Menu

If one was to visit Niagara Falls on the Canadian side...

... and you are an American do you need passports or birth certificates to get back?

That last (and only) time I have been out of the country was for a short 30 minutes in TJ. All I needed was my drivers license to get back.

I know things are different now.

Rachel,

All of that changed 2 summers ago. YES, you need passports. We used to live in MI years ago when pp were not needed. We used to hop over now and then.

We gathered our credentials and got our passports last summer. It can take time.....even up to a couple of months to obtain your birth certificate of live birth with seal. They will not accept a copy. If you live out of state it takes several months. If you live locally or can make arrangements in your birth city from relative or whatnot it will take less time.

DH, dd and I went to Canada last summer and visited Niagara Falls/Canadian side. It was beautiful. Much better to visit Canadian side than States-side and I'm from the States/NC.

It's worth the trip.

HTH!

I believe that you can get an "enhanced" license that is much cheaper than a passport and it will allow you to cross over into Canada. It might only be available in Michigan? I don't know much about it, except that it exists here.

We just went to the Canadian side yesterday. :) As far as I know, it's passports/passport cards. It's so much nicer than the US side. We stay away from all of the tchotcky shops/stores though and just walk on the path next to the gorge/falls.

If you're traveling w/kids and only one parent, I would recommend bringing a notarized letter from the other parent saying you have their permission to take the kids across the border. I have been asked for one in the past when I went w/DD w/o DH.

I think you only need a passport if you're traveling by air. You can get back in with a passport card or enhanced license (like Katie mentioned) if driving. Check with the Dept of State to make sure you have the right kind of documentation.

The Canadian side is much better! :)

Yes passports. You can pay to have them expedited if you like. Enhanced drivers licenses are available in the northern states. I'm not sure about all states. All the info is online. I think children can still cross with a birth certificate but I would check that out on line as well.

I know this is different than what everyone else has said but...

We went at the end of 2009 (the rules had just changed), and the grownups (6 of us) travelled on US passports. My recollection is anyone over 18 had to have a passport, or an enhanced license that PP mentioned. My children, who were adopted overseas but are naturalized US citizens, travelled on their raised-seal certificates of citizenship (we just hadn't gotten around to getting them passports yet). My 4 year old niece, born in the US, traveled with only her raised-seal birth certificate. None of the children needed passports. We drove across the main border crossing right there at the falls. We had absolutely no issues driving into Canada or trying to re-enter the US.

If you check the US state department website, the requirements for travel to and from the US are listed. There are different rules for children under 18 traveling with both parents ("proof of citizenship" is required, not passports specifically) and differences between whether you cross the border by car, boat or air.

Rule from St. Dept.:

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens will need to present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

Now, that being said:

Niagara Falls State Park (New York) is a treasure that is not to be missed. I have spent hours upon hours in both Niagara Falls NY and ON and if I had to pick only one to go to the rest of my life, I'd pick Niagara Falls, New York. It is just that beautiful. You can walk right out onto Goat Island and be between the waterfalls.

If you want to look at the Falls from across the gorge, go to Canada. If you want to really experience the power and beauty of the Falls, go to NY.

JMO :D

Check out the Niagara USA Discovery Pass. It is a good deal.

Niagara Falls State Park (New York) is a treasure that is not to be missed. I have spent hours upon hours in both Niagara Falls NY and ON and if I had to pick only one to go to the rest of my life, I'd pick Niagara Falls, New York. It is just that beautiful. You can walk right out onto Goat Island and be between the waterfalls.

If you want to look at the Falls from across the gorge, go to Canada. If you want to really experience the power and beauty of the Falls, go to NY.

:)

:iagree: I know many folks are mentioning going to the Canadian side, but I believe that the state park is so beautiful and offers a "behind the scenes" look and is absolutely a must-see. We are park people, thus our bias :001_smile:

A bit more:

If you are planning on going in summer, mid-weekday mornings are best. Also, if you do go to Canada, be sure to factor in bridge traffic. There are websites you can check to see what the wait times are, entering and exiting both sides. It's pretty frustrating to end a day of siteseeing with a 2 hour long wait at Customs.

Thank you! I have family visiting the Niagara area this summer and we were lamenting that they didn't have time to get passports. I sent this info. to them so they can enjoy the beauty of the area.

Now, that being said:

JMO :D

Check out the Niagara USA Discovery Pass. It is a good deal.