Menu

Teaching Textbooks Geometry

Would everyone agree that this is a good one to use for this subject?

:lol:

I AM NOT LAUGHING AT YOU. I'm laughing at the rest of us, myself especially. If you do a search for Geometry, you will see what I mean.

Teaching Textbooks Geometry was great for us. Because dd struggled with proofs to the very end, and TT has three of them in every lesson, she could have done MUS and may have saved a lot of time and wound up in the same place. Jacobs was not good for her as an "out of the box" thinker. She was going somewhere but not where Harold wanted her to go.

I think that TT is a solid geometry program. I love its unique features (lectures & solutions on CD) and that there is a free tutor available for consulting with. I dislike that there is no print solutions manual.

Now, we can wait for the fun to begin.:D

:lol:

I AM NOT LAUGHING AT YOU. I'm laughing at the rest of us, myself especially. If you do a search for Geometry, you will see what I mean.

:iagree:I honestly don't think you will find a single curriculum choice on which "everyone" would agree.

As a veteran homeschooler, I can say that there are programs that were great for one of two of my sons, but was a terrible choice for the others. If you give us more specifics about your student, we may be able to give you better advice.

I have the books to use next year. They look very good. I followed up TT Alg 2 with Lial's(recommended here) and I was VERY surprised at how little my ds actually knew about Algebra!! It was eye opening!! So, understandably, I was concerned about TT Geometry. It looks sufficient and I am comfortable with him using it.

Using Chakerian geometry with Abeka just for extra prioblems..we never do all the problems unless I find they have not scored well on the odd numbered ones. I use two texts just to help them identify the type of problem regardless of the author.

I have to teach a subject, I think those who want a program to teach their children with little or no input from them is what makes TT appealing. I have heard mixed reviews, some score very high on math sections of standardized testing and others score average...I just want tobe sure my child grasps it well..it would be too hard for me to teach using this program...too many gaps for me.

TT Geometry is what we are planning to use next year for dd; 11th gr.

DD doesn't like math at all but she survived (and grasped) Alg 2 w/TT last yr.

I am not a math person so dh tutors her in the evening as needed. He doesn't have a lot of time so this has worked fine for us so far.

All my kids did Saxon. But DD #1 struggled with Saxon Algebra so much that we dropped it. After searching high and low (and this was about 5 years ago) and trying several different curricula, we found TT. It worked! Well enough, that is. She seemed to enjoy the "teacher" and did very well on both Algebra and Geometry (but that's as far as she went). Her ACT math score was above average, but not great. She's just not a math whiz.

Like the other posters have said, what curriculum you choose will be dependent on the child and his or her learning style and aptitude.

We used TT Geometry after failed attempts to use Jacobs 3rd and then 2nd editions. It worked well for us. It is a solid geometry text and covers everything that is in Jacobs. However, I would not consider it honors level and the algebra knowledge assumed was lower than in Jacobs.

We used TT Geometry after failed attempts to use Jacobs 3rd and then 2nd editions. It worked well for us. It is a solid geometry text and covers everything that is in Jacobs. However, I would not consider it honors level and the algebra knowledge assumed was lower than in Jacobs.

We did this, too. Went to TT on chapter 10 and it was the same topic in Jacobs & TT. I felt they were very comparable.

I don't know enough about geometry to know what would be considered honors, but ds felt TT used a few more of the terms he was used to & he considered "more advanced" or "more logical." Not sure if it's just him, though. He just doesn't think like Mr. Jacobs. I could follow Mr. Jacobs perfectly, but ds wasn't able to "get into his stream of thought" or something like that.

Another thing my ds preferred in TT was the fact that every lesson didn't seem to include drawing figures. He felt like Jacobs had too much drawing, and he's a kid who prefers imagining the figures in his mind and getting to the computations more quickly. I'm sure drawing the figures is a good thing to learn, but the amount he did in the last third of TT seemed like enough to us and ds did them willingly.

I did miss the algebra reviews after every chapter that were included in Jacobs. Those were excellent. TT claims it has SAT prep, but not sure what that means, as it didn't seem clearly delineated the way "algebra review" was. Probably means a few problems each lesson were worded in an SAT-way.

Julie

DH has taught both TT Geometry, and Jacobs Geometry (3rd ed.). The TT, we used with our "math competent, but not math adept" ds, the Jacobs we used with our "math talented" ds. DH thought well of each program. In general, I don't think TT other textbooks are very good; however, that son ended up in a "good" college, with no ill-effects!