Menu

DH just cut a chunk of his ear off.

I know....that sounds gross. :eek: :ack2:

Wanna know how it happened??

He was cutting his own hair outside. :001_rolleyes: He took my scissors and just went out there and starting cutting his own hair. I would never cut my own hair. Guys do strange things. :001_smile:

When our son was a toddler I bought an electric clippers and cut his hair sometimes. I'm not really very good at it. I feel totally all thumbs.

My dh and son used to go to an old barber in town. He had the neatest old fashioned barber pole that turned, until some hoodlems came along and smashed it last year. :cursing: This old barber had been cutting hair there since the late 50's and still only charged $5.00. But, there's a for sale sign up and it appears closed down. I hope nothing happened to the man.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to think about getting another electric clippers set. My dh refuses to pay more than $5 to get a haircut. Does anyone else cut hair for their husband or son? What do you recommend getting?

So this refusal to spend more than $5.00 has caused him how much in medical bills? You are taking him to the ER, right? He probably needs at a minimum a tetanus shot. Stitches?

And that is only the financial cost. Now he has disfigured himself.

So this refusal to spend more than $5.00 has caused him how much in medical bills? You are taking him to the ER, right? He probably needs at a minimum a tetanus shot. Stitches?

And that is only the financial cost. Now he has disfigured himself.

Yep...pretty much. He's stubborn. Well...he is stubborn, but I don't think it's as bad as you are thinking it is. It looks like a cut on his ear, but upon looking closer it looks like a piece of skin is actually cut off. He has a bandaid on it now. That's about all he'll end up doing about it. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm pretty sure it should heal.

Thanks for the links. I do recall now, from your posting the name, that the old set I had was a Wahl from Walmart. That's probably what I'll get.

I cut the hair of my dh and my two boys. My husband and eldest son is easy. They like one short length all over.

My youngest wants, and currently has a mullet look. :001_huh: He picked out the style himself - he described it and we found hair style pictures online. He picked out the mullet look and really likes it.

I have had a few hair cutting mishaps with my dh's hair. Once I took off the attachment that makes it so you aren't shaving down to the skin, - so I could get it nice and trim and the back on the neck. I got distracted by the kids and forgot that the attachment was off, and shaved him to his skin all on a patch of his head. I calmy put down the shaver and ran into the woods. :p

So he was going for a VanGogh style hair cut?

We had a barber like the one you described. he charged $2 for hair cuts. Elderly man that just stayed in business because he enjoyed it and liked talking to people when they came in. He only knew one hair cut, and my dad said it was like going in and getting sheared like a sheep.

Ew!

I cut my own hair. My aunt is a hair stylist and has cut my hair for free my entire life--she won't accept money for this or for watching my children or for anything else. When I see her, she "corrects" my self-styling errors. Looks exactly the same to me, SO, and everyone else.

My DH cuts his own hair, and has since highschool. He's actually pretty good! He even cut all of our friends hair in college. Now he cuts his, our sons, and our friends whenever they can't get to someone in time :D

I, however, am completely unable to cut hair and after mauling DDs hair twice, gave up :)

I hope your DH's ear heals soon!! Those weird cuts always seem to hurt the worst.

I cut the hair around here- using a cheap Wahl from Walmart. DH won't let me cut it until I badger him for a month, so by that time I have to cut it with scissors first so the hair won't clog the clippers.

I start with a 2 or 2.5 guard and go over his entire head. If I'm feeling fancy I'll go over the back with a slightly shorter guard, but that's backfired on me before and left a weird line on the back of his head (like last time. SHH!). Then, I take the guard off and clean up the scraggly neck/back hair that's left. Finally, I'll take the included scissors and clean up around his ears. It takes less than 15 minutes and it usually looks ok.

I cut the hair of my dh and my two boys. My husband and eldest son is easy. They like one short length all over.

My youngest wants, and currently has a mullet look. :001_huh: He picked out the style himself - he described it and we found hair style pictures online. He picked out the mullet look and really likes it.

I have had a few hair cutting mishaps with my dh's hair. Once I took off the attachment that makes it so you aren't shaving down to the skin, - so I could get it nice and trim and the back on the neck. I got distracted by the kids and forgot that the attachment was off, and shaved him to his skin all on a patch of his head. I calmy put down the shaver and ran into the woods. :p

:lol: I bet he was running after you too. :lol:

So he was going for a VanGogh style hair cut?

We had a barber like the one you described. he charged $2 for hair cuts. Elderly man that just stayed in business because he enjoyed it and liked talking to people when they came in. He only knew one hair cut, and my dad said it was like going in and getting sheared like a sheep.

Yep. That's probably the look he was goin' for. :lol:

Hmmm....apparently he's all thumbs when it comes to cutting hair with scissors too.

Same with the older man with the $5 haircuts. Only one cut to choose from.

I cut my teen son's hair with scissors.

Wow...you are brave. On second thought...maybe your son is the brave one. :001_smile: JK!

My DH cuts his own hair, and has since highschool. He's actually pretty good! He even cut all of our friends hair in college. Now he cuts his, our sons, and our friends whenever they can't get to someone in time :D

I, however, am completely unable to cut hair and after mauling DDs hair twice, gave up :)

I hope your DH's ear heals soon!! Those weird cuts always seem to hurt the worst.

Wow...some people are talented. :001_smile: I remember my mom used to give herself perms. Can you imagine?? The rollers were always lined up perfectly. I shudder to think what they'd look like on my head if I did it myself (haven't had a perm since the 90's probably).

I cut the hair around here- using a cheap Wahl from Walmart. DH won't let me cut it until I badger him for a month, so by that time I have to cut it with scissors first so the hair won't clog the clippers.

I start with a 2 or 2.5 guard and go over his entire head. If I'm feeling fancy I'll go over the back with a slightly shorter guard, but that's backfired on me before and left a weird line on the back of his head (like last time. SHH!). Then, I take the guard off and clean up the scraggly neck/back hair that's left. Finally, I'll take the included scissors and clean up around his ears. It takes less than 15 minutes and it usually looks ok.

:lol: :lol:

"Oh honey....it looks *great* in the back. Really. The hand mirror?? Oh, that's odd....I thought it was here earlier. Oh well....it looks great. Really."

I cut my dh and both of my little boy's hair. I do the same cut for all three of them; seven on the top, two in the back/sides, four to blend the two lengths together, then clean up around the edges with no guard.

We bought a $15 set of clippers, oh, I dunno, like 6 ish years ago? I used to go with dh to the barber's and watch how they cut his hair, so I could get an idea of how to do it. Took a couple times to get it just right, but now I could pretty much do it in my sleep.

Think how much money we've saved cutting the three of them at home. Figure $15 for an adult, $10 per child for a cut (that's with tip). At every six weeks, for six years, that's a little over $1800. Wow. I think I need to tell dh he owes me a weekend away or something. :tongue_smilie:

I cut my husband's and boys' hair with scissors, then trim up necks & sideburns with the clippers. It's not hard, though doing all three of them consecutively wears on the arms a bit.

Suffice it to say my skills have improved since "$5 Phil" retired.