Menu

s/o Baby Holders...Slings?

One of my concerns is how to manage a newborn and beyond one armed.

I've never used a sling, but it *seems* like it would be a solution. There are some issues though.

I can't have any pressure on my right shoulder/arm at all, so a typical front pack is no good.

The side wearing seems like it would work, but I've no idea if that can work with a wee one, or only older babies, or which sling would be best.

I don't have the budget to buy more than one and test them out, so some guidance would really be appreciated.

And yes, I posted on the babywearing forum. :001_smile:

If you can find a babywearing group near you, they usually meet once a month and will bring different types of carriers and help you try them on and figure out what would work best for you. TheBabyWearer.com has a "Babywearers Near You Forum" where you could look to find your local support group. It's really hard to guess without actually trying a few out IRL.

This mama makes nice quality, affordable slings: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/

She's a regular poster on thebabywearer.com . The shoulder on her slings are known for being pretty forgiving. If you look on the for sale or trade area of TBW, you should be able to find one less expensively. They abbreviate this seller as SBP in the FSOT listings.

Do your babies stay light for awhile, or do they get chubby fast?

ETA: This is the hold I would recommend for a new baby. I froggied his legs in for the first two months or so. The cradle hold can be more difficult to do safely.

Edited by Annie

It's also up to the child.

I so wanted to use a sling. My son, though, wanted to "see the world." He was never content to lie in a sling. I finally gave up and went with the front-carrier, as he was happiest when he could see what was going on around him. I know that doesn't help your situation, but just wanted to add that as a consideration before you invest in a sling.

(Should add: DS was in NICU for the first month, so he was older before I could try a sling.)

This mama makes nice quality, affordable slings: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/

She's a regular poster on thebabywearer.com . The shoulder on her slings are known for being pretty forgiving. If you look on the for sale or trade area of TBW, you should be able to find one less expensively. They abbreviate this seller as SBP in the FSOT listings.

Do your babies stay light for awhile, or do they get chubby fast?

Well...I've had 2 babies over 9 lbs at birth. My last 2 were 7 15 and 7 5. They gain roughly 1 lb every 7 - 10 days or so, for the first while so they tend to bulk quickly.

I really like a ring sling because it sizes up as the baby grows...the ring sling I got when ds was 5 lbs still works when ds is 30 lbs. Also make sure the child is in the sling correctly because incorrect use can lead to things like suffication...I used the tummy hold a lot with ds when he was a little guy because I felt the other holds were scarier to make sure he was safe in

With a 12 yo girl in the house, you may not even need a sling. Your left arm is going to get stronger to compensate. If your budget is low (or you're feeling creative), you can actually buy the rings and sew a sling yourself. My aunt, years ago, made her own sling out of a bedsheet. For me, I've had my sling with both and enjoyed using it, but I enjoy sitting and being waited on while holding the baby even more. Remember you can always opt for that option. Stop the world, stop everything, and just enjoy. :)

Will your arm get better soon? I hope so, mercy. Enjoy your birth.

With a 12 yo girl in the house, you may not even need a sling. Your left arm is going to get stronger to compensate. If your budget is low (or you're feeling creative), you can actually buy the rings and sew a sling yourself. My aunt, years ago, made her own sling out of a bedsheet. For me, I've had my sling with both and enjoyed using it, but I enjoy sitting and being waited on while holding the baby even more. Remember you can always opt for that option. Stop the world, stop everything, and just enjoy. :)

Will your arm get better soon? I hope so, mercy. Enjoy your birth.

No. My arm will never get better. Its been this way for 3 yrs, and the damage is perm.

Well...I've had 2 babies over 9 lbs at birth. My last 2 were 7 15 and 7 5. They gain roughly 1 lb every 7 - 10 days or so, for the first while so they tend to bulk quickly.

Hmmmm... If the get heavy fast, I would lean to a woven wrap that has been converted to a ring sling, but it gets confusing fast with all of the different options and abbreviations. A nice linen might be supportive enough though.

I did without on some other baby items in order to get a good sling. I don't know how people manage without them.

When the time comes, if you're interested in a wrap conversion, I'd be happy to help you wade through FSOT listings. The ladies on TBW are experts if you want to ask them. :)

It's also up to the child.

I so wanted to use a sling. My son, though, wanted to "see the world." He was never content to lie in a sling. I finally gave up and went with the front-carrier, as he was happiest when he could see what was going on around him. I know that doesn't help your situation, but just wanted to add that as a consideration before you invest in a sling.

(Should add: DS was in NICU for the first month, so he was older before I could try a sling.)

Just FYI, babies can sit up in slings. Mine did all the time. They sit Indian-style (or whatever the PC term for that is these days :001_smile:) in front, facing out. I used to have a dark green sling and one guy told me she looked like a baby in a Michelin tire! People used to ask me where her legs where.

If you do it like this, it's good to keep one hand on their chest lightly, in case they decide to lean forward suddenly.

Based on your requirements, I would go with an adjustable fleece pouch. It will be easier to use than a ring sling, which might be difficult to adjust with only the use of one arm on the side of the rings. The stretch in the fabric will give you a tighter fit without adjustment on the fly, which means a more comfortable wearing experience. (Tight and high is better for the back.) Adjustable means you'll be able to use it for longer by adjusting the size as you lose baby weight and/or as baby grows and needs more space. It also gives you a greater possibility of being able to share the carrier between more than one adult, though this does depend on how close in size the two people are.

Kangaroo Korner makes a lovely adjustable fleece pouch that is very user friendly. I'm sure there are other options on the market now as well if you want to check at TBW.

You could also look at a Hotslings fleece pouch. It's not adjustable, but it's a quality product that will be less expensive and probably easier to come across used.

On a lot of ring slings, you can wear them over whichever shoulder.

When dd was born, we used a pouch because it was easier and seemed more secure. After about a month or two, I used a wrap, then at around 5-6mo went to a ring sling because it was quick to get her in and out. We used the ring sling and a mei tai backcarrier from about 5-6mo until she was around 2yo or so.

There are lots of youtube videos to show you how to wear and the different kinds of options.

Babywearing is very addicting :D

Kangaroo Korner makes a lovely adjustable fleece pouch that is very user friendly. I'm sure there are other options on the market now as well if you want to check at TBW.

I had several different slings and such, but my KK pouch was my fav and "go to". I was still carrying ds in it when he was 3 (just on my hip for a quick run into the grocery or the like), but it's still in great shape. Looks almost new still. I highly recommend!! :001_smile:

I had an adjustable fleece pouch that I loved, but I cannot imagine using it with a newborn given your limitations. It was dang near baffling to figure out how to get him in there with two well-functioning arms. :tongue_smilie: I'm a little spatially challenged, though. ;)

I had an adjustable fleece pouch that I loved, but I cannot imagine using it with a newborn given your limitations. It was dang near baffling to figure out how to get him in there with two well-functioning arms. :tongue_smilie: I'm a little spatially challenged, though. ;)

Danielle, did you have another carrier that you found easier to use? Was that your first experience with baby carriers? Just curious as I have a lot of experience teaching people to babywear and pouches usually seem to be the easiest for people to figure out due to the lack of adjusting required. (Ring slings have always seemed to be the most challenging, even more so than wraps!)

Not useful until six months or so, but I have one of those frame backpack type carriers (Tough Traveler) that I recently started using. I'd been using a mei tai up to that point, but had started having some serious shoulder pain on one side (the side I wear the sling on. Don't know if that's cause or coincidence), so I switched to the backpack. Even though it goes over both shoulders, most of the weight rests on the hips - I can use it even when the mei tai is actively causing me pain because it really doesn't put any weight on the shoulders when properly adjusted.

The lactation nurse at my hospital gave me excellent instruction on baby wearing. I don't know if you have one near you, but mine was available to us any time we called her with issues well after our baby was born. Our local baby gear consignment store does baby wearing classes. Never went to one, but the owner helped me try on one when I was shopping one time.

I ended up with a Moby wrap but I have no idea if they would be best for your situation. My second was the opposite of yours ... gained weight very, very slowly!

I agree with a ring sling. I have tons of slings. Too many, for sure. But ring slings are great and even work great with really big babies.

:iagree: I LOVE ring slings. My babies are born 8-10 lbs and I wear ring slings from the hospital to well into toddlerhood. SBP is a wonderful affordable suggestion. Also, Comfy Joey

Also, not sure with the limitation with your arm (I also have problems with one of my arms and so I am very picky, but I find I am able to use woven wraps (does not place the pressure a front pack or other soft structured carrier does). A great newborn one that last a long time is the Bali Baby Stretch, they are wonderful for hands free getting stuff done from the beginning.

Also, whether wearing in a sling or wrap, I suggest the tummy to tummy or heart to heart hold, where baby is upright on you. Lying in a cradle position is much more challenging to get "correct" and can cause impeded breathing if not done correctly.

Ring slings are no good if you have arm or shoulder issues (painful, in fact...I have problems with one of my arms/shoulders...actually have lost use of the arm off and on throughout the years). A hotsling may or may not be good (still supported by one shoulder). You may want to look into a mobywrap or some other wrap (5yds of fabric). You can wrap where the support is evenly distributed through the shoulders and back and there are many ways of holding a baby in it as they grow.

Problem I can see with the wraps is there's no way on Earth I could do them myself. I'd have to get Wolf to strap me in before going to work and wear it all day long. And get him to teach Diva.

If you can handle the weight across your back, and the little that will go on your shoulder, I would agree that a wrap would be best. I would go with a Moby Wrap in that case, and tie it on so that you put the baby in last. Then you're basically wearing it like a shirt and taking baby in and out as needed. You might need help adjusting and making it tighter at some point throughout the day, but you can keep it on that way fairly easily, especially with a little one.

This is actually hands down my first recommendation based on comfort, but I didn't recommend it at first because of your stipulation that you couldn't take any weight at all on your one shoulder/arm.

Do you have any use in your arm at all? If not, I would again say that a ring sling will likely be difficult for you to use. You will need to adjust a ring sling with one hand while supporting the weight of the baby with the other arm. Hmm... this could work if you got a sling made with a knit fabric, such as the Mama Baby. That way you could adjust it nice and snug before putting baby in and not need to do much more than a little tug afterwards.

I never lie my babies down in slings; I keep vertical -- tummy to tummy with me when they're tiny, and then gradually moving more toward the side, until eventually, they're sitting on my hip.

I'm right-handed, but I am weird and prefer the sling to be on my left shoulder, meaning the baby ends up more on my right hip, and I have my right hand most free to put around the baby or to do stuff around the house. I realize that many right-handed people prefer to have the sling on their right shoulder. So if you're right-handed but can't have any pressure on that arm, it's still very possible that you can use your left shoulder for the sling and keep your right arm free.

Jan's Sleeping Baby slings are really nice and very affordable. I have one of them and have been very pleased with it. Making your own sling is also very easy and inexpensive. I would recommend the rings from slingrings.com. If you buy them in a local store, you want completely solid rings, nothing that can open at all. When I made my first sling (9 years ago and still in use!), I got solid rings at TSC, and they're crazy strong (but the slingrings.com ones are thinner, although still strong). Jan uses a pleated shoulder, which is really nice and comfortable, but I also like a basic gathered shoulder, and the hot dog style shoulders are nice too.

Feel free to bump your thread at TBW, looking for people near you. The board moves fast, and a lot of people don't get to check in every day. You might also ask questions in the "choosing and using" subforum for ring slings.

I really like a ring sling for a newborn and then for short times with an older baby/toddler, as well as for nursing in public. Around the house for long-term use, though, I do tend to prefer wraps, as they distribute the weight better for me. You can make your own wrap for not a lot of money (really, an old sheet will work!), and while it does take some practice to learn to tie them, they are really comfortable. If you ask for help on the wrap board at TBW, they might even be able to help you find a wrap carry that uses your left shoulder, back, and hips, but not your right shoulder/arm. My concern about ring slings is that as the baby gets older, I do find that they put too much pressure/weight on my one shoulder, and the wrap helps spread that to my hips more.

Another option might be a soft structured carrier, such as the Ergo. Most of the weight is on your hips, so you might be able to keep pressure off of your right arm. Ergos can work for infants and can be back or front; they're a bit easier to learn to use than a wrap, and I find that they work really well for toddlers.

I used to be able to put on the Moby wrap once and keep it on through the day, taking baby in and out.

I don't know if this hold would put pressure on that arm at all. It can't be used until the baby is five months or has good upper strength.

Hope you find something that works!