Menu

Afterschool for 1st Grade

Hi,

I was wondering what your plans are or what you did for afterschooling first grade?

I am all set for Math, I plan on using Singapore but would love other suggestions or areas you focused on. I am trying to get myself geared up for September.

Thanks,

Tiffany

I will for sure do Saxon 1, Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading and Explode the code for phonics, and First Language lessons/Writing with ease for language arts. Now my hope is to add in Noeo Science and Living Books Curriculum for history on the weekends. I'm not sure how we are going to get it all done, but the 3R's are a must. The rest will just be great if we can!

we are also doing Singapore math. In addition we are working with Growing with Grammar and SOTW. History seems to be a big hit with my boys. We started to work on logic as well. Prufrock Press has losts of materials on logic.

Aly, can you tell me more about EPGY? I posted on advanced learner board. We thought about adding EPGY math, but I can't decide if it's valuable in addition to Singapore.

My 1st grade must are Saxon 1, Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching/Explode the code for phonics and First language lessons 1 and Writing with ease 1 for language arts. Living books curriculum for history and Noeo Biology for Science are the things I wish to do. If they get done it will be on the weekends.

We also focused most on math and are currently nearing the end of First Grade. We did 1A/1B of Singapore last year for K and are just finishing up 2B of the core Standards Edition with some IP and CWP work to finish this summer.

Singapore math is a great afterschooling program from my perspective. it is powerful and time efficient.

Best wishes,

Bill

We are in the middle of first grade (will be done by mid-November).

At the moment, I'm mostly focussing on maths and grammar with dd. On most weekdays, we have done 2 MEP lessons (for maths), one WWE lesson (narration or copywork) and diagrammed 1 sentence for grammar. My dh does another language with her.

On weekends, we've read from SOTW or from the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of History. We are not doing anything formal for Science yet. We've also dropped spelling for now, because dd is a strong reader and a natural speller. We've also done another maths programme (CSMP) on weekends.

Thanks for the input. I am trying to figure it out since we will have soccer in the fall (why I agree to that I don't know :lol:). Anyway I am hoping initially to do math daily and phonics/language arts daily or every other day.

I am one of those people who needs a schedule. I am also not sure how much homework she will be getting in first grade so that will throw a wrench in my plans too!

Thanks for the input. I am trying to figure it out since we will have soccer in the fall (why I agree to that I don't know :lol:). Anyway I am hoping initially to do math daily and phonics/language arts daily or every other day.

I am one of those people who needs a schedule. I am also not sure how much homework she will be getting in first grade so that will throw a wrench in my plans too!

My advice is to be ready to throw a hard "schedule" of the window. Try to make the "home education" lessons fit into your life, rather than trying to fit your life into your lesson planning.

Fill the downtime, grab opportunities when they present themselves, but don't miss out on fun opportunities that come up because there is a schedule.

It is advice I have to remind myself to follow, but....

Bill

I afterschool my son this past year who is 1 1st grader.

I only do math (Singapore). I do 4 days a week and 30-45 mins a day. It does getting tough. He has his regular school work which I try to balance that up to his level. sports, music. Sometimes he just so burn out from school (playung too much I think) and didn't want to do anything. Be floexible and remeber that he is just 1st grade.

Also communicate to his teacher that what you do at home and if possible, substitute his homework with your afterschool work (DS's school didn't like that , but I am the Mom, I know he best, So I let him skip HW)

My only suggestion is to try out your possible schedule during the summer when everyone's more relaxed and willing. That way when September rolls around your kid will feel like it's second nature to "homeschool" and won't hate it. Also, you'll know what your child is capable of and you'll feel more comfortable with the curriculum you've chosen.

Thanks everyone.. I know that whatever schedule I set will have a large dependency on how much work we get for homework. My daughter is one of those kids that needs 10-11 hours of sleep so her bed time is pretty much set and that is very important for everyone :lol:

However, I am going to try and set a schedule this summer of the topics I would like to cover in fall so she gets used to it. We will adjust as needed. Like I said during soccer season everything is tough :ack: I am one of those people who need a schedule to shoot for otherwise I will never organize myself :lol:

I do know that of all subjects Math is the most important for us.

Thanks everyone.. I know that whatever schedule I set will have a large dependency on how much work we get for homework. My daughter is one of those kids that needs 10-11 hours of sleep so her bed time is pretty much set and that is very important for everyone :lol:

However, I am going to try and set a schedule this summer of the topics I would like to cover in fall so she gets used to it. We will adjust as needed. Like I said during soccer season everything is tough :ack: I am one of those people who need a schedule to shoot for otherwise I will never organize myself :lol:

I do know that of all subjects Math is the most important for us.

I'm not generally prone to "metaphorical thinking" but on the after-schooling front I have developed this thought of being like water that ebbs and flows and moves to fills the cracks of time.

So when there are "opportunities" I take them. When soccer practice creates an island in the stream I flow around it.

I'm not sure if this helps, or if you will begin to question my sanity, but it works for me :D

Bill

:001_smile: Soccer is more of a dam in our house ... but she loves it. So we support it! With 2 working parents and 2 practices a week going for 90 minutes it's good times :001_smile:

Lets just say those nights dinners are leftovers!

I'm not generally prone to "metaphorical thinking" but on the after-schooling front I have developed this thought of being like water that ebbs and flows and moves to fills the cracks of time.

So when there are "opportunities" I take them. When soccer practice creates an island in the stream I flow around it.

I'm not sure if this helps, or if you will begin to question my sanity, but it works for me :D

Bill

That ship sailed long, long ago. :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Yes, this.

Soccer takes up a lot of time at our house, too, what with four kids playing and DH coaching four teams. But, the little kids and I play soccer jersey algebra at big brothers' games, we read and listen to books in the car and while waiting at practices. And, we do a lot of soccer geography and cultural stuff.