Menu

S/O: If you have a college degree, have you, do you, or will you use it?

Has your degree really collected dust?  

1. 1. Has your degree really collected dust?

• I have never used my degree in a professional job
    • I have used it some but not enough to have made it worth my while
    • I have used it, will use it, or am currently using it
    • I do not have a degree but wanted to take the poll
    • I am glad I went to college, but I never finished
    • I wish I wouldn't have bothered to go to college
    • I am glad I went to college and glad I finished
    • I wish I had gone another route (tech college or similar)
    • Other (just because)

I used my teaching degree in the school system for 10 years. I got my Master's, though, and then had the babies and didn't teach long after my maternity leave. I believe we just broke even in terms of increased pay vs. degree costs. I wish I had passed on that particular degree I suppose.

My husband is using his degree as well.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLUS, if anyone is reading who is seriously considering Pre-Med, it's probably helpful to know that many MED SCHOOLS do not want to see their pre-req's completed at a community college.

I guess I should clarify. Ours actually does not offer "pre-med" but AS in nursing, nuclear medicine, occupational or physical therapy, medical assistant etc. Admissions for some of these programs is quite selective. Guess I was in a hurry.

Obviously, before you take a bunch of classes, you should find out if it's going to help you.

Most of the math classes you listed are offered at high schools here. :001_huh:

I guess I should clarify. Ours actually does not offer "pre-med" but AS in nursing, nuclear medicine, occupational or physical therapy, medical assistant etc. Admissions for some of these programs is quite selective. Guess I was in a hurry.

Ah yes, these are common at our local cc too. They are worthy paths to follow for the right students.

Most of the math classes you listed are offered at high schools here. :001_huh:

They are here too... High school students can't take remedial classes at our local cc. Students have to be 18 years of age and out of high school to take them - and they still offer that many, with so few true college classes.

There are many, many, many people going back to get a degree having hit ceilings in their jobs or needing to change jobs due to the economy and not being able to find one without a degree. They're the main ones who need the remedial classes in math. (I know a couple of the profs.)

My boys take college level classes there (dual enrolled). This past year, for the first time ever, the cc had trouble with parking due to so many more students being enrolled. They had to really enforce parking stickers and still had troubles. (Hubby overheard security guards in conversation while waiting for middle son who wasn't old enough to drive yet.)

Our dual enrollment abilities are draining fast. Many hsers can't get in to classes anymore.

The CC is cutting funding and classes while the enrollment has increased due to more and more students not being able to afford 4 year colleges right out of high school.

They are strongly considering dropping the dual enrollment option here.

Dawn

Ah yes, these are common at our local cc too. They are worthy paths to follow for the right students.

They are here too... High school students can't take remedial classes at our local cc. Students have to be 18 years of age and out of high school to take them - and they still offer that many, with so few true college classes.

There are many, many, many people going back to get a degree having hit ceilings in their jobs or needing to change jobs due to the economy and not being able to find one without a degree. They're the main ones who need the remedial classes in math. (I know a couple of the profs.)

My boys take college level classes there (dual enrolled). This past year, for the first time ever, the cc had trouble with parking due to so many more students being enrolled. They had to really enforce parking stickers and still had troubles. (Hubby overheard security guards in conversation while waiting for middle son who wasn't old enough to drive yet.)

College #3 - Got hooked into the idea of getting a Nursing degree. Was motivated, did much better in my classes than during either of my previous attempts, and got it done. Graduated. Between family stuff, moving, trouble getting my license transferred, and the bad job market overall, I have yet to get a job after more than a year, but I do really hope to sometime soon.

Just to update on this - "sometime soon" ended up being within 48 hours of the post! For a position that I didn't even know existed at the time of the post! :001_smile:

So yes, it should pay off soon.

And I have no debt (student loan debt, anyways), thanks to financial aid and smart choices.

Congrats!

Dawn

Just to update on this - "sometime soon" ended up being within 48 hours of the post! For a position that I didn't even know existed at the time of the post! :001_smile:

So yes, it should pay off soon.

And I have no debt (student loan debt, anyways), thanks to financial aid and smart choices.

I have a bachelor's degree in nursing. I have used it and will use it in the future for it's intended purpose but I also feel like I use it every day that I homeschool my kids. Obviously homeschooling doesn't require a degree but it's made it a whole lot easier for me, particularly with a soon-to-be high schooler.

One of the things I've noticed in my very limited experience with regard to education is a correlation with self-esteem later in life. I have friends with degrees, some advanced degrees, who yes miss working but know that they are capable of college level work. I have other friends who never went to college but became SAHMs and now they don't feel capable of ever doing college level work. They question their intelligence even. I never ever ever want that to be my daughter so yes, I will go in debt if need be so that she has a degree even if she never "uses" it.

:iagree: This is true for me as well, as a nurse, homeschool teacher and woman in my late 40s. My best friend never finished college and bemoans that fact years later. She is now unsettled, unhappy, and with limited choices, although 10 years younger.

This does give me insight for my dc. Dh and I will encourage dc toward "usable" college educations. Now I know why my father did that. At the time, I resented it, but now I am thankful.

I just think that it totally depends on the person and the situation. I went to a 4 year University straight out of HS because that was what was expected; however, I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself and had no idea what was "out there" for me as an option. So, after 3 years of switching majors, wasting my my (worked year-round to help with expenses) and my parents money, I dropped out and joined the Navy. I knew I needed to "get out there" and see what was available.

I "thought" I wanted to eventually go into the medical field (doctor or nursing), but my Navy experience (Corpsman) allowed me to realize that my personality was not fit for a patient care kind of position. It would have been a complete waste to have gone to school for one of those things had I never experienced the environment first. What I did find was that the Lab suited me wonderfully. Lab school in the Navy, along with my basic undergrad classes, gave me an Associates from George Washington University, and once I passed the National Certification Exam, I was extremely marketable in the civilian world (and never had to come out of pocket for the degree). Plus, in the field, with an A.S., I was only making a few dollars less than the Technologists with their B.S. (for me, it was fine, but you will never become a manager, etc.).

I am currently finishing up a B.A. in English (a. because I am interested in the classes and like being a student, and b. because I can do it debt free, and c. because there are future job opportunities that interest me that do require a degree).

DH does not have a degree and does not need one - he is one of the most educated and intelligent people I have ever met. However, when he retires from the military, if he decides to go switch gears and go into some field that requires a degree, he will do it - IF we can do it without the loans...

So, my advice to my kids is... if you are passionate about something that requires a degree, then you [the kid] and we [the parents] will find a way to finance it through work, scholarships, etc... or, unless you've gotten yourself a very nice scholarship, and you just want to go to college for fun and because you don't know what else to do - perhaps you should go out and live in the real world for a couple years and see what you are truly interested in.

I have an undergraduate degree (honors) in business with a minor in theatre, a master's in theatre and training with a professional dance company as an apprentice. I use it all daily. I own a performing arts academy. For that I use all three degrees. The honors work for my degree is really helping with my homeschooling. Between that and work for my MA, I gained great research skills and improved my grammar skills. I still need review, but I am confident in my ability to learn it again and pass on solid knowledge to my kids.

Could I do what I do without a degree? Yes, but I know what I do is better because I continued my education. I have a broader knowledge base in my field. I do have to look things up, but I have all of my books and I know what book to look in.

I do believe there are some fields where you don't need a full college education. But I think something post high school is beneficial (trade school, apprenticeship, or a few classes in advanced computer and typing skills). I am currently looking for some online course for my self as continuing education. You are never done learning and college is one way to keep on that path. I don't think it is worth the debt if you don't plan to work in the field to pay it back.

I have a BA in comparative literature, and an MLIS. I have always worked in libraries. I went to an eminent public university and got a great grant/loan which paid for a good chunk of my tuition. The deal was that after graduation, if you paid half the money back (interest-free!), the rest would be forgiven. My parents and my jobs filled in the rest. I paid off the loan quite a while ago.

My husband has a bachelor's in CS from the same university and has been a software engineer ever since. He did workstudy and had loans, which we paid back in a few years. His parents were (and are) very poor.

I certainly expect my daughters to go to college. I will advise them to major in something practical (that is, not literature or other humanities) unless they have a clear plan to turn a humanities degree into a real job. "I like to read" is not a good reason to be a lit major (despite my example!). I would be thrilled to support them in STEM majors.

With the price of the UC system going through the roof, I'm kind of aiming for BYU for them, because it's still quite reasonably priced. They are welcome to go to Stanford if they can get grants to cover everything!

There is a college bubble, but I think there are ways around it. It helps a lot if you don't decide to major in women's studies at a pricey college; practicality is important, but 18yo's aren't usually very practical.

In defense of some CC's. We live on the West Coast and dh went to a cc many years ago, then transferred to a 4-year university and found their math classes easier than at the cc. This particular CC has an excellent reputation in CA. So...just saying not all CC's are a waste of time. But they do definitely cost a lot less than 4-year institutions.

I have used my degree but it is now obsolete. Also, if I want to further my education (get my Bachelors) I must re-take ALL the classes that I took to receive my Associates! Talk about frustrating! If I were to look for a job in my field I would have to justify my self-employment experience, but sadly, would not be considered for many jobs that list a minimum of a BA is required.

I have multiple Bachelor's Degrees. I was able to pay cash for all of my schooling, so no loans or debts - even as an out-of-state student.

I work outside of the home, and didn't need a degree to get hired. The only promotion for me would be to middle-management; I don't think a degree is required, though it's probably desireable. I do face the threat of a layoff from time to time, but since we don't rely on my income it's not really a concern.

I don't plan on doing any other job, so no - I don't think I'll ever use my degree to get hired/promoted. I don't regret attending school, but my mindset has been to earn a degree for education's sake and not necessarily as an investment. The only time this wasn't accurate was my first degree; my family required a "real" degree, nothing liberal arts or fluffy (seemed fair enough to me, since they were paying.)

I have a degree... thankfully my military benefits have paid for most of it.

But, I don't use my degree. I took 14 yrs to finish college, graduated in 2004. Well, I do substitute teach occassionally when we have higher medical expenses than usual. But that is it.

I am glad that I finished college. It was something I just had to do for me. When I was in 7th grade a science/math teacher I had said to me "I hope you aren't thinking of going to college because you will be lucky to graduate high school". Well, thankfully I had parents who didn't give up on me and encouraged me to keep trying my best. Finally in 9th grade it all clicked and I did great in high school. Joined the Navy and qualified with ease into aviation electronics. Once out of Navy I started college and at one point was even majoring in bioengineering.. one of the most difficult engineering programs at the university. Bummer I didn't finish... long story there and not to do with academics but with health.