Menu

Homeschool names?

mhaddon

for years, ours was GrayDash Academy

(my older son's middle name is Grayson, my younger son's middle name is Dashiell)

when we moved from Alaska to Washington state, my older son went to a private high school for 2 years

our school (with my younger son) was called Morningside Academy

(just because we liked the word!)

after my older son came back home (to self educate), we just started calling it Free School

(as in "we are all free again" from the school's constraints!)

nothing official though

and i've been wondering what to write on my older son's diploma this year

he is a recent graduate :)

Edited by amlee

Right now we are Cornerstone Classical Academy. We have a huge number of oaks in the yard so I wanted to be Shady Oaks Academy (or Classical Academy) but that seems like a better name for a retirement home than a school. I'm still undecided but I would like to pick something official.

That's ours too! I love the verse "... a precious cornerstone that is safe to build on. Whoever believes need never be shaken." Isaiah 28:16 Cornerstone is a pretty common thing to name something Christian, so now I wonder if we will keep it. But I love that verse, and our mascot is the Saints, because well...duh! But also because my DH is a die hard NO Saints fan.

A bit of a mouthful but I've named us:

East Meets West Country Day School

Our family name is West and our children were born in China, hence the EMW part. One of the posh private schools in town used to be called XYZ Country Day School even though it was in the middle of town and that name has always tickled me. We plan to move to the country in the next few years so I put it all together. Not sure if it will stick but I thought it was fun. I've even been working on a logo.

Pam

Now that our oldest is a rising first grader, we are getting serious about turning our basement into a dedicated home school space. Thus it is now officially:

The Home School Dungeon

This would amuse us under any circumstances, but the fact that we have so many friends who are horrified that we are home schooling puts extra awesomesauce on top.

:thumbup1: :hurray:

Love this!

We don't really need a name, but we wanted to come up with one just for fun. We ended up with two. :)

My husband wanted to name it after an inspirational woman since we have two daughters. After much discussion, we agreed to name it after the astronomer Maria Mitchell. That's the name I use on paperwork.

My 5 year old says she goes to Oak Tree School since we have oaks in our front yard. That's the name we use in everyday conversation.

Now that our oldest is a rising first grader, we are getting serious about turning our basement into a dedicated home school space. Thus it is now officially:

The Home School Dungeon

This would amuse us under any circumstances, but the fact that we have so many friends who are horrified that we are home schooling puts extra awesomesauce on top.

this is hilarious!

(i had to read it to my family)

Some goo ones! I have two I've thought of

Old dirt road academy we don't live on one but makes me think of the Brooks and Dunn song

Garden of knowledge academy. We are a big harden family and plan on doing a business with it in the next few years.

I'd rather be fishing academy. Lol goofy but fits my son. Our daily argument/bribe

My husband calls my 3 daughters his "3 graces" and my son thinks St. Michael is cool, so we are officially

Tri-Grace and St. Michael's Academy.

We had originally named our school Fountain of Learning Academy after the street we lived on, but we also moved. Oh well.

Those of you who don't have to name your school...did you have to file a notice of intent in your state?? What did you put down on the letter of intent for school name?? The name you came up with or did you just put "homeschool"??

Has anyone NOT named their school but had to file a letter of intent? What did you put down?

Kingsley Academy- after the dog. :001_smile: He's the principal. ;) I threaten to send the kids out to the principal with pb on their nose if they misbehave. I haven't actually done that yet, but it's tempting at times.:tongue_smilie:

Ought thank you for the morning chuckle! This one cracked me up!

Those of you who don't have to name your school...did you have to file a notice of intent in your state?? What did you put down on the letter of intent for school name?? The name you came up with or did you just put "homeschool"??

Has anyone NOT named their school but had to file a letter of intent? What did you put down?

In AZ, we didn't have a school name but we had to file an affidavit with the local school district. It just listed our actual names and our intent to homeschool. In CA, you file as a private school and thus we created our official homeschool name.

Depends on how much confusion the reader can take.

Gealach (hard g, gee ah lock) Draiocht (ree okt) Latin School is what I use when I want to be mistaken for a school. Our last name is Draiocht, just after it was put through the handy dandy Ellis Island simplifier, and Gealach means moon.

When it would be pretentious to sound like a school, I say "[last name] family homeschool" and don't bother with the long form.

I also use The Institute for the Incurably Curious, when I feel like being funny.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Right now we are Abbey Road Preschool, which was my husband's idea because he loves The Beatles. I humored him because I figured it didn't matter and it made him happy. I don't know what we will be later, although whatever it is will probably be a bit more serious sounding and yet still awesome.

Ours is Red Oak Classical Academy.

We used to have a farm which was covered with red oaks and we ran a horse boarding business called Red Oak Stables. My two oldest loved that farm and those trees and have really great memories of that home. Our last name is Oakes too. We vowed that when we move sometime next year (keep fingers crossed) we will name our property Red Oakes.:D

My ds named ours when he was 5, since in CA we have to file with a name. It is OakLeaf Academy. We even have a mascot (barn owl) and school colors (red, green & gold) just for fun! Oh, and we have a motto "Learning from the Roots Up"

Edited by momto2Cs

Bent Grass Prep School (for boys). Our last name means "bent grass meadow" and James Bond thought "meadow" sounded girly, so we just went with Bent Grass. We opted to be a Prep school instead of an academy because a lot of times academy connotes a secondary school.

Right now we are Abbey Road Preschool, which was my husband's idea because he loves The Beatles. I humored him because I figured it didn't matter and it made him happy. I don't know what we will be later, although whatever it is will probably be a bit more serious sounding and yet still awesome.

LOL! If James Bond had thought of this, I'm sure that's what we'd have been called. I just told him about it and his eyes lit up. I assured him I was NOT changing our school name. Han Solo's real name has "something" to do with the Beatles, but no, it's isn't John, Paul, George or Ringo. ;)

Edited by Mom in High Heels