Menu

PR users...some time at the convention w/ Mrs. Beers

Yes, specifically, if she can do a TM rather than DVDs?

In time for this fall for me to do PR2?!!

Pretty please with sugar on top??

:D

(Seriously, she would gather a much wider range of hs'ers if she would do a TM. It could be done easily-she could put the songs on a CD, and even could put MAIN POINTS about teaching the program onto ONE dvd if she wants, and then put the building codes on a dvd. Fine. But most people are not going to invest the time watching all these dvds every week. I am SO frustrated-can you tell? LOVE the program, can't stand the dvds to the point I am not doing the program anymore after this year. If there were a TM, she would have had a customer for at LEAST three more years.)

Anyway, glad you had fun with her!

Edited by HappyGrace

:bigear: as I'm considering a full return to PR (my youngers are using Level One). I do have to say, though, that I have enjoyed the DVDs and all of the tidbits. I have only watched Level One though....

Can't WAIT to hear more from Tina.

Have a great vacation Tina and thank you so much for your advice last month regarding PR!! I tried to PM you 3 times with a big thank you, but each time, my computer had issues and my message was erased. :confused: I finally bought the PR1 TM! I can't wait to see what you have to say!!!

Tina, Tina, Tina....you've always been so helpful and now you've given us a big teaser and are running off to the beach?!

For shame, for shame....

:lol::D:lol::D

Have fun and we'll all be here waiting oh so patiently for what you have to say when you return!

Yes, specifically, if she can do a TM rather than DVDs?

In time for this fall for me to do PR2?!!

Pretty please with sugar on top??

:D

(Seriously, she would gather a much wider range of hs'ers if she would do a TM. It could be done easily-she could put the songs on a CD, and even could put MAIN POINTS about teaching the program onto ONE dvd if she wants, and then put the building codes on a dvd. Fine. But most people are not going to invest the time watching all these dvds every week. I am SO frustrated-can you tell? LOVE the program, can't stand the dvds to the point I am not doing the program anymore after this year. If there were a TM, she would have had a customer for at LEAST three more years.)

Anyway, glad you had fun with her!

:iagree::iagree: I would love to hear her thoughts on this too. The DVD's are what finally swung the pendulum away from PR when I was trying to decide. This may have been the best decision for us anyway but having to watch the DVD's is a really big deal for me. I have future readers that may benefit from PR. :bigear:

gotta make this quick ;) I'm swimming in personal schooling and planning for next year, all the while finishing *this* school year and I'm barely avoiding :willy_nilly:

1. Mrs. Beers believes in Teacher Training and she thinks that modeling is better at this than scripts. Most people take classes to learn this method. When you get the benefit of using all 4 levels, you see a Serious Progression on how to teach AND APPLY language arts through literature and classical/cm ideas of copy work, dictation, writing.

I have to agree with her. I used the most heard of scripted programs for years and it didn't get me anywhere as a teacher. I used PR for 2 years and I'm a whole new woman. It brought me from imitator to Master Teacher. The breakdown in the literature sections, via DVD, has shown me how and WHY. I haven't been able to get the same understanding from reading anything (and I've read WTM, CM (original and Simply)).

2. A word by word transcript of the DVDs would be HUGE. Nobody would read it. Look at how many people won't use SWR b/c they were confused. You'd get the same thing if PR was written alone. That's why she added the B.C. references to the DVDs and models everything.

3. She won't put all the answers in the Daily Lesson Plans b/c she thinks an effective teacher has *learned* the material. That's why, the daily plan says, "Define adjective." Well, the definition is in the DVD and also on the Building Code, so she gives you what you need, you just have to take ntoes. She expects you to know the program, so she makes you a student of the program as you become a teacher of it. That's why she provides space for note taking. I never realized that my thoughts on "you're paying for teacher training" were actually the intent of the author.

She also believes that teaching the foundations of language arts is so important that it is worth the time to spend watching DVDs. I agree, more than words on a computer can express. I was in such a hurry for so many things that I jumped and ran far too often toward what was easy instead of what was best. There's a price to pay when the foundations aren't solid. At this juncture, PR provides the foundation for me.

So, sorry ladies, the DVDs are here to stay. Definitely a case of "what works for me may not work for you." I don't love the DVDs, but I have watched them in marathon form ONE time each. I never watched them again for any child past the first. I invested the time and now everyone gets the benefits of those efforts. Worth every moment of my time b/c now I'm a Much Better LA teacher.

So far as dyslexia, she said the program is based on the teachings of the person who coined the very term dyslexia (Orton). She has received testimonial after testimonial after testimonial form LD users who have seen a True Difference after using her program. She stands by the program as a viable option of LD students.

She's actually using the program now, you know :) Her grandchildren continue to be taught with Phonics Road and she's having a blast doing it.

I'd encourage you to keep moving forward in the program. You'll find that once you watch the DVDS, you won't need to again and as you progress with the levels, you'll be a better teacher with excellent training in how to apply language arts across the board and how to pull LA from anything you read. I could definitely follow the model and create LA lit. studies that incorporate the writing process from ANY book I used. I learned it all from PR. Each time I get deeper into the "next" level, I continue to be thrilled with what I learn and the most importantly, how much my students benefit. If you've only finished PR1, you're really missing out!

:iagree::iagree: I would love to hear her thoughts on this too. The DVD's are what finally swung the pendulum away from PR when I was trying to decide. This may have been the best decision for us anyway but having to watch the DVD's is a really big deal for me. I have future readers that may benefit from PR. :bigear:

I hear you. As I've said before, I don't particularly enjoy the DVDs; however, you know what was a HUGE deal in my house......remediation. My first child spent from 7th---1/2 of 9th grade filling in gaps I missed b/c of curriculum hopping and poor instruction (ALL my fault). We also cried just about every day when he learned how to read. PR takes care of that completely. I am Amazed at how much more, and how much better my Little League is already doing b/c of PR. I'll say it....NO GAPS. That's right. No gaps! No wasted time. No unnecessary redundancy. All of which add up to...No Worries :) And I'm finding, even as we approach 6th and 4th grade using PR, we still have time to get it "all" done...and for Gilbert Academy, that is a ton (I'm an academic monster).

My favorite thing about PR1...no tears. Alexander the Great hasn't cried one.single.time. while learning how to read....he's #7 child and he's the first one not to cry at least a little. Not.one.tear.

:bigear: as I'm considering a full return to PR (my youngers are using Level One). I do have to say, though, that I have enjoyed the DVDs and all of the tidbits. I have only watched Level One though....

Can't WAIT to hear more from Tina.

:lol::lol::lol:

Have a great vacation Tina and thank you so much for your advice last month regarding PR!! I tried to PM you 3 times with a big thank you, but each time, my computer had issues and my message was erased. I finally bought the PR1 TM! I can't wait to see what you have to say!!!
You're so welcome! Always glad to help.

Tina, Tina, Tina....you've always been so helpful and now you've given us a big teaser and are running off to the beach?!

For shame, for shame....

Have fun and we'll all be here waiting oh so patiently for what you have to say when you return!

Sorry it took me so long I'm in a busy (good busy) place right now.

That's so cool! I was just thinking that I wished she would come to my local convention.

We're loving PR, but I would not object to a written TM either And I would pay extra for a cd with the rule tunes on it for the car!

I'll have to push that CD suggestion :)

If you've only finished PR1, you're really missing out!

:iagree:I have to do another marathon this weekend to get through more of PR3, it is much richer than the lower levels. I don't like the DVD's but I am learning so much, that is the biggest difference with this program and the reason I am sticking to it, I am learning how to teach.

Tina,

Thank-you for sharing all of that....so much of what you shared contains the "whys" behind my initial plunge into PR. My DH wants me to go back to it completely for all of the kids, not just my youngers. Boy, am I gun shy though. My youngers are starting with PR 1 (my rising first grader and K'er). My oldest feels like he's missing out....and now he's "behind" which just upsets me because we could've been wrapping up Level Two this summer and on grade level this fall. I know it doesn't REALLY matter but for some reason it matters to me....I don't like rushing through a Level but I also like to be on grade level if at all possible.

I'm "this close" to going for Level Two with my rising 3rd grader. I have it in my cart...

Thanks again. Good good stuff.

Tina,

Thank-you for sharing all of that....so much of what you shared contains the "whys" behind my initial plunge into PR. My DH wants me to go back to it completely for all of the kids, not just my youngers. Boy, am I gun shy though. My youngers are starting with PR 1 (my rising first grader and K'er). My oldest feels like he's missing out....and now he's "behind" which just upsets me because we could've been wrapping up Level Two this summer and on grade level this fall. I know it doesn't REALLY matter but for some reason it matters to me....I don't like rushing through a Level but I also like to be on grade level if at all possible.

I'm "this close" to going for Level Two with my rising 3rd grader. I have it in my cart...

Thanks again. Good good stuff.

So glad to hear people are hanging in there. It will be So worth it!

Like my pattern today? My school, their school, WTM/FB, food...repeat! :D I have to get ahead again in my school since I've been CHILLIN since convention! It was really nice to have some true me time. I don't get much of that!

Katrina,

Your dh is a smart man :D Believe me, when you get to level 3 with a youngin' you'll be fine to slow down anyway. Honestly, I have seen such advancement in my son (rising 4th grader) that I am happy to slow down in PR and keep moving on at an easy, comfy, no nonsense pace. And believe it or not...I'm inheriting another 8yo in the fall, only this ones a girl :) That means next year I'll have:

PR1 - 1 dgs who knows the sounds and will actually start the program spelling lists and work on dictation (since we started this way, we'll keep on).

PR2 - actually hitting gaps with the new arrival through this summer to get her on course with the other boys. She's got a lot of common public school errors to correct, but she's a very quick study.

PR3 x 3 --- 9yo ds; 8yodgr; 8yodgd (grand daughter) We're actually on Week 7, but I may start from the beginning here, just to give review to the 8yo boy (who needs it, he's been kinda brain fried this spring) and to bring in the 8yo girl. The eldest of this lot is doing SO WELL, but he loves the book enough that he may not have an issue starting again + he needs dictation practice (his weakness).

PR4 11yo, nearly 12, dd should stay on daily pace or at least almost daily pace so she can work through PR4 in 6th grade and perhaps 1/2 of 7th and then pick up Write Shop and Latin Road immediately after. She'll finish Write Shop and head into Writing Aids for high school (RIGHT on schedule :)) Then she'll continue w/ Latin Road for her high school credits.

If you pm with some ideas on where he is in writing, you may be able to do a little skipping. The only hesitation is the few BC that really hit the tougher phoneme teams, so far as grammar. Since you are a WWE lover (right?) I'll bet he can move into 3 better than you think. Ask me some questions. I'll answer ASAP via PM.

PR was one of those programs that did impress me and the idea of the DVD's did not bother me (I agree with Mrs. Beers point on that). What I would have liked to have seen is perhaps some additional offerings for those of us that would prefer using components and not an integrated program. I would have considered PR for grammar for example. I know it's not going to happen but just saying ...;)

PR was one of those programs that did impress me and the idea of the DVD's did not bother me (I agree with Mrs. Beers point on that). What I would have liked to have seen is perhaps some additional offerings for those of us that would prefer using components and not an integrated program. I would have considered PR for grammar for example. I know it's not going to happen but just saying ...;)

Hi :)

It won't happen b/c it would fall out of the philosophy of Application of language arts. It's the application through copy work, dictation, and writing that moves beyond defining and memorizing grammar, and takes it to locating and making relationship connections in the Whole of Language Arts. Kind of like a math where facts are taught and practiced, but never applied in word problems.

I'm telling you..the use of lit. study for the writing process has made writing so much more enjoyable! It's like the boys don't even know they're learning the Writing Process...until I had to go and label it! :tongue_smilie:

Hi :)

It won't happen b/c it would fall out of the philosophy of Application of language arts. It's the application through copy work, dictation, and writing that moves beyond defining and memorizing grammar, and takes it to locating and making relationship connections in the Whole of Language Arts. Kind of like a math where facts are taught and practiced, but never applied in word problems.

I'm telling you..the use of lit. study for the writing process has made writing so much more enjoyable! It's like the boys don't even know they're learning the Writing Process...until I had to go and label it! :tongue_smilie:

Tina, PR would have been great if I had not found Spalding and CW first. I am so excited about both and could not think of changing anything in those areas. After getting my Spalding manual (I have lots of reading to do) I now want to look at possibly using some of the other components also, besides just the spelling but anyway, this thread is about PR. Shurley is probably the only program I would consider dropping in favor of PR (for grammar) but I do understand that the philosophy is what it is and will not change for me :tongue_smilie:. Thank you for taking the time to address some of the concerns on here with Mrs. Beers. Even though it does not affect me presently, I still tend to follow the PR threads when I see them ;).

Tina, PR would have been great if I had not found Spalding and CW first. I am so excited about both and could not think of changing anything in those areas. After getting my Spalding manual (I have lots of reading to do) I now want to look at possibly using some of the other components also, besides just the spelling but anyway, this thread is about PR. Shurley is probably the only program I would consider dropping in favor of PR (for grammar) but I do understand that the philosophy is what it is and will not change for me :tongue_smilie:. Thank you for taking the time to address some of the concerns on here with Mrs. Beers. Even though it does not affect me presently, I still tend to follow the PR threads when I see them ;).

Are you kidding me? I was in lala-land :) The ladies I went to convention with knew exactly where to find me!

Are you kidding me? I was in lala-land :) The ladies I went to convention with knew exactly where to find me!
I have no doubt :D!

Tina....:grouphug:

Thank you for sharing!! I hope you know I was just kidding with you and that you had a marvelous time at the beach!!

I totally get why she does the DVD's and the more I watch the more I learn. I don't really mind them at all. I do wish she would go digital for the student pages so the student manual would be less expensive, but it's still not that bad for all of LA for each grade.

We are back at it on Monday! Now that I've rebound our student books into spiral notebooks I am in heaven! It makes it even more fun to teach.

Tina....:grouphug:

Thank you for sharing!! I hope you know I was just kidding with you and that you had a marvelous time at the beach!!

I totally get why she does the DVD's and the more I watch the more I learn. I don't really mind them at all. I do wish she would go digital for the student pages so the student manual would be less expensive, but it's still not that bad for all of LA for each grade.

We are back at it on Monday! Now that I've rebound our student books into spiral notebooks I am in heaven! It makes it even more fun to teach.

I know you were joking :)

Now, THAT (DE) is a great idea. I'll send that one to Mrs. Beers right away.

Somebody get a new toy (spiral bounder)?

Yes I did!!!

Check out my blog. Spiral bound PR students books are droolworthy!!

Jesse,

Did you get the Pro Click? It doesn't look like the PC so what is it? I tried to zoom in on the photo but the binder name is blurry. Binding the PR binder materials in that way makes excellent sense. I was all set to get a Pro Click but I'd like to hear more about your new baby and how it is better than the PC. You did mention using PC spines with it.....

SHARE SHARE SHARE!!!!!

Thanks for sharing, Tina. I don't mind the DVDs but I still think it could all be placed into book form for the same effect (and lower price), but I assume that the DVDs are part of what helps the program profit as well. People would be even harder pressed to pay out the cash for an instructional book in place of the DVDs and adding the book would only raise the cost...so there's no really good solution for her business wise other than to leave things as they are.

We're finishing up PR1 this week and will be excited to start PR2 in the late summer. :)

Thanks so much, Tina! I totally understand why she does the dvds; unfortunately it just doesn't work for us. I do think it could be done with a TM and then some minimal dvd instruction. But like Cindy said, I'm sure some of it is profit reasons too (I don't mean that in a bad way).

It is a GREAT program though and I'm glad it helps so many people! :) I will NEVER regret doing PR1-it was a Godsend; just the right thing at the right time.

Jesse,

Did you get the Pro Click? It doesn't look like the PC so what is it? I tried to zoom in on the photo but the binder name is blurry. Binding the PR binder materials in that way makes excellent sense. I was all set to get a Pro Click but I'd like to hear more about your new baby and how it is better than the PC. You did mention using PC spines with it.....

SHARE SHARE SHARE!!!!!

Total hijack here, but I figured it out. It is a Sircle WR-1500. Amazon has it for $199, but Binding Depot has it for $183 w/free shipping (+ an unspecified gas card).

I bound my PR stuff with my ProClick and spirals that I bought in the mini co-op purchase LoveBaby arranged a couple of weeks ago. I love it so much more in spiral form...easier for me to flip around in my TG and easier for kids to write in their books without having to remove pages or deal with the binder.

Total hijack here, but I figured it out. It is a Sircle WR-1500. Amazon has it for $199, but Binding Depot has it for $183 w/free shipping (+ an unspecified gas card).

That's it! I just blogged about it.

I actually ordered a different model from Bindingmachine.com, but it was backordered so they upgraded me to the WR-1500! I highly recommend them!

That's it! I just blogged about it.

I actually ordered a different model from Bindingmachine.com, but it was backordered so they upgraded me to the WR-1500! I highly recommend them!

Why did you go for this binding machine over the Pro Click? PC is pretty reasonable....there must be something awesome about the WR-1500 to make it worth that much more $$!!!! Will you compare and contrast? Oooh, I think I'll check the blog entry you did....:001_smile:

Why did you go for this binding machine over the Pro Click? PC is pretty reasonable....there must be something awesome about the WR-1500 to make it worth that much more $$!!!! Will you compare and contrast? Oooh, I think I'll check the blog entry you did....:001_smile:

I wouldn't have gotten this machine if they hadn't upgraded me. When I was looking, the ProClick was about $80...the wire binding machine I wanted was about $100 + free shipping + free supplies, so it worked out to be about the same as the ProClick. They upgraded me to the WR-1500 because the other machine was backordered for nearly 3 months.

I wouldn't have gotten this machine if they hadn't upgraded me. When I was looking, the ProClick was about $80...the wire binding machine I wanted was about $100 + free shipping + free supplies, so it worked out to be about the same as the ProClick. They upgraded me to the WR-1500 because the other machine was backordered for nearly 3 months.

They look very nice :). I like spiral binding personally. My only concern is that you are unable to add pages in them, at least the spiral binding that I used to know. Is there an option with the new machines where you can somehow add pages to the books without having to remove the entire spiral binding to add a new one?

You have to remove the spiral to add more pages. I thought I would really like proclick for the ease of adding/removing, but so far they aren't my favorite.

Thank you! I actually went back and read the post in your blog and noticed that the answer was there. I have not seen the proclick up close but from pics online I prefer coil also. It is something I am considering for the future, since I won't be able to continue with binders alone. What I would like to do is to create a final notebook per subject at the end of each year with the boys' best work. I am sure I would find many other uses for it too. Not in our budget right now but a binding machine and laminator are two toys I would really love to get some day soon ;). Enjoy your new toy :)!

I wish PR kept up in The Latin Road as a complete LA program. We get this great foundation then we have to go find something else for writing, lit study, and spelling once they hit The Bridge and Latin Road.

Edited by Guest

I wish PR kept up in The Latin Road as a complete LA program. We get this get foundation then we have to go find something else for writing, lit study, and spelling once they hit The Bridge and Latin Road.

I think, that by the time PR 4 is completed, spelling isn't really necessary anymore. Creating lists of missed words found in their writing and then marking/reviewing those words would be sufficient, IMO.

Mrs. Beers recommends IEW for writing and progeny press guides for lit study, if I remember correctly from an email from her.

I'm assuming that the foundation laid in PR is strong enough that it will be easy to jump into any writing or lit program and be able to be successful at it. Although I know what you mean - it would be great it it went all the way through.

I wish PR kept up in The Latin Road as a complete LA program. We get this great foundation then we have to go find something else for writing, lit study, and spelling once they hit The Bridge and Latin Road.

Write Shop is another great follow up (along w/ IEW). Since you do a word study, you are getting spelling still, as your dc continues to recognize french/greek/latin roots, they will understand the spelling behind many words.