Menu

What type of fridge

Another, we are moving question.

We are looking for a new fridge for our new house. Ok, we don't NEED a new fridge, this would be a WANT. We have one that works fine and is your very basic low end model but our food is cold.

What we want though is one with ice and water. Right now we have a culligan water cooler and want to eliminate that and just have a fridge that has water with a filter on it with ice---I really want cubes and crushed but that might be asking a bit much.

Would you look at side by side? French door top with freezer bottom? Ice and water in the door or inside?

I really want to encourage all of us to drink more water and I know I do if I can get some good tasting COLD water with ICE. (just don't put ice in my pop as that waters it down:lol:).

I am thinking of sticking with white as the dish washer and stove are white and I really don't care about color. THe kitchen has off white vinyl floor with some blues in it, some light blueish counter tops and oak cabinets.

I am basically a function over fashion person and frugal to the max........but I really want ice and water.

Freezer on the bottom. I will never have anything else. Love, love, love having the freezer on the bottom.

I don't care about the french doors. I mean, I'm sure they're fine and all; it's the freezer on the bottom that is important.

We've never had an automatic ice maker or water dispenser on the door. We weren't willing to give up the space for either one, although we might consider an ice maker in the future; we just don't feel the need to have a dispenser on the door. We rarely drink ice water, and the kitchen sink with its reverse osmosis unit (i.e., good water) is *right there.* :-)

I love my French Door Samsung with a freezer on the bottom. It has cubed and crushed ice plus water in the door. I won't drink water from the tap, so this is the only way to go for me. You do give up space to have the in-door water but you don't have to open up the door all the time either. There is so much more usable space than a side-by-side. We bought ours at Lowe's.

Absolutely NO to side by side. Not enough space for wide things.

YES to French door fridge on top with freezer drawer on bottom. Water and ice on outside.

Put the old fridge in the garage and continue to use it ;)

I have a freezer on the bottom with pull out drawers and I LOVE IT! I agree with no side by side. Had one of those years ago and hated it. I have had the freezer on the bottom one now for about 7 yrs so no experience with the French door thing.

By the way I totally agree with putting your old fridge somewhere usable. I have two and really do not know how I would get along with less.

Edited by mom4him

This one is my current idea of perfect:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FGUB2642L.html#BVRRWidgetID

This week anyway...

We are remodeling, and I will need to make a decision soon. :tongue_smilie:

A big consideration for me is fridge to freezer ratio. I want a BIG refridgerator, but I've noticed the 27+ cf'ers do not always have more capacity in the fridge. It's in the freezer. Useless when you have two upright freezers in the basement and lack fresh food storage. Some have so much more freezer space, it's barely more than my current fridge (18 cf total).

The one I linked above has 19 cf fridge space which is slightly more than most of the bigger ones.

Of course, I have yet to see any of these in person.

I love having ice and water on the outside of the door. The kids can get their own drinks (and do). :) I like my side-by-side just fine, but if you know you have wide things the put in the fridge, you should look at French door or "regular" fridge top/freezer bottom models.

I love the idea of the French door refrigerators, but the last time we were shopping for a fridge, I discovered it wouldn't fit into the designated refrigerator space in our kitchen. :confused:

(We did get a narrower fridge with the freezer on the bottom and loved it.)

Take your tape measure!

We have a stainless steel French door, pull-out freezer on bottom LG with ice/water in the door. It was my wedding present from my husband and I adore it. We do a lot of cooking and entertaining and it has soooo much room. I love being able to get commercial sheet pans into it without having to remove everything else.

I love the idea of the French door refrigerators, but the last time we were shopping for a fridge, I discovered it wouldn't fit into the designated refrigerator space in our kitchen. :confused:

(We did get a narrower fridge with the freezer on the bottom and loved it.)

Take your tape measure!

:iagree:

Since we're remodeling, I just made the kitchen fit around the fridge I wanted.

In the current set-up, nothing bigger than 18 cf fits. It's been a bit of a sore spot--especially now with two teen boys and one rapidly growing pre-teen girl.

YES to French door fridge on top with freezer drawer on bottom. Water and ice on outside.

:iagree:This! I just got a freezer-on-the-bottom fridge from a friend who was moving to Okinawa - I will never have anything else as long as I live if I can help it!!!

I have a Samsung freezer on bottom, french door 26!!! cu ft.

One thing I'd add to previous comments...get one with the bumpy front. Not a smooth front. The front I have scratches very very easily. Other than that, it's a member of the fam. Goes if we go :))

Looks like bottom freezer wins out. We will have another freezer in the garage so we don't need too much freezer space.

Some of the bottom freezer fridges do have a lot of freezer space.

Check various models out at AJ Madison if you can before you head to the store. When you click on the "specifications" tab, it shows the amounts allotted to each.

I'm sure the info is available elsewhere. That's just the one I'm aware of.

This will not fit all your criteria at first glance, but you can make it work (well, I don't know your full situation, but I'm planning to make it work :001_smile:) -- we just got a brand new freezerless fridge and I love it. It's big! And cheap! It's only 16.7 cf, but it's all fridge. Right now our freezer is out in the shop, but I'm planning to get a newer one that's about the same size as the fridge to also put in the kitchen, or near it (or somewhere in the house). So, with this option you won't have the ice/water gizmos, but you could keep a sun tea jar (w/spigot) in the fridge, and then have your ice in the freezer. To me, and again I realize this might not be true for you, the very slight inconvenience is completely worth the larger fridge. I got ours at Sears; I think Lowe's has them, too.

:iagree: Yep. This for sure. We actually have 2 side-by-sides (one was ours and one came with the house we bought) and I truly don't love either one. Ours stayed in the garage and now it stores drinks and overflow of cold food (I try and buy in bulk when I can). Yes, they keep cold food cold and frozen food frozen but there is no room for storing big things.

Our new house has a stainless french door fridge with the freezer on the bottom. Yay! :thumbup:

We just got a side-by-side and I hate it! We got it used from someone we know. We plan to sell it and use the money towards one with a freezer on the bottom. I recently got rid of our outdoor fridge and replaced it with a freezer so I need more fridge space and the side-by-side just doesn't have much room. Everything is stacked on top of each other so it is hard to find things.

We recently got a new fridge and the freezer on the bottom is very handy.

One warning: I know you want water/ice in the door but those are more likely to break down then any other part of a fridge. So get your water, but be prepared. It may or may not last as long as a non-water/ice fridge. A lot of side-by-side complaints come from leaky/broken water dispensers.

I started out wanting one with water, but didn't want to be buying another one anytime soon so we did a simple 1-door freezer on the bottom.

Other features to think about:

do you need a lot of condiment space? (we do) Some have more door shelves than others.

door lock?

door alarm? (when ours is open more than 2m a light bell rings

roll out freezer vs. door freezer? (I like the roll out bin)

wide door shelves for milk? (especially if you have some littles that make their own cereal and can't reach over the freezer well)

separate fridge/freezer controls?

special lighting?

Odd cubbyholes/drawers/pullouts? (eh)

I also liked the fridges where the meat/cheese drawer was on the bottom (easy to pull out for lunches) and was long and shallow (easy to find things).