Menu

Books similar to "My Father's Dragon?"

My anti-reading 9 yo son is really enjoying reading "My Father's Dragon." He reads easily on a 5th grade level (and can read up to an 8th grade level but gets intimidated by thick books or books with absolutely no pictures).

Could you please suggest some other books similar to "My Father's Dragon" (both in layout and content) that he may enjoy?

Thanks!

Edited by m0mmaBuck

The Dragonling series by Jackie French Koller might work.

My Father's Dragon is sweet and innocent, and The Dragonling is a little more plot/conflict. The boy faces the moral question of whether to hunt dragons along with his tribe, which sees dragon hunting as noble (protecting the people) and a right of passage.

My Father's Dragon is sweet and innocent, and The Dragonling is a little more plot/conflict. The boy faces the moral question of whether to hunt dragons along with his tribe, which sees dragon hunting as noble (protecting the people) and a right of passage.

Thanks for this series

Don't forget to read the sequels - Elmer and the Dragon and The Dragons of Blueland!

Yes! The book I checked out from the library has all 3 and he is nearly through the entire book. He loves them!

Thank you! I put in a library hold request for the first book in the series!

• 7 months later...
Like, "My Father' Dragon" in what way?

The level of reading? The amount of pictures versus text? The high quality illustrations? The adventure story line of a boy on his own? The presence of dragons? talking animals?

level of understanding. Scattered art to supplement text, but not picture book. short chapters. I am sure he could move up a bit in understanding, but not a lot; he does not infer well yet. book could, over all be longer. talking animals a plus; just kinda that level and on a subject a boy would like, mostly that level of understanding or a little more, some books are just still too complex for him.

level of understanding. Scattered art to supplement text, but not picture book. short chapters. I am sure he could move up a bit in understanding, but not a lot; he does not infer well yet. book could, over all be longer. talking animals a plus; just kinda that level and on a subject a boy would like, mostly that level of understanding or a little more, some books are just still too complex for him.

In that case I recommend the MoonGobble series by Bruce Coville.

It has short chapters, nothing complicated to infer. It has talking animals, and also a dragon. The pictures are very similar to "My Father's Dragon" and are spaced out just as evenly.

In that case I recommend the MoonGobble series by Bruce Coville.

It has short chapters, nothing complicated to infer. It has talking animals, and also a dragon. The pictures are very similar to "My Father's Dragon" and are spaced out just as evenly.

:iagree: I was going to suggest same thing!

Can't remember what the layout looks like, but some books that come to mind that are about that reading level, but look more fun for younger kids and some of these have a few illustratios:

- Homer Price

- Paddington Bear (I think there are a few)

- Beverly Cleary books (Henry & Ribsy, etc.)

I'd also suggest just finding some nice picture books that are written on a higher reading leve. We have a few by Michael Morpurgo, and I think most are written at about a 5th-7th grade reading level. Some are definitely thin picture books for young kids (The Silver Swan), but some are more substantial with beautiful illustrations and chapters (Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, some King Arthur books - forget the titles). There are a few good ones out there about The Odyysey, too. But there are tons of great picture books written on a 4th-7th grade reading level.

• 1 month later...