Menu

Where do you go size wise after girls 16?

We are going to go Wed. and try to find a couple of swim suits and some tops for my not developed at all 11 1/2 yr old. We went through her clothes last week and nearly non of the 14/16 tops fit her any more. The ones that do probably won't in a month or so. What size/area do I go to from here? We are going to have my ds with us:001_huh:so I need to make this as painless as possible as he is a real pain when it comes to clothes shopping.:tongue_smilie:

Any suggestions?

We are going to go Wed. and try to find a couple of swim suits and some tops for my not developed at all 11 1/2 yr old. We went through her clothes last week and nearly non of the 14/16 tops fit her any more. The ones that do probably won't in a month or so. What size/area do I go to from here? We are going to have my ds with us:001_huh:so I need to make this as painless as possible as he is a real pain when it comes to clothes shopping.:tongue_smilie:

Any suggestions?

Junior department; look at 1's and 3's. I do think it's awkward to make that transition to juniors clothing. Dress shoes are the same way; Mary Janes in the children's department then -WHAM! - six-inch stilettos in the juniors. :glare: Where is the in-between?

She's probably anywhere from a size zero to a 2 in Juniors. You'll have to try stuff on--

I aim for a few brands we like so I can predict what will fit. I know, for instance, what my dd wears in Speedo suits (which run tight) and Mudd jeans.

Ok, Thanks. Juniors it is.

You are right about the shoes also. UGH! She is all about comfort and finding her shoes is a real pain right now. Well, I can find them but I really don't want to pay that much for a pair of shoes she is going to ware for 3-4 months.:001_huh:

If you have private schools with conservative dress codes in your area, you may find that some stores will carry a larger range of girl's clothes, although they won't be particularly stylish. I know that I fit better into girls 18-20 sizes when I could find them until I was in college than I did in the juniors.

If you have private schools with conservative dress codes in your area, you may find that some stores will carry a larger range of girl's clothes, although they won't be particularly stylish. I know that I fit better into girls 18-20 sizes when I could find them until I was in college than I did in the juniors.

I haven't seen anything over a 14/16 in any of the stores. She is very conservative in how she likes to dress. Doesn't like lots of frills, has to cover her WELL, NOTHING low cut, can't be to tight. no gathers/elastic. UGH! the list goes on.

We did find some things on line at Land's End that she likes so I think we are going to start at Sears and see what they might have as they have a section there that is Land's End.

I actually had better luck finding modest clothing in misses departments. My 11yo daughter went from a kids 16 to a 4 misses (she wears a belt with them). It is sometimes hard to find that size but she likes them much better than juniors clothing. My daughter really hates the cut/style of junior clothes. She is skinny as a rail (5'5 and 95lbs) but doesn't like to wear her clothes skin tight. Good luck.

I agree with what Daisy said about Misses probably being a better choice for shirts and dresses anyway. I wish there was a different option. Lands End is a good place to start as are outlet malls. Often on the sale racks they'll have the very small sizes - which should be perfect for her. Good luck! :)

I actually had better luck finding modest clothing in misses departments. My 11yo daughter went from a kids 16 to a 4 misses (she wears a belt with them). It is sometimes hard to find that size but she likes them much better than juniors clothing. My daughter really hates the cut/style of junior clothes. She is skinny as a rail (5'5 and 95lbs) but doesn't like to wear her clothes skin tight. Good luck.

Thanks Daisy. We will look in that area too then.

I agree with what Daisy said about Misses probably being a better choice for shirts and dresses anyway. I wish there was a different option. Lands End is a good place to start as are outlet malls. Often on the sale racks they'll have the very small sizes - which should be perfect for her. Good luck! :)

We don't have any outlet malls here.:tongue_smilie:Wish we did.

My girls went from 14/16 to juniors's/misses' 0-2 jeans and adult small shirts. Regular ladies' panties and bra sizes and they have been in women's shoes forever. My girls dress fairly conservatively and layer quite a bit. I haven't really had any problem finding them clothing in regular retail outlets; Walmart, Target, Kolh's, JC Penney's, etc.

in the petite section. Size extra small misses at Kohls, etc. My dd could wear a 0 in juniors, though the juniors assume a more voluptuous figure than my slight framed 4' 10" dd. She is about 80 lbs and almost 12, so she can still wear 14's, but it won't be long. She also feels like alot of the girl clothes are a bit too hootchy (my word, not hers, seh says inappropriate :lol:). She loves Landsend dresses, so there is one more size for those.

Justice has girls 20 (if it's something your daughter would like). Sears also carries larger girls' clothes (their girls' plus goes up to 18 1/2). For my friend's daughter, who needs a larger width, but not height, Old Navy women's crop pants work well as jeans and the bermudas as shorts.

We're on this same cusp, I'm afraid. My issue with the swimsuits has been that the junior's section doesn't seem to want to do anything but bikinis and the women's section all looks too old, at least at Target and Kohl's. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, a 0-2 would not come near fitting my daughter who is wearing a girl's 16. Based on the charts, the equivalent would be more like a Juniors' 7/Medium or a Misses' 6/Small for the waist measurements to match, at minimum. I know much depends on body shape.

Per the Penney's size chart

Size Girl's reg L(16) XL(18) Jr 7/Med (also Misses 6/Small are about the same)

Height 61-63 63-65 63 1/2 and up

Bust 32-33 34-35 34-34 1/2

Waist 27-27 28-28 26-26 1/2

Hips 35-36 37-38 36 1/2-37

Edited by KarenNC

My dd 13 did not want the junior department, so we bought size 18-20 in the girls department at JCPenney. I also find items in the work out/fitness clothes section to have some modest items. Yoga pants, capris and shorts along with basic shirts.

I was not aware that JCP carried the 18-20 Will have to check it out.