware readers. We believe they do not have any parallel in the educational

experience of children.

The parent manual is designed to help you aid your child to become a more

critical, creative, understanding, and aware reader. The books are published in

trilogies to allow you to leverage the reading experience. The three novels are

intended to be read in a particular order, with questions flowing from one novel

to the next and then to all three. Children are encouraged to make comparisons

across all three novels and to regard the reading experience of each in relation

to the others. This provides for a far richer reading experience and aids the

child in developing a broad range of insights into their reading.

A teacher manual for classroom teachers will be published soon.

There is a special price this weekend for members for purchasing the entire

trilogy.

There is also a special price for purchasing the trilogy with a basic or

complete package of a level of the MCT curriculum.

8005 Wind in the Willows $13.00

8012 Peter Pan $13.00

8029 Alice in Wonderland $13.00

8036 Alice, Peter and Mole Parent/Teacher book $10.00

8036A Set of All four books $39.00

8036B Set bought with a Level Package $30.00

During the July 4th weekend, there will be a special price on our website for purchasing the entire trilogy. That special price will end early on the 5th of

July. It will be available on the website beginning on Friday the first of

July.

In the second trilogy are H. G. Wells’s The Time Machine, Mark Twain’s A

Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, and Charles Dickens's A Christmas

Carol. That trilogy will be available this summer.

Tom

Does anyone know what the regular price of the material is?

What's the difference between the homeschool package and the teacher manual? I'm confused.

Finally, I'm assuming the only problem with using our own versions of the texts is that the page numbering won't match the manual (assuming there are page numbers referenced). Anyone know more about this??

Saw the email notice past office hours today. No surprise that no one answered at 5:30pm. (Side note: someone DID answer at Classical Academic Press. Wow!)

I wonder if anyone is ordering anything on from the company besides these books. I was thinking of Classics in the Classroom.

I have that and enjoyed it, but my favorite was:

The Heart of the Mind. The best essay in it was "Give me Rigor or Give me Mortis," very motivational, I read it every few months for inspiration!

I would get this one first, and the other if you want two. I did enjoy the other, just not as much.

I wonder if anyone is ordering anything on from the company besides these books. I was thinking of Classics in the Classroom.
I love Classics in the Classroom. In fact, I just reread it this week. I know someone on these boards one time said they didn't like it because it was just 'preaching to the choir.' But I love the book because it inspires me to continue on this path.
Does Classics in the Classroom have a suggested reading list?
It does at the back, listed alphabetically. I have heard complaints that it isn't broken down by grade/age level, but that doesn't bother me.

I have that and enjoyed it, but my favorite was:

The Heart of the Mind. The best essay in it was "Give me Rigor or Give me Mortis," very motivational, I read it every few months for inspiration!

:tongue_smilie:

Wish I had read this before I placed my order yesterday. That book sounds good!

I ordered: Guide to Literary Terms, Jefferson's Truths and Free at Last; The Language of Dr. King's Speech.

I really like the poetry series. I'm impressed that he (a) teaches poetry analysis to young kids and (b) makes it full of delight. (I was an English lit major, and I really enjoyed poetry analysis.)

I have Classics in the Classroom. I'm one of those who didn't think it was that great, but that was probably because I expected/hoped to get more practical information.

However, I'm very excited by the sample of the literature teacher's manual. This is exactly the kind of inspiration I'd like to own. You can apply the technique to other literature.

I just need to figure out the difference between the teacher manual and the homeschool package. That's not making sense to me.

I really like the poetry series. I'm impressed that he (a) teaches poetry analysis to young kids and (b) makes it full of delight. (I was an English lit major, and I really enjoyed poetry analysis.)

I have Classics in the Classroom. I'm one of those who didn't think it was that great, but that was probably because I expected/hoped to get more practical information.

However, I'm very excited by the sample of the literature teacher's manual. This is exactly the kind of inspiration I'd like to own. You can apply the technique to other literature.

I just need to figure out the difference between the teacher manual and the homeschool package. That's not making sense to me.

Are you talking about the poetry books that come with each homeschool package (e.g. Grammar Island)?

To crazy4latin: Yes.

Before answering, I meant to ask you what you've used from RFP. Unfortunately, I lost the thought. I answered assuming you had no experience with the program.

To Capt_Uhura:

I don't understand why there are two packages available. One is labeled for homeschoolers. If they both have the same four books, why are they coded differently?

To Elizabeth B:

Thanks for the other MCT book recommendation.

To Elizabeth B:

Thanks for the other MCT book recommendation.

You're welcome!

To Capt_Uhura:

I don't understand why there are two packages available. One is labeled for homeschoolers. If they both have the same four books, why are they coded differently?

That is actually kind of what I asked about--I think one is for buying it alone before the 5th, and the second is buying it along with a homeschool package. It looks like they will continue to offer it for $30 if you buy a homeschool package, I was asking if that was true since I plan on buying the next level up in a month or two, and wanted to wait until then if that was true.

You're welcome!

That is actually kind of what I asked about--I think one is for buying it alone before the 5th, and the second is buying it along with a homeschool package. It looks like they will continue to offer it for $30 if you buy a homeschool package, I was asking if that was true since I plan on buying the next level up in a month or two, and wanted to wait until then if that was true.

I noticed that as well. I thought the sale was for $30 this weekend w/ a level of MCT curriculum but perhaps the sale is for $30 and thereafter, $30 w/ a package of MCT materials?

I noticed that as well. I thought the sale was for $30 this weekend w/ a level of MCT curriculum but perhaps the sale is for $30 and thereafter, $30 w/ a package of MCT materials?

That's what I understood.

Oops, I read Capt U’s post wrong. I think we are trying to make this more confusing than it actually is. The special is for the weekend only; if you want to buy the books without a package- you should do it now.

:tongue_smilie:

Edited by lovemykids

To Capt_Uhura:

I am obviously not Capt. Uhura, but there are two different package codes because they will be two different prices after the sale...If you buy it with a package, it will remain at $30, but if you buy it alone, the price will rise to $39...I'm think it is that way now so they can simply change the price of the other without needing to create a new category on Tuesday...

Can you tell us more about this book? I read the description on the RFWP website, but I'd like to know more.

Sure, most of the essays were interesting and thought provoking, although a few were meh.

There are 41 different short essays. It seems like every other one is about gifted education, but even if you have an average homeschooled child, many of the things he talks about in the gifted education essays can be applied with the freedom and flexibility of homeschooling.

In his essay entitled "Content, Hirsch, and Grammar" (he evidently likes that comma, too!) here is a thought provoking statement:

It misses the mark to brand Hirsch as conservative or liberal. An excellent education is beyond such constructs as conservative or liberal.

His essay on The McGuffey Readers is motivational for continuing to homeschool with a classical focus, he talks about how they don't have workbooks or teachers editions but just focus on reading good quality literature.

His essay about the Principia Mathematica was also very interesting to me, I had heard of it but not realized its history and how much perseverance was required for its production.

Edited by ElizabethB

Are you talking about the poetry books that come with each homeschool package (e.g. Grammar Island)?

The entry level (Island) poetics book is called Music of the Hemispheres. Words fail me in describing how impressed I am with this book. The examples (including a number of MCTs own works) are well chosen and vivid. And the depth on analysis is extraordinary for a series aimed at children.

Poetry ought to be accessible to people, especially budding young classical-thinkers, but it is all to often a form of literature that exists at a remove from people's comfort zone.

This book presents poety as something exciting, and alive, and (while not the end of the study) presents more understanding of the formal elements of poetry than I suspect most college grads are exposed to. It is really (really) great!

Bill

The entry level (Island) poetics book is called Music of the Hemispheres. Words fail me in describing how impressed I am with this book. The examples (including a number of MCTs own works) are well chosen and vivid. And the depth on analysis is extraordinary for a series aimed at children.

Poetry ought to be accessible to people, especially budding young classical-thinkers, but it is all to often a form of literature that exists at a remove from people's comfort zone.

This book presents poety as something exciting, and alive, and (while not the end of the study) presents more understanding of the formal elements of poetry than I suspect most college grads are exposed to. It is really (really) great!

Bill

I have the first 3 books in his Poetics Series, which were sitting on the shelf for a year until I decided to use it this year after hearing a talk by Andrew Pudewa on the importance of memorizing poetry. I do agree that this book is wonderful in bringing the beauty of poetry alive to a child and to an adult who never appreciated poetry until she had to for her kid. :blush:

Bill

:iagree:with all of that emphatically.

Sure, most of the essays were interesting and thought provoking, although a few were meh.

There are 41 different short essays. It seems like every other one is about gifted education, but even if you have an average homeschooled child, many of the things he talks about in the gifted education essays can be applied with the freedom and flexibility of homeschooling.

In his essay entitled "Content, Hirsch, and Grammar" (he evidently likes that comma, too!) here is a thought provoking statement:

His essay on The McGuffey Readers is motivational for continuing to homeschool with a classical focus, he talks about how they don't have workbooks or teachers editions but just focus on reading good quality literature.

His essay about the Principia Mathematica was also very interesting to me, I had heard of it but not realized its history and how much perseverance was required for its production.

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered it.