Menu

Oh dear. This will honestly be the last question regarding my overseas trip.

Get a money belt. You wear it under your clothes. Keep the bulk of what you have in the belt - never left behind in a hotel room, or in a purse/backpack. Keep most money in traveler's checks. Do not carry much cash. Traveler's checks can be replaced - cash can not.

Carry cash on your person in a money travel belt.

What I would do though, is carry some cash, deposit the rest and use my atm card to withdraw.

When we lived in Europe, we traveled a lot. We were able to use ATMs in many places with no problem. It is often easier than getting travelers checks or cash exchanged. The only place we used a cash exchange was in an area that we decided didn't have secure enough banking (or rather all business was heavily influenced by organized crime).

Credit cards can work well too. You will want to keep all of your receipts so you can check the transactions later. You will also probably want to call your credit card company and tell them that you're traveling. Otherwise, they may put a freeze on your account because the first overseas transaction will register as atypical. You may find that you can't use your card when you want it. You will also want to check that credit cards are accepted. Most tourist places will take them. But we had one notable incident in a major bookstore chain that only took cash or EC cards.

I wouldn't travel with a lot of US cash, because the first thing you'll need to do is to change it. I also don't like to travel with a purse, because it is just one more thing to keep track of. I use a small backpack instead. And my wallet goes well into the big inside section, not the front zipper pouch. I have a travel wallet that goes around my neck. It is a little less secure than a travel belt and can be more detectable, maybe making it a target. But I had good luck with it.

You will probably find that in general, Europe uses more cash than the US.

My sweet mom is giving me spending money. Cash. A lot. Where do I keep in during my plane ride. Hidden in checked baggage (thinking it could get stolen), or in my purse which will be in a backpack in my carry on??????

I agree with the others regarding the money belt, credit cards, and ATM cards. I would also add, do NOT use backpack to carry your wallet. Nor should you use a purse that does not zip or close in some fashion all the way. I don't want too scare you, but pick pockets are prevalent in many parts of Europe (they are in touristy areas of this country, too).

I've just come back from Poland. I kept a bit of money and my card in a pouch around my neck while I was travelling. Otherwise, it was in my shoulder bag as per usual. Atms are everywhere and give English as an option, so there is no worry about using them. Talk to your bank. For about double my usual monthly fee, I got a card which allowed me to use eftpos, atms, credit and no further charge for currency conversion. If you can get something like that, you'll save quite a bit. Just make sure you change your account back to your usual when you get home.

:)

Rosie

:iagree: Definitely talk to your bank. And check your ATM account.

Ours would not let us use it overseas (or in Canada) until we attached a checking account to it (Bank of America). Then it didn't work. We had to call them several times to get it working overseas. Most of the local (US) bank employees had no clue either.

Make sure they understand that it needs to work in Europe and they explain the exchange rate and fees for foreign use.

Keep in mind that much of Europe is a cash society. Outside of banks and major hotels Travellers Checks can be hard to use. Also, there is a fair amount of fraud where credit cards and ATMs are concerned. Know your financial situation going in so that you can keep track of any card use or potential fraud. And as many posters have said-always keep your cash with you.

The first time I went to visit my dh in Bulgaria, it was sort of a sanctioned Army event. So, I received information from the military on what to bring for money. They did not recommend traveller's cheques, but euros. At the time, Bulgaria was using their own currency, so I gave most of my euros to my dh, as he was able to use them at the PX in Kosovo. Once I got to Bulgaria, we exchanged money with the ATM's. I was only there for 36 hours, so money wasn't a huge issue other than for the hotel and some food.

When we were in Macedonia, we had ATM access and there were shops that exchanged money. I felt safer with the ATM access than the shops. I always carried cash. There is was denars, but they would take euros, if I had them. The only time I ever used my debit card as a credit card was when we purchased our return tickets.

So, what would your recommendations be for my 15yo who will be going to Paris with a friend for 2 weeks this summer? I had figured on sending her with traveler's checks, because last time I was overseas (can you tell it has been a while) that was what I used. Should I get her an account with an ATM card? Thank you! Amy

Well it was eons ago for me too (before ATMS), but mine sent me with Travelers checks and i cashed them at the AMEX office every so often. I never bought anything with them - but it was easier for me to do that than have to deal with feeling safe with a bunch of cash.

I had a CC for emergencies (what, buying a watch in Switzerland wasn't one??? HMPH).

I'd look into the ATM card option.

We got a Wal Mart money card Shared card pack last night at WM, the temp card isn't good outside of the US, but the real one is. IT's prepaid, you can add money pretty easy.

Whatever you do - DO NOT apply for a Green Dot (same company that does the WM one) online, you can't get a 2nd card despite their advertising you can.

Anyway, i'm not sure what kind of fees they have overseas, but thought i'd throw the option out there to check into!