Menu

What'a good whole family read aloud?

We've been reading Understood Betsy. It's great fun because the narrator's "voice" sounds like me, so they're not always sure if it's me giving an aside or if it's actually the book. Plus, it's a funny but thought provoking book.

Anything by Kate DiCamillo! We recently read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I was hanging on every word just as much as dd was. :001_smile: We couldn't stop when the chapters ended.

Oh yes! We just read this, too, and all of our kiddos who were listening loved it. They were 13yos, 10yos, 8yod, 7yod, 4yod.

Anything by Kate DiCamillo! We recently read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I was hanging on every word just as much as dd was. :001_smile: We couldn't stop when the chapters ended.

Oh yes! We just read this, too, and all of our kiddos who were listening loved it. They were 13yos, 10yos, 8yod, 7yod, 4yod.
To each their own. :) Neither my oldest nor myself liked it... I'm not even sure why we finished it except perhaps we couldn't believe that it wouldn't get better (especially since we liked The Tale of Despereaux). Later I read this review; it nicely summarizes my problems with the book... the key word is manipulative.

I LOVE Watership Down, but I would save it for older kids --it can be pretty darn bloody and graphic [like Animal Farm, but longer, lol].

I like Understood Betsy and Witch of Blackbird Pond for all-age read alouds.

Cheaper by the Dozen is another fun one.

Peter Pan was ok, but Tink keeps calling Peter a silly a$$, lol........

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The only problem is we've read most of theml! That's the hazard of homeschooling for so long, I guess and of having such a wide age range. We haven't read the new book by Kate DiCamillo or Summer of the Monkeys. So those are possibilies.

I just finished reading Peter Pan aloud. I didn't mind the a$$ part because back then they meant it as short for jacka$$. I just explained that to the kids and then told them it showed just how naughty Tinkerbell was being. But my 9 year cried like crazy because the ending is so poignant.

The most successful read alouds to the whole family we've had this year are The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge (fantastic book! Everybody was hooked!) and The All of a Kind Family series. I don't know how thrilled my oldest two boys were with the latter but they listening along congenially. My oldest daughter loved the quaintness and my younger two liked it too.

If you have anymore suggestions, keep them coming. I might look into Summer of the Monkeys. I remember a long time ago almost choosing that one, but then not, for some reason. And it is one of the books I've never read myself.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The only problem is we've read most of theml!
If you've read Swallows and Amazons, have you read Peter Duck; that was our favourite from the series.

That's quite an age spread... lessee

an Arthurian cycle: Pyle, Sutcliff, TH White

L.M. Boston's Green Knowe series

Terry Pratchett's discworld for kids (or Johnny triology or Wee Free Men)

Joan Aikin's Wolves of Willoughby Chase series

if your library has it, Helen Cresswell's Bagthorpe Saga (starts with Ordinary Jack)

"In Defense of Food," or "Omnivore's Dilemma," by Michael Pollan. Both are readable, engaging, and completely understandable, even for the youngest listener. The latter is longer, but (I think) more engaging for the littlest.

"Complications" by Atul Gawande. Again, very readable and engaging. Might be a little over the littlest's head, but there's enough fun stuff in there that he'd enjoy it.

Some fiction suggestions, too, just so people don't think I'm completely abusing poor Isaac:

City of Ember and People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau

The Borrowers and many sequels by M. Norton.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

If you've read Swallows and Amazons, have you read Peter Duck; that was our favourite from the series.

That's quite an age spread... lessee

an Arthurian cycle: Pyle, Sutcliff, TH White

L.M. Boston's Green Knowe series

Terry Pratchett's discworld for kids (or Johnny triology or Wee Free Men)

Joan Aikin's Wolves of Willoughby Chase series

if your library has it, Helen Cresswell's Bagthorpe Saga (starts with Ordinary Jack)

LOL! We hated Peter Duck!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The only problem is we've read most of theml! That's the hazard of homeschooling for so long, I guess and of having such a wide age range.

----

I don't know how thrilled my oldest two boys were with the latter but they listening along congenially. My oldest daughter loved the quaintness and my younger two liked it too.

aHA!! so you have experienced listeners!! that can make quite a bit of difference in your choices :)

I like PariSarah's suggestions.

do you have a Sonlight catalog on hand? I'd just start reading thru their suggestions, lol.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The only problem is we've read most of theml! That's the hazard of homeschooling for so long, I guess and of having such a wide age range. We haven't read the new book by Kate DiCamillo or Summer of the Monkeys. So those are possibilies.

I just finished reading Peter Pan aloud. I didn't mind the a$$ part because back then they meant it as short for jacka$$. I just explained that to the kids and then told them it showed just how naughty Tinkerbell was being. But my 9 year cried like crazy because the ending is so poignant.

The most successful read alouds to the whole family we've had this year are The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge (fantastic book! Everybody was hooked!) and The All of a Kind Family series. I don't know how thrilled my oldest two boys were with the latter but they listening along congenially. My oldest daughter loved the quaintness and my younger two liked it too.

If you have anymore suggestions, keep them coming. I might look into Summer of the Monkeys. I remember a long time ago almost choosing that one, but then not, for some reason. And it is one of the books I've never read myself.

Inkheart and Inkspell/Funke (they do involve some pretty evil characters and magic of a sort)

We enjoyed the Crispin series/Avi (you get an authentic view of English peasant life in the 14th century to boot)

What about Wrinkle in Time (and others)/L'Engle?

For pure frivolity, we liked A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck.

Also The Scarecrow and His Servant/Pullman

Assume you've done The Hobbit and the Narnia series?

Gosh, I'm not very good at gauging how suitable these would be for your age range. Several seem too old for the youngest and too young for the oldest.