Menu

Can someone help me with a secular Latin program?

Rhonda in WA

I have looked at threads about secular products to use. Now I need advice about picking a Latin program. I used Prima Latina for my oldest when she was in 4th. I just had her skip the verse chants. I even bought a used copy of LC 1 & tried to use it this year. But we lost interest & put it aside for the last 4 months.

Is there such a thing as secular Latin? Sorry for my ignorance! Know that I will need to buy a DVD to teach it. I know nothing about Latin. I learned right along with her. :-)

For next year I have thought about starting my soon to be 2nd grade dd in Song School, but need direction for my soon to be 6th grader.

Lively Latin is secular. Galore Park makes secular latin programs. Rosetta Stone is secular (but I am not sure it's a great way to teach latin). Minimus is secular.

I am not sure but is Latin For Children secular? It isn't by a secular publisher but I am not sure about the program. I looked quickly and didn't notice anything religious in the samples. But, it was a quick glance.

None of these have DVDs.

Well... Lively Latin does have some video instruction to be used in addition to the book.

I chose to use Lively Latin. We'll be using it this fall (or this summer if I can get it organized).

Hey Angela,

Just curious what made you decide to go the Lively Latin route. I am currently looking into Latin for Children and Lively Latin and would love to hear your thoughts.

Secular materials that we've considered and/or used include Getting Started with Latin, Latin Prep, Latin for Children (A, B, C) and Henle. We are right now debating between Henle and LfC for my rising 4th grader. He has completed GSWL.

ETA: Henle might not be considered totally secular as there seems to be a fair amount of Christian content to translate. This doesn't bother me as I don't see it as proselytizing.

Lively Latin is secular. Galore Park makes secular latin programs. Rosetta Stone is secular (but I am not sure it's a great way to teach latin). Minimus is secular.

I am not sure but is Latin For Children secular? It isn't by a secular publisher but I am not sure about the program. I looked quickly and didn't notice anything religious in the samples. But, it was a quick glance.

None of these have DVDs.

Well... Lively Latin does have some video instruction to be used in addition to the book.

I believe LfC has a DVD...or is it a CD? (can you tell I haven't looked closely at the package that arrived a couple weeks ago? LOL). Also, LfC has a lot of online games and reinforcement.

Getting Started with Latin is great. Then there is Latin Prep, which targets middle schoolers both in content and presentation. I used it with my older son when he was in 7th grade. I found the sequence to be haphazard and difficult to teach (of course, I don't know anything about Latin, which probably made things infinitely worse). Next year I will be using Latin for the New Millennium with my younger son. It looks great (and they have extensive samples on their website), but I haven't used it yet.

Are you happy with it? Do the kids like it? I'm leaning towards getting this and would love to hear what you think.

We have just started. I'm learning along with my son, so we each have our own text and we're taking tests together :)

We started lesson 3 today.

I'm pleased with the program so far. We are using all components. The video is good and helps with the teaching. We use classical pronunciation and the CD gives the practice. My son gets to see me model study behavior as I make out notecards and try to learn vocabulary.

I heard Christopher Perrin speak at a convention this year and was impressed as well. I think we'll have a good foundation with LfC. My son likes "How the West was Unum" on the video and is enjoying the mazes in the activity book.

Minimus for younger Elementary

Lively Latin for mid/older Elementary

Latin Prep for middle school

Lots of options for high school (SYRWL, Cambridge, Wheelocks, Latin for the New Millennium etc...)

Edited by Momling