Menu

What?? The spanish alphabet has been changed?

helena

In '95 I guess.. :blushing:

The thought of relearning the alphabet is funny!

Is this some silly idea that isn't panning out (even though it's been changed for years now), or is this how I need to teach the kids?

Pobre RR, LL, y CH.. :tongue_smilie: Is it wrong that I'm a little sad about this? Why did this happen?

I definitely need to buy a curriculum now. :D

That is weird. I never went to college but took spanish in highschool and remember the alphabet have ch (chay), ll (eyuh) and rr (errre) although I still to this day can't roll my r, so by rr never came out right anyway. I also learned v pronounced as vay and and w was doble vay, not so sure I like the sound of oo-vay for those LOL.

I asked about this on a board for Spanish teachers because my daughter had two different Spanish Alphabet songs. Apparently, it's STILL hotly debated as to the right way to teach this, because it is dependent on country. The general consensus was that you teach rr, ll, ch and n with a tilde more as sounds than as actual letter names-and that it really doesn't matter what version of the alphabet kids learn as long as they learn the sounds.

Let us not panic! It is only about whether they are letters on their own right or simply a combination of letters. You still have to teach them as sounds; the only difference really is when it comes to looking words up in a dictionary because the order will be different, i.e., ch words will no longer come after all of the c words but within the c words after the ci combinations and so on and so forth.

First we have the ongoing argument of who's Spanish sounds the best (who's sounds the worst :tongue_smilie:), now we have the alphabet debate! :lol:

Argument? Who is arguing? And whose Spanish does indeed sound the best in your opinion??:bigear:

Argument? Who is arguing? And whose Spanish does indeed sound the best in your opinion??:bigear:

Well, maybe I'm wrong to assume others tease and play about this. I've always had fun with the topic with friends and folks who speak Spanish. I'm Mexican, so I guess I'm bias :D. My father speaks beautiful Spanish. I remember when I was a kid, people commenting about this and feeling so proud. Of course Mexicans also have a reputation for naughty words. :lol: Think El Norte (movie) I think the line was something like, "you'll know when you're in Mexico because everything is ****ing this and ****ing that".

Then again maybe this is only my life experience..

We tease among Puerto Ricans, Dominicans... everyone. Nicaraguans have a trippy accent. I don't mean this in a rude way at all. Nicaragua is very cool. :001_smile:

Edited by helena

When I moved here to Texas from the east coast in 1995, I decided to brush up on my Spanish. I bought a used copy of Dime!, which was then the newest and latest Spanish high school curriculum. In the first chapter or two, it did mention (in the footnotes) that they eliminated CH, LL and RR. So I did know this, but I had looked at a more recent book than what I used in high school (I graduated in 1987, and my textbook was from 1978 :001_huh:).

Of course Mexicans also have a reputation for naughty words. :lol: Think El Norte (movie) I think the line was something like, "you'll know when you're in Mexico because everything is ****ing this and ****ing that".

:iagree:

I went to Mexico City last year and learned quite a few new words. I don't use them, but now I understand them.

We tease among Puerto Ricans, Dominicans... everyone. Nicaraguans have a trippy accent. I don't mean this in a rude way at all. Nicaragua is very cool. :001_smile:

Not just you. Lots of people I know do this. I have a dear friend from Chile that lives here in Mexico. I love his accent. Even when he gets mad, it sounds so classy. :lol:

Danielle

Let us not panic! It is only about whether they are letters on their own right or simply a combination of letters. You still have to teach them as sounds; the only difference really is when it comes to looking words up in a dictionary because the order will be different, i.e., ch words will no longer come after all of the c words but within the c words after the ci combinations and so on and so forth.

I know nothing about Spanish, but this was kind of interesting to me, because something similar was done in English in alphabetical listings by last name, such as telephone books or deed book indices at the local courthouse. McLastnames used to be separated out from regular Lastnames as if Mc were a letter after M and before N. Now, whether because nobody felt like teaching computers that, or it's just an unnecessary complication in general, practically nobody does this. Although you can still sometimes find card dividers for a rolodex that will include the "Mc."

Well, maybe I'm wrong to assume others tease and play about this. I've always had fun with the topic with friends and folks who speak Spanish. I'm Mexican, so I guess I'm bias :D. My father speaks beautiful Spanish. I remember when I was a kid, people commenting about this and feeling so proud. Of course Mexicans also have a reputation for naughty words. :lol: Think El Norte (movie) I think the line was something like, "you'll know when you're in Mexico because everything is ****ing this and ****ing that".

Although I don't speak Spanish, I grew up in Texas so, last year, I was constantly correcting my son's Spanish accent, no matter how much he insisted, "That's how my teacher says it!"

Finally, my husband (a Spanish speaker) told me my son's teacher was probably from Puerto Rico or the DR and yes, my son was pronouncing his words correctly just not with a Mexican accent. Turns out, the teacher was from the DR.

Poor kid, to have his non-Spanish speaking mother insist he pronounce his words correctly: with a Mexican accent. Oops!

I know nothing about Spanish, but this was kind of interesting to me, because something similar was done in English in alphabetical listings by last name, such as telephone books or deed book indices at the local courthouse. McLastnames used to be separated out from regular Lastnames as if Mc were a letter after M and before N. Now, whether because nobody felt like teaching computers that, or it's just an unnecessary complication in general, practically nobody does this. Although you can still sometimes find card dividers for a rolodex that will include the "Mc."

That's funny. I just alphabetized our library, and put all the Mc books aside. I wanted to make their own category after M. I looked it up and realized I was wrong. I like to collect old dictionaries and thesauruses now I can get extra crazy and look for the Mc. :001_smile: