Menu

Literature for Africa? Recommendations needed

Kipling

I am looking at doing a 2-3 week study of Africa. Does anyone have any literature books they would recommend for elementary kids that would go well with that? My kids are first and third grade, but they read above grade level, so books for any age elementary would be good (can be picture books, chapter books, or read alouds).

TIA

I'm currently reading the Anna Hibiscus books by Atinuke, who also has a book about a boy detective (only one out so far). You can order some of them from Amazon and all from Book Depository, btw. They never say where they are set but the author is Nigerian.

I adore this book from South Africa : One Child, One Seed. And Niki Daly has many books, including several about a little girl named Jamela, set in S. Africa. Your library probably has some. I also love Tololwa Mollel's books (he's from Tanzania), illustrated by EB Lewis, especially My Rows and Piles of Coins.

I recently saw this lesson plan too

http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/byrnes-africa/aindex.htm

Here's a list on Amazon with some reasonable suggestions.

Edited by stripe

Sundiata: Lion King of Mali, by David Wisniewski. The nonfiction book The Kingdoms of Ghana, Mali, and Songhay was over my ds7's head. We're finishing up SOTW2.

Edited by sagira

There are lots of books about Wagari Maathai the Johnny Appleseed of Kenya.

http://www.amazon.com/Planting-Trees-Kenya-Wangari-Maathai/dp/0374399182

There are a ton of picture books about her, so you can plan some contrast and comparison lessons on the art work.

Yes, this is the one with the most text, the others have more pictures. It's on sale for $6.80 right now.

Mama Panya's Pancakes is a stone soup tale.

Either Beatrice's Goat or One Hen by Katie Milway for a story how livestock changed lives. My son liked One Hen better but that may be because we read it first. The stories are pretty similar.

We read two of the Wangari tree books and one was significantly better but I can't remember which was which. I think it was the one with less words.

We read all of the Anansi books by Eric Kimmel. Anansi and the Talking Melon was a huge hit. Anansi and the Moss Covered Rock was also well liked.

I'll give another vote to Ashanti to Zulu: African Traditions. It describes a different tribe for each letter.

My son also really enjoyed Seven Spools of Thread: A Kwanzaa Story. It is a folktale about kente cloth.

We read quite a few books about Africa but these were the ones that my six year old liked best.

Nice List! :-) No books for Israel, which I'm studying right now, but some nice ones for Italy which is next.

Try this one:

Nachshon, Who Was Afraid to Swim: A Passover Story, Deborah Bodin Cohen

It is listed for Egypt, because it is for Passover, but it would do nicely for Israel.

Try this one:

Nachshon, Who Was Afraid to Swim: A Passover Story, Deborah Bodin Cohen

It is listed for Egypt, because it is for Passover, but it would do nicely for Israel.

Thanks! I just put it on hold :-) I have fallen in love with picture books after I bought a few curricula that teach how to use them with older students as mentor texts and art appreciation and so many other things.

I want Nelson Mandella's Favorite Folk Tales when I do Africa.

http://www.amazon.com/Mandelas-Favorite-African-Folktales-Accolades/dp/0393052125

Edited by Hunter

Seconding Anna Hibiscus, which is just lovely and I didn't know she had one about a boy. Thanks, Stripe! Also, for older kids, The Ear, the Eye and the Arm is one of my favorites.

Lots of good picture books. Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters has long been one of my favorites.

Edited by farrarwilliams